“Decent accommodation but unacceptable problems at check-in” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Holyrood Hotel

You added Macdonald Holyrood Hotel to your Saves list
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AU, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)   |
Ranked #78 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Decent accommodation but unacceptable problems at check-in”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

In July 2012 we booked 2 rooms - 1 double and 1 twin - at the Macdonald Holyrood hotel in Edinburgh for a weekend in July 2013. We booked 12 months in advance as we were visiting for The Open (golf) and knew that hotel rooms would be hard to find in the city over this weekend. After a long drive we were greeted with the news at reception that only 1 room had been reserved and that the hotel was full. I showed the Late Rooms booking confirmation to the reception manager, who acknowledged that I had made no mistake, however he maintained that Late Rooms had communicated to the hotel that just 1 room had been booked. Obviously I don't know who's fault this was, Late Rooms or the hotel, but the point remained that we had only been reserved 1 room. Standing firm I told the reception manager that his suggestion for us to take a room at their sister hotel was unacceptable and not what we had booked, 12 months in advance. Eventually he presented us with keys for a room which I can only assume left another poor guest without a place to stay for the night. Regardless, we now had 2 rooms. Overall the reception manager did his best to help and I can't really criticise him. I was also grateful to him for providing free car parking as recompense for the hassle. However, to book hotel rooms 12 months in advance and then travel a long distance to be told that the room(s) are not available is completely unacceptable. It is highly unlikely that I will book into another Macdonald hotel after this experience.

• Stayed July 2013
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear ARHar,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel following your stay with us.

I was sorry to note your experience upon check in. It would appear having now investigated your feedback that the 3rd party booking agent you booked through only advised us of one room, hence the mix up. The Reception Manager did acknowledge this mistake and did his upmost to have it quickly rectified. I am sorry that this held the check in process up given that you had such a long car journey to get to us and that you had booked 12 months prior.

It is great shame that you feel you would not return due to this booking error, however I can assure you that this oversight was not on our part and that my colleague did everything he could at the time.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future trip to Scotland to which I would be happy to assist you with.

Kindest regards
Pamela McAllister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Hotel was great, they looked after our bags from 9am (weren't supposed to check in until 2pm) and took them straight to our room. Lovely room immaculately clean, staff were very chatty and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and plenty on offer for everyone.
Swimming pool and gym were great, steam room and sauna very good. Changing room showers looked a bit tatty but not sure if they were being renovated.
Rooms were quite warm even with air conditioning on but we weren't too worried about this.
Top tip: definitely put a do not disturb sign on your door if you intend to stay in bed later than 9am!

Room Tip: Ask for views overlooking the hills / Scottish parliament!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lasenbizzle,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I was really pleased to learn that you found the location, food and staff to your liking!

We appreciate such lovely feedback and look forward to welcoming you back!

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were on a CIE Tour and spent 2 nights here in June, 2013. It was a great time and loved the location. Service was a little slow in the restaurant at breakfast but the food was good, the staff was quite helpful and our room was fine - no problems. (with 25 people coming in at once with luggage, it could be difficult)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Sharon908,

Thank you for your review, I am so glad you have a lovely visit to Edinburgh and that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team will be pleased when I share this with them.

I hope to welcome you back on a future trip to sunny Scotland!

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

put into this hotel as everywhere very busy. I was upgraded to an executive room just as well as the weather was baking and the air condition didn't work. Large room with 4 windows that opened and also had a fan. The other good thing was the free champagne and canapes at 6.00pm in the library. Good gym and a good sized pool to cool down in but the showers in the changing rooms need some refurbishment. Beware of the breakfast surcharges for smoked salmon or kippers.

Room Tip: executive rooms are larger and get free access to the library for free champagne
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Clarky57,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, and that you were upgraded to one of feature rooms.

The hotel is about to undergo a phased refurbishment over the next few months to which the pool and changing facilities are a part of. This will give the hotel a fresh new look and feel after successfully operating for 13 years.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to Edinburgh.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Quiet, well appointed, with easy access to sights. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Good breakfast, with plenty of choice and cooked items prepared to order.
In need of some updating, carpets, leisure facilities in particular.
Will stay again.

