“Comfy, stylish - worth every penny” 4 of 5 stars

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Tower Place | Leith, Edinburgh EH6 7BZ, Scotland   |
Ranked #94 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Comfy, stylish - worth every penny”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

The Malmaison is really a lovely hotel, the staff were very accommodating and gave us lots of info about Edinburgh and offered to do things like holding on to our bags on check out and ordering us a cab home from the restaurant - things we hadn't even thought about until they suggested it.

It's not right in the centre and we took a cab in the evening and a bus in the daytime - about 10/15mins to the Christmas market in the centre of town.

A stone's throw from the hotel is a lovely little fish restaurant called the Ship on the Shore. A-ma-zing. Fantastic food, fabulous atmosphere, medium-to-pricey though. We had a meal for two (starter, main, no desert, one bottle of wine) and it was about 80 quid.

Also our room in the Malmaison was a joke - I don't know if we got upgraded or something, but with two full size doubles in there we could have slept an army. Cosy.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

Having stayed at the Malmaison in Leeds a couple of years ago and dined at the Mal in Edinburgh about 5 years ago, I was looking forward to my stay here. However I was slightly disappointed in that Malmaison no longer seems to be anything special. My partner described it as the "Easyjet" of hotels; this was due to the high level of Mal branding throughout the hotel which grated a little and wasn't that aesthetically pleasing.

Another "Easyjet" feature was the hotel deducting a "guesstimate" of what I would spend during my stay from my card and then refunding me the difference the next day, something I haven't seen before.

Overall, the hotel is looking a bit tired and could do with a lick of paint and a general overhaul. The room was nice and clean, with excellent bathroom toiletries and a well stocked minibar. The staff are quite friendly and very professional.

We had a D B&B deal so we ate in the brasserie. Food was acceptable but nothing to write home about. Staff very friendly and efficient. Not sure if I would stay at the Malmaison again if I was looking for something "special"; would probably go to one of the smaller boutiques in the city centre such as Ricks or Tiger Lily's.

• Liked — Views over the river Leith, modernish feel
  • Disliked — Too much of a chain hotel to be considered a "boutique" anymore, needed a lick of paint
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

Having stayed in the Malmaison in Liverpool, I expected a lot from this hotel and it did not disappoint!!! It was the usual high quality cleanliness and service that I had received before. The food was excellent as always and I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

1st time at this Hotel, first impressions were ok, but after a while problems started, 1st with the shower, couldnt get any hot water, after wainting for a while water was boiling hot, and couldnt level the water temperature at all, aslo lots of cracks and stained walls, was then moved then to "better room", 1st impressions were ok but then once again this didnt seemed righ, everytime we had to shower, we needed 2 towels on the floor to keep the water that kept licking off the bath, and water was slighlty discolored, left the room early the next day, left the card on the door to the room to be cleaned, came back at around 4.30pm and the room wasnt even touched, housekeeping didn't vacum, didnt dust, very poor service, overall a quite disappointed stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DERBY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed here for our honeymoon last week

We were upgraded free of charge to a suite which was brilliant, and all the staff were excellent.

The menu although limited was faultless and the service was fine.

The room service was excellent each day. Even though we left our rooms sometime after 2pm on some day's, we always returned to fresh sheets and towels and a replenished toiletries as well as a cleaner room.

The decor was loverly and modern and we heard no noise from either guests or elevators or heating elements.

We were not troubled at any point by staff wishing to leave our rooms as all needed was required was a "i want to be alone" sign outside. And they did exactly that. They leave your fresh towels and toiletries in a gift bag outside your room.

The price was high end but this was our honeymoon and we were aware of this, but I believe that we got what we paid for.

The breakfasts were very filling and I thought the dinners were value for money.

I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Liked — Location, service, staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
INVERNESS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

I have to say dissapointing, all style over substance and I'm not overly convinced about the style. Much better hotels in Edinburgh for less money. It's almost like they are trying too hard, although that said the majority of the staff very friendly, relaxed and efficient.
The room was OK, like an upmarket Premier Lodge (or equivalent) except with extra cushions arranged bizzarrely on the bed and toiletries than you are encouraged to take home - you might as well because you've paid about £75 for some shower gel. The room was cold, dusty and had rubbish behind the curtains. No bath just a rather tired shower. Pillows that disappeared after lying on and the most incredible creaking floorboards in the corridor keeping us awake most of the night. Food was on the whole good, however the chef managed to turn 'mash' into baby food, tends to be the fashion I know, but c'mon.

Can't really recommend the hotel, we may have got unlucky.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — value for money
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

I thought I got a great deal through laterooms which included dinner, bed and breakfast and my husband and I were really looking forward to our overnight stay. We arrived by train from Manchester at around 7:15pm so were looking forward to tucking into our 3 course dinner soon after arrival. We made a reservation for 8:30pm and when we got to the restaurant dead on 8:30pm the unfriendly waitress who greeted us gave us the impression that they weren't ready for us and pressured us into having a drink in the bar first. There were no other guests in the bar but the service was slow and it took about 25 minutes to prepare our cocktails! - by that time, we were starving, travel weary and grumpy - not a good start to the romantic evening I had hoped for. Our 3 course dinner turned out to be set menu - this would have been fine but the the main course I chose was one of the worst meals I have ever had!! The lamb tasted boiled and had a metallic taste to it which suggests that it wasn't of the best cut. My husband doesn't eat cheese so had to ignore the set menu altogether and select something from the main menu which was very expensive. Once again this wouldn't have been a problem had the food been of a high quality and good value for money but it wasn't. Overall, we could have had a much better meal at a top restaurant somewhere else. Our room was satisfactory except for the extremely noisy extractor fan in the bathroom which sounded like a petrol lawnmower! I've stayed at the Mal Edinburgh 3 times now and each time is goes down more in my estimation - I think I'll give it a miss the next time I visit Edinburgh.

Stayed February 2008

Been to Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh? Share your experiences!