“Gorgeous! If you go to Edinburgh, stay here.” 5 of 5 stars

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Tower Place | Leith, Edinburgh EH6 7BZ, Scotland   |
Ranked #96 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Surrey, UK
“Gorgeous! If you go to Edinburgh, stay here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

The hotel is beautifully decorated, situated just a taxi ride away from the centre of Edinburgh's clubs and bars. The staff were so accomodating, friendly and added several little touches that made our stay even more special and memorable for our bride-to-be. We had no troubles getting to and from the city centre, there were regular buses and taxi's were around £6.

Breakfast was delicious, the bar had a great atmosphere and served fantastic cocktails and we truly had a weekend to remember.

I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Lovely hotel in Leith, an up and coming area of the city which is close enough to the centre to be viable for a visit. Nice old building, good location surrounded by docks, pubs and restaraunts. (Try the pub next to Fisher's on a Sunday afternoon for live jazz and a real fire.) Fantastic rooms with a massive, truly massive comfortable bed. Fantastic bistro food and good hearty breakfasts. Impeccable staff and service. Malmaison offers a treat, a little gem that punches well above it's price bracket. I felt a valued guest but not smothered in any way.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

We booked this hotel for our wedding night and had explained that we would be arriving late because of the wedding.

We had troulbe finding somewhere to park as the hotel does not have any parking. The receptionist was very rude and we were not shown to our room but left to find our own way. The lights in the room did not work and we had to wait before anyone came to fix them.

As we got into bed we discovered that the sheets were torn and covered in mould stains. The staff made little effort to put things right and were off hand and surly.

As we checked out next morning we made the hotel manager aware of the problem and he promised to phone us but never did. We contacted him and instead of apolagising he offered another night at the hotel, as if we would want to return. We had to contact the parent holiday to get redress.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
St. Andrews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

This hotel is Edinburgh's best kept secret! Just 5 minutes from the town centre this hotel is a real treat!
Service from check in to check out was faultless and we could not have asked for more!
The Brasserie has a great offer of locally sourced food, a fantastic winelist and swift service!
We wanted to go out into town, but did not feel the need for it and decided to stay in throughout our stay.
We are already planning another trip to Edinburgh and do not wish to stay anywhere else than in the Malmaison!
Great value for money and a fantastic product!
Amazing!

Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I'd booked a DBB rate on Laterooms for Valentine's night for my bf & I back in December. Had a bit of a drama before even checking in!!!
I'd been left two voicemails regarding making a booking for the restaurant. The hotel was pretty hard to get in contact. I had called the number which I'd received the messages from, which turned out to be the Birmingham hotel. I asked the lady on the phone for the Edinburgh number, which she kindly gave me. I called up the hotel and a foreign sounding lady answered. I explained to her about the messages and asked to be transferred to reservations or whoever may be dealing with the dinner bookings. She transferred me to a guest's room! At 9am, the poor lady was in her bed and I had woken her. I apologised and hung up. A few days later I went on the website and on the contact us page sent a message basically explaining that I was struggling to get hold of anyone at the hotel and could they please contact me. I think I sent 3 messages, to no avail. I phoned up the hotel AGAIN and asked to be put through to the restaurant. The man was very polite and booked me in for 7pm. The week before checking in, I thought I'd query about upgrading my room. I emailed the hotel and very clearly stated my name to then be emailed back Good afternoon Lisa ( my name isn't Lisa!!!) to which I simply replied that wasn't my name and thankyou for emailing me back. No reply or apology. I work in a hotel myself and understand what it means to use someone's name correctly, it's basic manners! I understand when you are busy, names tend to slip your mind, but not when it's written in front of you. This carry on left me a bit anxious about my stay.

The hotel itself is lovely! Beautiful old building, right at the water. Nice old fashioned cobbled streets and surrounds. The girl on the desk was very polite and efficient, telling us all the info we needed and no more. We were running late so the quick check in was greatly appreciated. The room was lovely, a bit bigger than expected. Massive comfy bed with what appeared to be .. CLAW MARKS!! On the head board. Nice!!!

Dinner was okay, I feel everything was overpriced and there were too many staff members faffing about, didn't really create a very relaxed atmosphere - although that was probably myself feeling all harassed because we were running late! My main course was pan roasted chicken, which to my horror had a bright red vein in it. I asked the waiter if this was supposed to be like this and he checked with the chef. The chef cut the vein out and said it was fine to eat. But seeing the vein totally put me off my meal.

Overall I wasn't really impressed with the service prior to my stay, it's enough to lose business as I nearly cancelled my room. Definetly wouldn't stay again, which is a shame because it's such a lovely hotel and area.

My opinion obviously will differ from anyone else, but I just thought I'd share it.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

This was a surprise 50th Birthday treat. The hotel was fine but very different when compared to Glasgow which we stayed in last year.
We were offered a choice of rooms on arrival which was nice and opted for the four poster bed !!! Lovely room but it certainly needed more lights when it got dark. Couldn't see a thing !!! Maybe that is to do with the age !!! We ate out at Fishers next door - fantastic meal - however when we returned to the hoel at 10.50pm the coffee machine in the bar had been switched off which was a bit disappointing. Overall quite pleased with the hotel. Not sure what it cost as I wasn't paying !!!!

Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We've stayed in two other hotels in the Malmaison chain and have been very pleased but this one was very disappointing.

At check-in we were told the lift was out of order but no help was offered with our luggage up the stairs. The public areas are getting a bit tired and shabby.

Our room was uninspiring, with need of an update. There was insufficient usable hanging space in the wardrobe, the oldest telly I've seen for a while, no wi-fi and the bathroom was a bit tatty with brown water.

We had to get out of bed to make it properly on the first night. The next day we returned from Edinburgh to find our room still not cleaned at 4.45pm, just when we really wanted a lie down we had to sit in the bar for an hour. Though there are worse places to be!

The big Mal breakfast was lovely, but the restaurant staff tried to close breakfast 30 miutes early.

Leith has a good selection of drinking and eating establishments.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh? Share your experiences!