“cosy and friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Channings Hotel

Save Saved
You added Channings Hotel to your Saves list
Channings Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12-16 S Learmonth Gardens, Edinburgh EH4 1EZ, Scotland (Stockbridge)   |
Ranked #57 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
“cosy and friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I Stayed here with my girlfriend for Hogmany 2012. 15 mins walk to princess st. Nice and clean hotel. Really friendly staff who even whipped me up some stew when I staggered in at 2am after the new year hogmany. Good selection of whisky too. Highly recommended . There is also some free street parking about half a mile away down the road for those who are driving.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

653 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at Channings over Christmas. Our room was spacious and had a tremendous view over Learmonth Gardens, the north of the city and beyond. Breakfast was taken in the basement conservatory and consisted of a fine selection of hot and cold dishes. There were several communal areas to sit and relax and a open coal effect gas fire in the reception area made for a very welcoming atmosphere. We will stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Let me preface with this: I travel A LOT. Mostly for work, but some personal. I've stayed at many hotels around the world, of every caliber. I can say with 100% honesty that the my stay at Channings will be remembered forever.

Our trip was booked last minute, one month before departing to celebrate New Years in Edinburgh. We chose Channings based upon Trip Advisor reviews. The property looked quaint, the location quiet and lovely, and the reviews really sold us on our selection. All this being said, nothing could have prepared me for just how beautiful a stay it truly would be.

My confidence that we'd made the right choice in terms of accommodations was solidified weeks before our arrival. I had emailed our hotel to make sure the room had two beds (as I was rooming with a friend), within hours I had an email confirmation, followed by a phone call and offers to help us plan our trip. Our concierge, Scott, truly loves his city and poured that love and attention into helping us with our plans... or actually making our plans for us. Everything was turn-key and easy. He made sure to tell us the best places to stand to watch events like the Torchlight Procession and the Fireworks, the best places to shop, the best restaurants for any cuisine you can imagine, the must see attractions and tours, etc. so that we got the most out of our short, 5 day trip. He took the time to ask questions, get to know the types of things we'd be interested in doing and surprised us daily with additions to our itinerary which, all together, made this literally the trip of a lifetime.

Scott wasn't the only member of the staff who made our trip memorable, everyone at Channings was warm, welcoming and lovely. On our last night (NYE) we arrived back at Channings well after midnight, tired and hungry but still reeling from the excitement of the night. The kitchen was closed but Kevin, the night concierge, graciously appeared with a sandwich to tie us over til morning. The best part was... he cut off the crust. C'mon now! I LOVE THIS HOTEL and I will certainly return.

Thank you Channings! I hope you all know how special you are!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The incomparable staff at Channings made my recent holiday in Edinburgh absolutely magical. Channings is located in a quiet, beautiful neighborhood with very easy access to all that Edinburgh has to offer- shopping, sights, pubs and fun. Situated on a gorgeous street in a lovely set of townhouses, Channings is incredibly charming and its employees felt like old friends. Willing to go the extra mile for us, they made sure we had bookings in the best restaurants and tickets for the best events. A clean, comfortable setting, Channings really made our stay perfect. I'd give anything to be sitting in front of the fire at Channings enjoying a glass of prosecco right now!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back have a lovely garden view. I asked for a room facing the street and was not d...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Well worth a visit, all staff polite and attentive.we stayed in the endurance suite. The additional cost to stay in the suite was well worth it just for the bathroom alone. Beautiful roll top bath and power shower.
Breakfast was buffet plus full english and supplements for fish dishes.
Dined in the restaurant , menu limited however food well presented and tasted good.
Overall an excellant stay and would love to return.

• Stayed January 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay at Channings and would definitely recommend this hotel! We stayed in one of the themed superior rooms, with an amazing bathroom and rooftop views over Edinburgh. The staff were the friendliest I've ever encountered, helpful with every request. The breakfast was fab with lots to choose from, definitely worth paying extra for if it is not included in your room rate. We did eat in the bar on our first night though and the food was fairly average. The hotel is a short walk from Edinburgh centre, around 10-15 minutes leisurely walk, but we were aware of this and it wasn't a problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Lovely hotel in a great location (15 minute walk to the centre of Edinburgh), friendly staff, good quality breakfast pipping hot!, only complaint would be the lighting in the bedroom was very dim 4 lamps but not enough to be able to apply my make up! comfortable bed could do with a new duvet and pillows (both feather but had seen better days) I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights in between Christmas and New Year and would love to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Channings Hotel? Share your experiences!