“Peaceful and pleasant hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Holyrood Hotel

You added Macdonald Holyrood Hotel to your Saves list
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AU, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #72 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Peaceful and pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We wanted a hotel that was in the centre of Edinburgh but not all the hustle and bustle that would go with bang slap in the centre of town. The hotel is in the university and parliament areas of town and various bus routes run from right outside the front door. The 35 bus runs directly between the airport and Ocean Terminal (Britannia and shopping mall) stopping at Parliament/Holyrood on the way.
We walked from Waverley station which is no big ask, about 15 minutes. Check is was efficient and we were allocated a room on the 6th floor which was probably the smallest of all the Macdonald hotel rooms we've had but had a very comfortable bed, flat screen tv on the wall and an ensuite bathroom with a single sink. There is also a Library on the 6th floor where residents can enjoy tea, coffee, newspapers etc.
My main criteria is for quiet corridors and no slamming doors which I'm glad to say were no problem here. We stayed for 2 nights and the housekeeping service was very efficient while we were out of the room on day 2.
I rarely eat in a hotel restaurant but on this occasion, I'm glad we did. Charming restaurant with a lovely varied menu sits just off the main reception area. Recommended and not too expensive.
So, only a stones throw from the Royal Mile, quiet, efficient and a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The higher the better. 6th floor is dubbed The Butler Floor, complimentary access to Library with te...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kendal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked this hotel as we were looking for a nice hotel somewhere close to Parliament Square where we were attending a wedding. We got a good deal on a website (about £75 per room per night).

The standard room we had was fairly small but comfortable with a nice bathroom. It felt like a business type hotel rather than a holiday destination. Staff were very helpful and friendly but other than that there was nothing that really stood out other than 2 things:

- The hotel does an excellent late checkout deal. An extra 4hrs (until 16:00) and 2 course lunch for 2 in the bar for £40 total!

- The drinks prices in the bar are EXTORTIONATE! We had 4 drinks and the bill came to nearly £40! A place that charges £3 for a 200ml Schweppes mixer needs to be a bit more special than this in my opinion.

There was also a funny moment with my breakfast. I ordered the cooked breakfast and selected black pudding and poached eggs as options. My plate arrives with a single poached egg and a slice of black pudding but nothing else! Someone wasn't on the ball that day!

In summary, worth it if you can get a good deal but get your drinks somewhere else!

Northumberland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is just a block off the Holyrood Palace end of the Royal Mile. The neighborhood is quiet and less bustling than the Grassmarket/Edinburgh castle end of the MIle. Hotel is modern and my room was clean, cozy and pretty quiet and relaxing at the back of the hotel. Though there were a few stains on the carpet and I saw a bit of black mold or something above he bath/shower area, these did not bother the general air of comfort and cleanliness of the room. The bathroom did not have a high powered ventilation fan which no doubt lead to some dampness at some time. Less restaurants and night life at this end of the Mile.

Room Tip: Recommend staying on above first or second floor to reduce noise from street and parking area at rea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I can't praise this hotel enough. I have stayed here a few times and everytime has been a wonderful experience.

We arrived and checked in with the friendly reception staff whilst the concierge took our car off to the parking garage. (Parking isn't cheap but then it isn't cheap anywhere in Edinburgh!).

Our room was lovely, immaculately clean with a large comfortable bed. We slept well for both nights.

We ate dinner in the restaurant on the first evening and the food was very good, as was breakfast, with a varied buffet selection and also hot items on order.

The hotel is in a great position for exploring the old town, right next to the Scottish Parliament building.

The Spa is well equipped and the pool is lovely. One tip is to book ahead for your spa treatments as they tend to get quite busy at the weekend.

If you're going to Edinburgh (and everyone should) then this is the hotel to stay in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wickford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just want to say a huge thank you to Pamela and the team at the Holyrood Hotel for making our trip perfect. They were extremely accomodating given the issues we had on our previous visit earlier this year. Totally faultless. Next time we're in Edinburgh we will definitely stay again.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My Mum and I stayed here for a few nights on a short break to Edinburgh. I called the hotel in advance to see if they had peppermint tea and/or hot chocolate stocked in the rooms and was told that although they didn't have hot choc they did have peppermint tea, I therefore didn't take any of my own. On arrival and gasping for a cuppa I was disappointed to see there wasn't any! I spoke to reception who said they would look into it and get back to me. A call to the room about 5 minutes later informed me they didn't stock peppermint tea at all but someone would go to Tesco and get me some - now that's service!! However it all went a bit downhill from there. On our second night we decided to eat at the hotel. We were seated and our orders taken - we both decided on gammon and chips and a portion of onion rings. A few minutes later our water came back and told us they were out of gammon. I don't know why he wouldn't have been told this to start with. We then ordered a chicken and mushroom pie and chips and a pasta dish. This order was taken by a different waiter. When these meals arrived the chips weren't cooked and the pasta was incredibly salty! By this point we were both starving so made the most of it. When our bill came we had been charged for the gammon and the onion rings and the two meals we had actually had. The second bill still had the onion rings on it, third time lucky! We also noticed that other people appeared to have issues with their orders at both dinner and breakfast with steaks being cooked wrongly and the wrong tea being delivered to a table. I don't know if they have recently taken on new staff or what but it wasn't what i would have expected from a four star hotel!
The room was lovely with plenty of space, a great shower and lots of hangers. The tea and coffee supplies were plentiful (although more milk would have been useful!)
I made use of the pool and it was great with large changing rooms, shower gel and shampoo and towels supplied, i also had it to myself for most of the time I was there!
The bill was left under our door on our last night and I was a little disappointed to see a charity donation had been added. It was only a £1 but I felt it was wrong to put it on there as I then felt a right miser querying it in the morning!
Overall a pleasant stay but it could have been soooooo much better!

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor so no waiting for lifts and only a few steps to get up!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Inverness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was attending a conference at this hotel and a buffet lunch was provided. The room for the conference was ideal and the lunch was fabulous - plenty to eat, a good choice of cold and hot food, both for meat eaters and vegetarians and the staff serving us were lovely and very attentive..It made a great surprise as I always expect dried curled up sandwiches at these events!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Macdonald Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!