“Really worth a visit.....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 477 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enter one of Scotland's most curious heritage sites. An archeological mystery that has baffled investigators for over 300 years. Gilmerton Cove is a series of chambers and passageways lying hidden beneath the streets on the South side of Edinburgh. Join us on a guided tour and help us unravel the mysteries of this strange mysterious labyrinth. Please note this attraction is by appointment only, please call to book a slot.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Melbourne, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Really worth a visit.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My partner had been on about going to this place for months, but as it was in a built up area of the town I thought it would not have been worth it, how wrong I was.

We booked in on the day for the tour and found it quite easily, althought you could easily drive past it 100 time and never notice it, if you were not looking for it.

The guide we had, sorry forgot her name, was wonderful. She was very friendly, happy to answer any questions and very VERY knowledgeable about the coves.

The coves themselves are not really what you might think by the word coves, they are not near the sea although you go have to look out for the "whale" when in the coves......

Without soiling the trip, the coves are a small series of caves that were built somewhere between 1,000 and 150 years ago, but no one knows for sure. The series of rooms, ventilation shafts, tables etc is really facinating and sends your imagination soring as you try to think about who built it, for what purpose and who might have visited.

There are apparently still lots of undiscovered rooms / tunnels attached to the already dug up ones but till they get more funding (or more visitors) they will stay that way so please, head there and give it a try. I would love to return one day to see what else they have unearthed!

All in all its a great few hours out to visit one of the mysteries of Edinburgh.....

Visited November 2012

• Greek first
Chilliwack, Canada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Good bit of fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We enjoyed our visit to the coves. My wife and I arrived a bit early and waited for another party to show up, so we chatted with gals (SORRY, I forgot your names!) that give the tours and they were both extremely nice. Once inside the coves, there are about 4-5 rooms and there wasnt a lot there, which I guess is the point as they want to keep you guessing as to what exactly went on down there. The guide gave us lots of ideas as to what it could be and lots of theories which was great. We took the bus from the bridge that separates the new town from the old, right over the Waverly train station. We asked the bus driver to let us know where to get off and luckily he was nice enough to do that otherwise we wouldnt have known. Im not sure I would call it a MUST do when in Edinburgh, but it was a good bit of fun. We traveled onto Rosyln chapel by cab after visiting the coves and made a full day of it!

Visited September 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Exellent Value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I found this place to be Excellent value for money for the whole family.The kids were fascinated with the seats and tables carved out of the rock.Little rooms and tunnels to go through.

Visited October 2012
Inverurie, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unique Site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Excellent tour round site of mystery. Well worth a visit even though off the beaten track. Value for money

Visited September 2012
Wermelskirchen, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A very interesting place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My son and I went to Gilmerton Cove during our 5-Day-Trip to Edinburgh. Take Bus line 29 and get off at Drum Street. Entrance is 7.50 GBP for an adult. Don`t forget to make an appointment (we did via e-mail, homepage and telephone also possible). The tour was guided by a young lady, who had the knowledge to answer all the questions we had about Gilmerton Cove. She explained very good, what is known or not known about the cove and she brought in very much fantasy in possible explanations of the "What was the Cove used for?"-question. In summary I would say, it was an absolut "must have done this" trip. The tour longs for about 45 minutes, after that you have the possibility to explore the Cove on your own and to make photos as much as you like.

Für deutsche Besucher:

Die Tour ist ausschließlich in Englisch. Es findet keine Übersetzung statt.

Visited October 2012