“Cosy, comfortabe stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Channings Hotel

You added Channings Hotel to your Saves list
Channings Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12-16 S Learmonth Gardens, Edinburgh EH4 1EZ, Scotland (Stockbridge)   |
Ranked #53 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Cosy, comfortabe stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

On booking our room at Channings I had requested a romantic room and that is what we got. We walked into a large comfortable and very cosy room with the biggest bathroom I have ever seen! In one corner a wet room with massive shower and in the other corner a roll top bath. All decorated very tastefully.

Breakfast was gorgeous with attentive, friendly staff. With daily papers in the lounge area every morning, we relaxed for an hour, reading and deciding what to do for rest of day.

We ordered room service one night and half an hour later it arrived, hot and very tasty. No complaints about the food or the staff. One morning after a late night we hung the do not disturb sign on door. Reception rang the room about 11am to check if we wanted room cleaned, I said no thank you and when we eventually left the room, there was a bag outside with clean towels and loo rolls in it! Very thoughtful.

The hotel is round the corner from a main bus route if you don't fancy the 15 minute walk into town. Taxis were only £5 onto Princes Street.

The only small complaint I have is that the lighting could have been better over the mirror, as I struggled putting on my war paint!

All in all we had a fabulous, romantic stay at The Channings and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for The Quest room. Beautiful!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Channings was Edinburgh Hotel of the Year in 2004 and they may be beginning to trade on reputation rather than on-goings standards and service. My experience began with an unhelpful telephone conversation where I tried to book directly with the hotel as opposed to through an intermediary; a simple "we can't price match" would have been sufficient but instead I was treated to the view that I was somewhat simple for thinking that might be possible. Never one to miss a bargain, I went ahead and booked through said intermediary.

First impressions are relatively good; the public sitting rooms are plentiful and tastefully decorated and were suitably cosy on a cold winter's afternoon. We were installed in room 2 which seemed a little out of the way - having to pass a makeshift furniture storage area en route. The passageway doors were crying out to be painted. The bedroom was tastefully decorated and a good size, ample tea and coffee and extremely comfortable bed. The main problem was the bathroom. Whilst an excellent size with drench shower it was absolutely freezing (one radiator/towel rail but a huge window) and the sink was cracked with a tap that leaked more over the sink than into it. There was also an issue with ?plumbing with a room above that lead to a noise akin to a prolonged train horn vibrating the entire room.

Breakfast was delicious with plentiful supplies and decent service but, again, the surroundings were a let down. Looking generally shabby and my chair was covered with multiple stains and ingrained food. The food menu in general for Channings (dining room and in-room) seemed really reasonably priced - for those with breakfast not included the charge is £10.95 which is way cheaper than most decent hotels).

Overall, therefore, Channings is in need of some serious TLC from a maintenance crew. Surroundings aside, I'd probably have graded this a 4 out of 5 (bearing in mind the £100 bargain that we obtained), but when you want to compete with the other Edinburgh boutique hotels, attention to detail really counts.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Armagh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely quiet residential area and has lovely period character. The room was comfortable at the front of the building overlooking the little park and the rooftops of Comley Bank/Stockbridge, period style furniture and fittings but has no fridge. The furnishings were in keeping with the style of the building if a little tired and one light shade was actually torn. The bathroom was acceptible but the bath was stained / dirty marks and the sink basin chipped. The toilet did not flush properly, but we managed. On returning to the hotel after a long day shopping we found our room very cold and no heat coming from the radiator, we were tired so just went to bed. The allowing morning still no heat and breakfast room uncomfortably cold also, when I enquired at reception (a gentleman in front of me was also complaining about the cold rooms) I was told lots of rooms were effected and the boiler would hopefully be fixed, even though it was the weekend!
On the Friday morning after breakfast I enquired about booking a table that evening in the
restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked because of vouchers issued to the general public so though we were residents we could not be accommodated in the restaurant.
Surprisingly that evening after eating in town we went to the bar for an evening drink and were asked by the waitress if we were having anything to eat!! We were not informed that morning by the receptionist that this was possible and were very dissappointed to say the least.
Breakfast differed from being overdone and served on an extremely hot plate to perfectly cooked, amount also varied, I can only surmise different chefs, different mornings.
This is an old building and old boilers/heating system appears to be problematic after reading previous reviews and experiencing the problem myself. It is situated in a lovely quiet area within walking distance of Princes St and Stockbridge but some areas need a little smartening up !!
Oh and our Tea tray was not replenished with clean cups during our 3 days there!

