We went for afternoon tea recently and mostly had a lovely experience with a really superb selection of sandwiches, scones and sweets. The rose bud tea I had was delicious and I enjoyed every minute of the food and drink.
Where Prestonfield slightly fell down for us was that we were in the Yellow Room right beside the front door. If it is a sign of how valued you are as a visitor to a house by how far you are allowed in to it, the Yellow Room pretty much seems to be the waiting area and we didn't really feel that welcome. The seats are low and the leather ones not that comfy, and it took a while to warm through from outside cold. We definitely warmed up with the toasty fire going (about 1/2 hour later) but as a first experience in Prestonfield, I wasn't immediately taken with it. I did pop to the ladies to see if I could see anything else of what looks like an amazing building and I think that it could be a wonderful overall experience had you been shown a bit more into the heart of the home.
Ok, I think I sound really picky but I suppose the first impression really does count and mine was only tepid. Having said this, everything really did warm from then on and I would go back to try again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland