“Interesting but not worth the money.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Real Mary King's Close

Real Mary King's Close
2 Warriston's Close, Edinburgh EH1 1PG, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)
0845 070 6244
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Hidden beneath the Royal Mile lies Edinburgh’s deepest secret: a warren of hidden ‘closes’ where real people lived, worked and died. For centuries they have lain forgotten and abandoned…until now. Visit Edinburgh's most famous Close, which makes Edinburgh's Hidden History unmissable.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
5 attraction reviews
“Interesting but not worth the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The only WOW bit was right at the end when you saw the street way underground. It was the only fascinating bit and it was quite expensive for just that.

Visited December 2012

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
“A nice time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We took the first tour on a Sunday morning and since we were only four people taking it, it probably was a better experience than if we went with a large group. It is an interesting place, the tour guide was very good and although it costs a bit of money it is worth it.

Visited January 2013
Warwickshire, UK
“A bit of a let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Whenever we mentioned to anyone that we were going to Edinburgh for a short break almost everyone said visit the castle and Mary Kings close. I think because of the build up I felt a little let down after the visit. We went in the morning at around 10:30am and were told to book for the next tour which was at 1pm.
Walking around these underground chambers it was interesting to think of the conditions in which our ancestors used to live but as other reviewers have said most of the rooms are exactly the same, stone walls and reinforced ceilings/floors. I thought that guide, whilst I suppose was only doing their job, I found it a bit cheesy at times with their fake accents etc. For the price, from which I can remember was around £15 each, I felt it was slightly too expensive. I've since heard that Gilmerton Cove is a lot more interesting, I only wish I'd tried there instead as unfortunately Mary Kings Close for me fell a little flat.

Visited February 2013
Bristol
6 attraction reviews
“A Little cheesy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This could have been a great tour but there were aspects of the guide's story telling which were really cheesy to say the least. It had us on the verge of rolling our eyes. However, in some ways they did do a good job of bringing some of the history of the place back to life. To me, this is one for the kids :)

Visited January 2013
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Mary's Close - brill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were most impressed by this tour round Mary King's close but also parts of the adjacent closes. History was interestingly presented without too musch reliance of silly ghost stories. Fascinating - a must see.

Visited February 2013