Just returned from a great trip to Scotland. I only book in advance because the risk of not finding a hotel warrants doing so. Thus, I took a chance on the Malmaison, based on guide book descriptions. The only available rooms were suites, priced at $350. Although
technically speaking, they are nice rooms, the hotel has a cramped and isolated feel to it. No views from any room, slightly far from town center, poor service, dark and unimpressive (cellar) bar and restaurant. I called the front 3 times before getting an answser. They told me that when they are helping customers, they don't ansswer the phone!
Maybe, if you get a good deal on the price, all of the above is worth it.
I moved to the Milleninium in downtown Edinburgh and loved it. Rooms face George Square and although not plush, they are spacious and bright and cheery, as is the service.
The best hotel by far is the Hotel du Vin, but it is 5 miles from the center of town. We got a great deal and it was a spectacular experience.
Moral-- shop around and see your room before deciding, if you have the time
- Also Known As:
- Edinburgh Malmaison Hotel
- Malmaison Edinburgh
- Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It's the mother of all Malmaison's. The former house of ill-repute now has a reputation that's second to none, and it's also just a short taxi ride away from Waverley Station. Malmaison Edinburgh bides at Leith (as they say up here), just a stone's throw from the Royal Yacht Britannia, but offering far more funky luxury. Yes, when you want exciting hotels in Edinburgh, this is the King, not the castle. Our Edinburgh hotel puts you close to all of Edinburgh's cobbled splendours, incredible shopping and famous galleries. Then it's back to Mal for Scots dining with a twist, a fine selection of single malts and mojitos in the bar and then back to the slinkiest and most spectacular rooms in the Scots capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Otel, Prestigia, TripOnline SA and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.