“Fabulous tea & service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous tea & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Afternoon tea was lovely, just the right amount of savouries & cakes with, continuously topped-up tea pots served in a fabulous room by very friendly & helpful staff. Afterwards we were taken upstairs to have a cocktail by a roaring fire in another fabulous room and having had a laugh with some of the staff, free cocktails were offered - sadly had to turn down as driving - but it ended the visit on a welcoming note. I always enjoy my visits to this glamorous by friendly Edinburgh hotel in the country!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is an absolutely stunning hotel, but by far the best part is the service that they offer. From the moment we stepped through the door the staff were polite, courteous and attentive. I stayed for only one night but will endeveour to return as often as I can. Even when I returned home and realised I had left a pair of shoes behind the hotel were kind enough to post them back to me at no charge.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The 2 rooms I saw were equally beautiful, but room number 5 did have a nicer view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have just had a great relaxing time at the Prestonfield.The room was very luxurious and clean.As for the staff and I mean all the staff they could not do enough for us and nothing was too much trouble. If I had to make a nagative comment some of the food was not quite as good as we expected. But having said that we had a fab time, and would stay here again.Hopefully soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
East Linton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We visited Edinburgh's' oasis of opulence, as a party of 12 for lunch. Following an interesting tour of the public rooms, efficiently conducted by the charming kilted Gareth, we sat down to a lunch which did not disappoint in any way. The stars of the show were Pheasant Terrine starter and Ox & Veal main course, however none of of the dishes were a disappointment. The waiting staff were attentive without being intrusive. Already planning our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The decor in Prestonfield Hotel is totally over the top, but totally wonderful. Each room or suite is named, and we stayed in the Benjamin Franklyn suite. It was truly wonderful. My grandson, who visited with us, wanted to stay there forever. However, dinner and breakfast were included in our package, and both were very disappointing. Dinner was a very limited choice, although the menu is written in such a way that it sounds positively exotic, and the food was very, very average. We had high hopes for breakfast when we were seated at a window table, and could see fields, Highland cattle, and peacocks. But, while the fresh fruits were wonderful, the cooked breakfast was disappointing. My poached eggs were possibly the worst I have ever had. My husband had the full breakfast and he thought iy was, okay. But, having said all that, the Prestonfield experience, lets say afternoon tea, which we have also had, is wonderful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We usually visit prestonfield in January for a post christmas treat at rhubarb restuarant this year however we stayed overnight for the first time and it was a delight. From the moment we arrived we were treated exceptionally and service was impeccable . The staff really are first class. We were given an upgrade into one of the suites - wonderful surprise and very very comfortable relaxing and enjoyable. Meal at Rhubarb was as usual first class can't give say too many good things about it. Already looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EDINBURGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay in this hotel for one night several months ago, and also to have dinner in Rhubarb Restaurant. Well I have to say the whole place exceeded my expectations. When you arrive at Prestonfield you go up the well kept drive to the main house where you are greeted by very courteous concierge. When you enter the hotel you are immediately drawn to the many fine furnishings in and around the rooms and passageways, it really is rather nice - but still very homely.

You would be forgiven for thinking you were actually in a private house, rather than a five star hotel. We were lucky to have seen several of the bedrooms and they all looked very nice - but each was different and luxuriously furnished, so unlike modern day hotels where they all look the same.

It is a very peaceful place and we went for a little walk around the grounds before dinner to bulid up the appetite.

The restaurant did not dissapoint, it has a good atmpsphere, filled with real candles, shining glass and the finest of crockery. Staff are attentive and unobtrusive - as it should be, just there if and when you want them.

The menu is well set out, and with so many choices it can be difficult to decide, but we did and were well pleased with the food that was prepared by us. The wine sommelier is knowledgable, and very helpful in recommending wines to go with the food.

We took coffee in one of the fine rooms upstairs, the leather room , and I have to say it was very atmospheric indeed, again, low lighting, fine antiques and paintings and beautiful furniture - stunning rooms that you should not miss in the evening when they come into their own.

We slept very well and then came down for breakfast in the morning. This I have to say was a real treat. It was evident that the hotel kitchen uses the best Scottish ingredients avaliable as everything had superb taste. I have never eaten such a nice breakfast as the one I devoured at Prestonfield - full marks to the kitchen brigade.

Although my stay was only one night it was one of the most memorable stays I have had, and I will be back soon for sure.

Thank you to all the staff, from the concierge at the door, to the reception team, and the first class restaurant manager and his staff for making our day so memorable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Prestonfield? Share your experiences!