“interior design hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ballantrae Albany Hotel

You added Ballantrae Albany Hotel to your Saves list
Ballantrae Albany Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 - 47 Albany Street, Edinburgh EH1 3QY, Scotland (Broughton & Calton)   |
Special Offer
Free drink offer
Ranked #129 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
luxembourg
“interior design hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The pics on the website seduced me, I should have made the effort to look up the photos on tripadvisor. The room is ok and I really like the extravagant design but most of the furniture is partly broken, scratched, stained or dusty. It needs some tlc and a good clean overall and another serviceteam in general. The hotel's just a five minute walk away from Princes street. I'd book it again just based on its location.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed here just for one night after seeing Van Morrison at the Playhouse & got a reasonable deal at Laterooms. The position of the hotel is superb, on a quiet street in a very nice Georgian terrace pretty close to Waverly, the Omni & the Playhouse plus lots of good pubs & restaraunts.

The staff are excellent. Charming young lady at reception who shows you to your room & pleasant breakfast staff. We were in room 302 overlooking Alabany Street & the room was fine. The only noticeable thing was that the dusting wasn't done very well - only half way up the blinds & the sloping top of the wardrobe. I know it sounds a bit picky but the way the sun was shining through the huge & very clean windows it was hard to miss. The bed was vert comfortable & the bathroom perfectly adequate - shower only.

The breakfast was first class, the full Scottish monty with a very good continental buffet. Civilised breakfast times too - 8:30 until 10:30am I think on Sunday with an 11:00am checkout.

The hotel is happy for you to leave your bags at your own risk in the Reception area whilst you have a wander around the town for as long as you like.

Overall a very pleasant stay & we'd stay here again without hesitation. For a boutique hotel in this area at less than £100 I think it's very good vaue indeed.

Room Tip: I'd probably choose a room facing the quiet street.
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

The reviews of this hotel are quite mixed and I can understand why.
We stayed here for 2 nights last weekend (23rd & 24th March) on a visit to our son.
Located in Edinburgh new town, it is ideally situated away from the noise and bustle of Princes Street and The Royal Mile yet within easy walking distance of everything.
We had an executive double and I have to say the room was cavernous, as was the bathroom. True, some of the decor is not to my liking and parts of the hotel appear quite shabby - notably some of the corridors between the interlinking parts since the hotel consists of 2 houses that have been knocked into one. There are no lifts, but this doesn't bother us as much as it does some, we were on the 3rd floor and coped easily, and we are not youngsters.
The staff can only be described as perfect - we were warmly welcomed, easily checked in and shown to our room. All information regarding breakfast times etc was given on arrival and when we informed them we would be leaving before breakfast on Sunday, which starts at 08:30 we were told no problem and were able to book an early breakfast (no hot food) at 07:30 plus a wake up call for 06:30. Breakfast on the Saturday morning was an excellent full Scottish with the only minor issue being undercooked poached eggs - please give them an extra 2 minutes to ensure the egg white is properly cooked.
Would I stay here again - yes.
Overall I see this as work in progress and if they are prepared to invest some money in the 'shabby' decor then this will be an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Most complaints about this hotel relate to the rooms so my advice is pay a little extra for an execu...
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed in the Albany in a double room (room 411) in March 2012. My room was at the very top and back of the hotel (view not amazing!), which meant a very long and windy journey up several flights of stairs as there is no lift. However, the hotel receptionist kindly walked me to my door after I checked in and pointed out all the major 'route markers' which would help me find my way back later (although i wasnt very successful).

The room was stunning. Spotlessly clean, comfy double bed, big telly, walk in wardrobe, desk, massive bathroom, bath, massive shower, two sinks and a telly over the bath. Couldnt get the telly over the bath to work but I think that might be the luddite in me rather than the hotel.

Hotel staff were helpful, booking me taxis as requested. Didn't have time to try the breakfast though, but the location is spot on.

I got a great rate through booking dot com, and overall worth the £60 I paid. Frankly, it was worth more than that!

Only downsides were that my room was very warm and there was no cold water in the taps, plus the small hike to find the room....

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Booked a single room for night 13th March 2012. Location of the hotel is excellent just a short walk from Waverley station. Checked in at 6pm given room 401 at the top of the hotel. To get to the room you have to climb two flights of stairs (no Lift). The room was very small dark and very dirty. As I was running late for a meeting so I did not complain. I had asked reception to book me a cab for 6.30pm after 7pm it still had not arrived. I went outside and got one within 5 mins walk. Got back to the hotel at 1am note on reception " night manager in the bar down stairs". Went down the stairs to get my key 2 hours later I went to bed. Jim the night manager is a great guy he will chat all night.

Bed very small I am 6" 1' did not get any sleep and at 6am the noise from the street was terrible. Breakfast was good and for £50 BB you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Say no to rooms on the top floor 401, 402 etc.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed at the Albany hotel on a trip to Scotland and i must say what a find. Booked this through laterooms and pleased i had, Excellent room, Very high ceiling, Best breakfast ive ever had in any hotel hands down, the choice was amazing. Checked in a 2pm short walk from waverley station, had a great tour on open top bus round Edinburgh, Then walked to George street later on for the bars and restaurants. Would stay here again on trip to Edinburgh.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

just returned from overnight stay room fine breakfast lovely nice welcome from guy on reception showed us to our room offering to carry bags nice touch! we told him we were going to see a show and while checking out this morning asked if we enjoyed it we felt this was nice just wasnt making small talk he actually was listening. We would definately return again.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Ballantrae Albany Hotel? Share your experiences!