“Ignore the poor reviews.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal British Hotel

You added Royal British Hotel to your Saves list
Royal British Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Princes St, Edinburgh EH2 2AN, Scotland (Princes Street and Gardens)   |
Ranked #128 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Wakefield
“Ignore the poor reviews.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went to Edinburgh for a long weekend on Friday 19th March. Having read some poor reviews we were a bit concerned, but balanced them with the good ones and decided to stick with it. We were not disappointed.
As you exit Waverley railway station on to Princes Street, the hotel is just across the road. The entrance, like all the entrances of the hotels on the north side of Princes Street, is between shop fronts. To reception and met with a smile, warm welcome and a nice relaxed attitude.
We booked a double room and got number 92 which was actually a large family room with the double and a single, table and 2 easy chairs plus the usual furniture. Some reviewers had complained of dirty rooms but we found no evidence of that at all; on the contrary it was almost spotless. The bed was just a bit too hard for my taste.
We agree the interior is a bit jaded and tired but far preferable to a modern concrete box with no soul.
The bar is very pleasant and you can take in the view from the castle along the Royal Mile overloking Princes Street while eating an evening meal, bar snack or just a drink. Excellent food at good reasonable prices - pork medallions in a white wine sauce with roast and boiled potatoes, plus vegetables just £8.95.
The tour buses are within 100 metres and if you buy your tickets for them from the kiosk, also get your castle entrance tickets (same price) as the queues up there are bad.
We sampled Rose Street's bars but not impressed. The staff obviously think tourists are a bit of a pain and in one, we were asked to move from one area to another so they could clean up for the night - it was just 9.45pm and the place was still filling up with customers. Wetherspoons owned Assembly Rooms on George Street had a good atmosphere and the building is amazing.
Just in case anyone thinks I am some totally enraptured tourist, I should say I was brought up in Edinburgh and left when I was 18. I have been back many times and it still has the magic. Don't let the few negative reviewers put you off: this is a tired hotel that is run very well, very clean and welcoming, efficient pleasant staff and very good reasonably priced food in an excellent location.
Having had some 40 holidays in the last 10 years we feel qualified to comment. One thing is certain, we will return and stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Inverness
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I stayed here for business and i wish our budget hadnt been tight for January.

Ok, so the hotel was easy to find when i got out at waverley station but entering the hotel - i started to get the feeling of what the rest of the hotel was like.

Tired, dated, scruffy and in need of some serious TLC. Check-in was easy - i was travelling alone but was put in a twin room - asked how much to get a double and she said it was no problem at no cost! Which was a bonus.

A wee wonder down some shabby corridoors i found my room. Small, noisy and not the cleanest either. Overlooked Princess Street which was ok at night but im glad i was up early as the traffic noise wasnt nice to hear. (Yes I understand that i am in the city centre).

Played with the idea of having breakfast on my own (a first ever) and made my way into what looked like an extension of my bedroom. Sat down, looked around - it was very quite. Noticed that the kind of "no words" music that is played in supermarkets was playing and thought... GET ME OUT OF HERE! So i decided against it.

Sorry, but i will not be staying here again. The thought will never cross my mind.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

We are regulars at the Edinburgh festival and have been for over ten years. We found this spot on our first trip and we rebook every year. It is typically very busy at this time but we thought we'd share it with you in case you are going at another time.
Firstly it's on Princes Street, with a brilliant view of the castle from the front rooms. The entrance to the building is not overwhelming but LOOK UP it is a stunning building above you.
It is also directly opposite the train station which is handy if you travel by train (which we always do).
The staff are friendly and some of them have been there since our first ever visit it's nice to be remembered.
They have a good restaurant and serve a mighty Full Scottish Breakfast (note not Full English Breakfast).
The rooms are bright and airy and the furnishings and fixtures are commensurate with the better end of the hotels in this price range.
We have been when the festival isn't on and although the town lacks the buzz of that event it's still worth a visit and if you do, we recommend this place as an ideal base.
They have a business centre and conference room and also have very reliable wifi.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dunbar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Royal British Hotel for the weekend. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff in reception. Our room was very clean and nice and warm. Lots of choices for breakfast and again lovely staff. The location of the hotel is perfect we will certainly be going back. Well done.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
zooler1982
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over Easter weekend 2009. As soon as I was walked into the hotel I was disappointed as it's very outdated and looked dirty - carpets not cleaned etc. As it was Good Friday I wasn't in a position to try and find somewhere else, if it hadn't have been a bank holiday, I definitely would have asked for a refund and tried to find somewhere else.

My room was small with thrown together old furniture. The curtains kept coming off the rails - I went down to reception every morning to complain about this and although the reception staff were polite (to my face anyway), the room attendants simply 'hooked' the curtains back up, so every time you tried to open or draw them they fell back off the rails!!

The remote control had no batteries in it – which were never replaced after complaining, and the bed was so uncomfortable that I didn't have a good nights sleep throughout my stay there!

The bathroom was old and date, again with the odd 1970’s table thrown in and you couldn't have a bath because the water wasn't clean!!

The landing on my floor was disgusting as old sofas were just thrown there.... for what purpose?! I've seen student houses with nicer and cleaner furniture! The decorating was old and everything just looked ‘unclean’.

To be honest I only slept there, I couldn't wait to get out in the morning and only came back last thing at night. With this hotel you're paying for the location and it's definitely worth paying a bit extra to get a nice hotel, as this one is not worth the money you’ll pay!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for work and would never go back! The first room I was allocated was extremely small and smelt of smoke (despite being a non smoking room), after asking to be moved rooms the next room was dated but adequate. The decor in the bathroom was very dated, the shower and shower head were covered in mold.

Room service is very expensive but luckily there are many resturants close by.

Worst part of my stay was waking in the middle of the night feeling very itchy and finding that the walls and bed were literally CRAWLING! On closer inspection there were fleas and beetles crawling up the walls and on the furniture.

I changed rooms at 1am into a much larger room but even still this was still not up to standard.

I would advise anyone considering this hotel - don't!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We were very excited when we got to our hotel as it's in a great location on Princes St. The reception were lovely and advised us that we'd been upgraded to a suite room which was on the top level. We were rapt with that. But...our room was in the loft type area at the very top of the hotel. From the moment I walked it I just didn't feel right and didn't let my parter out of site even for an instant. The room was very old and smelt like mildew. The bathroom wasn't very clean either. We booked on a last minute website so the rate was quite cheap but if I was to do it again I'd definitely pay extra to stay at a nicer hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal British Hotel? Share your experiences!