Dear George S,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel based on your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the location, staff and food to your liking.

We do hope you will return in the future to experience our newly refurbished property.

Warmest regards
Wakefield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a nice hotel, in a great location if you are staying in Edinburgh but is isn't value for money.
The rooms are adequate and the service is good. The staff are pleasant and helpful. However the hotel is overpriced even for Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stevo2010,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel regarding your recent stay. I am glad you found the location, service and staff to your expectations.

I am sorry you felt that we are overpriced for Edinburgh, however I can assure you that we cross check our prices weekly with our 4 star competitors to ensure we deliver the best rates possible to our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Warmest regards
Kinghorn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

To celebrate our anniversary on 11th May 2013, we booked tickets to see Derren Brown at the Playhouse theatre in Edinburgh. To make this day even more special we booked overnight accommodation in your hotel in Holyrood at a cost of £109.

I would like to timeline the following events so that you will hopefully understand our awful experience more fully.

10:45 am – We arrived at the hotel and were extremely happy that in fact a room was ready for us so we could leave our luggage and head off into Edinburgh for shopping.

1:30 pm – We arrived back at the hotel feeling a bit tired and looking forward to a sleep before going out in the evening.

1.35 pm – My wife got into bed and was instantly alarmed by the feeling of wetness underneath the duvet cover. We immediately peeled back the sheet and the mattress was visibly soaking and the substantial wet area had brownish edges and smelled like urine. My wife was very upset and felt extremely dirty as her body and nightclothes were contaminated. She then immediately called reception and was advised that the duty manager would be with us shortly..

2.00 pm – After what was a long period the duty manager appeared and although she did apologise it did not seem sincere as she was more concerned about how the stain got there rather than my wife’s welfare. She advised that we would be moved and she left and said she would be back shortly

2.30 pm – The duty manager appeared back in our room with a colleague who looked at the stain and suggested that the mark maybe was water based...This coupled with comments of ‘I don’t know how room service would have missed this’ and ’no-one had stayed in the room the evening before’ seemed to insinuate that we had something to do with it. This caused us to feel really angry and my wife burst into tears. Remember, this will have been now around an hour and my wife had not had the opportunity to clean herself. The duty manager left us a key for another room and my wife and I headed up there.

2.40 pm – We reached our alternative accommodation and guess what the room had not been serviced from the evening before.
2.45 pm – We immediately grabbed our luggage and headed down to reception where we spoke again to the female duty manager. Her first reaction when we told her about the new room was again negative and defensive towards us as she said that she had inspected the room herself and it was ok. On further investigation, it transpired that we were given the wrong room keys. A new male duty manager appeared, apologised and took our luggage up to the room while we received a free drink. Had we not already booked the theatre we would have walked out of the hotel and went back home to Fife

3.00 pm – We entered the new room which was ok thankfully. My wife then had her shower (approx an hour and a half after the event) and we then had to get ready to go out for the evening so no planned rest!!.

In Summary, my wife and I spend many long weekends away from home in both the UK and Abroad and we have NEVER experienced anything like this. I would also like to say that this is also the first time we have stayed in a MacDonalds hotel.

Whilst we were offered a free drink and a complimentary taxi into town, I feel that our complaint did not receive the attention it certainly warranted as your staff did not seem as concerned as I believe they should have been. I am also disappointed that we were not contacted in the evening or the next morning to enquire if everything was now ok.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Billkinghorn,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your feedback regarding your stay back in May.

I am sorry you felt that your concerns and feedback were not handled with care and sympathy at the time. I did make contact you and offer our sincere apologies along with an offer of a complimentary stay in lieu of your experience on a future visit for any inconvenience and upset that this caused toward you both.

I am happy to discuss this matter further with you as I had mentioned at the time.

Kindest regards
Pamela McAllister

Been to Macdonald Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!