Room Tip: Front rooms get lovely views! Heating can be an issue so bring warm clothes!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
NORTH WEST ENGLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I had high hopes for this hotel and I stayed there for one night last weekend. This establishment has many positive points. The restaurant staff were very professional, as were the reception staff. I was lucky enough to stay in a junior suite. The room was very nice and the bathroom was the best I have seen, complete with orange roll top bath. The restaurant menu was standard and I would rate the food as acceptable. It is true that some of the building could benefit from small redecoration jobs, and there is no indicator on the lift, but this is no major issue. There was a fault with the heating, which I raised with the management and it was eventually resolved. It was slightly unfortunate however that the Manager did not see it as a basic management function to check the heating was working before rooms were allocated to guests - in spite of it being the most expensive room in the hotel, especially when I was informed that engineers had dealt with the heating system earlier in the day. Not sure really if I would choose to stay there again - for £200 there would be other options, but I did have a great visit to the Scottish Capital and I am grateful to the restaurant and reception staff for playing their part in that.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in the evenings of 11 & 12 October 2013. The total cost for bed and breakfast was £289 for a superior room. We booked this through Superbreak. We were allocated room 1 which is at the front of the hotel and has a four poster bed and large bay window, along with a large bathroom which has an enormous bath with good shower over. When we first arrived the room was cold, the radiator wasn't on. I phoned through to reception to be told that the receptionist would tell the duty manager. We waited for half an hour, still no heat, so my husband rang reception. He was told that there was a problem with the heating and the radiator should start to warm up in half an hour. This it did, but no matter how high you turned up the radiator it never went above warm. This bedroom is big with high ceilings and the radiator just doesn't give out enough heat. There are water marks on the wall by the wardrobe and close to the tea making cabinet. The mind boggles on how they got there. The door knob on the outside of the bathroom door doesn't work so you can't close the door when you leave the bathroom. The water outlet in the otherwise nice bath is falling apart and looks unattractive. However, I would have overlooked all the above if the outrageous behaviour of the hotel management hadn't occurred on the evening of the 12 October.

We had eaten in the bar area on the evening of the 11 October and
it was very nice, reasonably priced, the staff were pleasant and the bar has a nice ambience. As the hotel is a little out of the way from the centre of the city a good bar with food is essential and this is the main reason we booked the hotel. On Saturday we went sightseeing all day, and returned to our room about 5pm. After a nap, we showered, changed and made our way to the bar about 8pm, hoping for good food and a glass of wine as the night before. However, when we got to the stairs to go down to the bar there was a note to say that due to a private function in the restaurant no food would be available that night in the bar. We went straight to reception to ask what was going on. NOW THIS IS THE INTERESTING BIT. The receptionist said that a similar notice had been on the reception desk since 4pm (and yes it was there when we stood there at 8pm.) I then remarked that we hadn't seen it when we got back from sightseeing, indeed why would we as we hadn't stopped at the desk on the way back to our room. The general attitude came across that it was for us to be aware of the non availability of a facility we had paid good money for and not the responsibility of the hotel to either provide it or let us know either by leaving a message on the bedroom phones or something as old fashioned as putting a note under your bedroom door.
This is not 4star service from a supposedly 4star hotel. We had to drag our tired feet out to Princes Street (a good 20 minute walk) and find somewhere to have our supper, something that was not on our itinerary. I emailed the hotel with my complaint upon our return and was promised a response within 7 days. Needless to say, I didn't get one. I cannot express how upset we both are over this and goes some way to confirming that the hotel industry in general and this hotel in particular simply don't put the hotel guests at the forefront of their operations. Far better to feed some people on what I can only assume to be a last minute booking (otherwise I am sure the notices would have been posted far earlier than 4pm) than to cater for guests who had already paid for the facility of food on the premises in the evening

The moral of this is even if a hotel offers and expects you to pay for the privilege of food facilities it doesn't mean they will provide it. This has left a bad taste in our mouths (forgive the pun) and we will never visit this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I could not have made a better choice with the Channings Hotel in Edinburgh. The neighbourhood is gorgeous and so peaceful. And yet, only steps away you are at a main thoroughfare and, within 10-15 minutes walking, you are in the hustle and bustle of the downtown core of the city. Note that if you prefer public transit, it is very close by as well.

The hotel itself oozes with charm, atmosphere and history and was perfect for a writer such as myself. The room was very cozy (the duvet provided a magical amount of warmth) and pristine and the breakfast delicious and hearty. Overall, I thought the pricing was particularly great value and the staff were all so very helpful, knowledgeable and went above and beyond the call of duty.

One can always find fault with little things in accommodations, but it's the quirks that make travelling an adventure. How boring it would be if everywhere we stayed was just like home! I would stay at the Channings Hotel again in a New York minute and I really hope to do so again, sooner than later.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room with a view and they delivered.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Many thanks to this guest for such a warm and enthusiastic review of Channing's - I am delighted to read that they had great time and were able to appreciate the quiet nature of this wonderful property
Leon Kiteley
Tarbert, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for two nights (17&18th Oct) on arrival were told we were being upgraded to the Nimrod room, nice surprise. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated. Couple of things I would like to say about the room, very creaky floorboards not only in our room but also heard the creaks from other rooms. Bathroom large and lovely but the grouting in the shower could be cleaned, it really could make a difference.

Breakfast first morning was a little over cooked for my liking but was much better on the second morning. We ate in the bar on the Friday evening I ordered carbonara but could not eat it as all you could taste was garlic and I do like garlic. Waiter made no apology when I mentioned this to him when taking our plates away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Super review although allow me to apologise for the excess use of garlic - we will be more restrained in future
Leon Kiteley

Been to Channings Hotel? Share your experiences!