“Great location and hotel but becoming a bit tired and worn” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 High St. | The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1TH, Scotland (Cowgate)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #42 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Scottish Borders
“Great location and hotel but becoming a bit tired and worn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I have an annual christmas shopping pilgrimage to Edinburgh and usually stay at the Raddison Blu. This year we picked a suite which was located on the 4th Floor. On check in we were met with a friendly welcome.On entering our room we noticed that whilst clean it looked a bit shabby ( the carpets stained in places) and generally looked a bit rundown. In the adjoining livingroom area the room temperature control was defective ( freezing). Breakfast was great and well managed, however we visited the Hotel Bar during the evening and to say the service was shambolic was an understatement. The bar wasn't busy, there were four staff on duty but it seemed to be a "luck of the draw" whether you were served or not. At £254 per night I don't really think the cost is refelected in the service provided. We've had a long association with the Edinburgh Raddison but i think it's now time to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor with views onto the high street or Salisbury crag
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RD_Edinburgh, Operations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
I think it was essential that you brought these important concerns to my attention. The loyalty you have shown our hotel, deserves a significantly higher quality of hotel experience. I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss your recent stay with us in much greater detail. Please would you contact me again directly using Hina.Simpson@RadissonBlu.com

2,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here first weekend in december and would like to share how good my stay was.
I took my girlfriend to propose and the hotel provided brilliant service for our stay.
When i arrived at the hotel they had covered the bed in rose petals in the shape of a heart and upgraded my room to business class. The room was lovely and i have stayed at many nice hotels.
The location is excellent on the royal mile everything well within walkin distance.
Breakfast is lovely with so much selection.
So overall i would defintly recommend a stay here.
Excellent customer service smiling very happy to help staff.

• Stayed December 2012
It sounds like you had a very special weekend here and we were delighted to be part of it. Edinburgh is the perfect romantic destination. The city has been developed very carefully, ensuring all of the magnificent architecture and views remain truly breathtaking.

It was a total pleasure hosting you both and it is very encouraging to be recommended so highly in all aspects of your stay. This is the level of service anyone can expect and I am sure you will hold very fond memories of your time here.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had been really looking forward to my afternoon tea at the Radisson as it was a treat from my friend. As part of the deal there were two glasses of prosecco included. However when the tray of a mixture of rolls, mini sandwiches and cakes arrived you could tell it had been stored in a fridge for some time.

I decided to go first for roll which was so hard that i was literally trying to tear it apart. the sandwiches were tasteless and again quite cold. cake selection disappointing as there were loads of the same type on the stand.

all in all a very very disappointing tea and defo won't be returning for tea

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am incredibly surprised and disappointed by your comments about your afternoon tea experience with us here as Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh. I would appreciate the opportunity to follow this up with you properly. We take negative feedback like yours very seriously, and I am keen to speak to you about the issues you experienced.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on Hina.Simpson@RadissonBlu.com.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed in one of the Turret suites and it was an absolute delight to be there.

This has to be the biggest room I have ever stayed in with a huge lounge area that then extends in to the turret in the corner of the building. The building is very easy to locate on one of the cross roads along the Royal Mile and on arrival was made to feel very welcome and looked after.

Checked in early, the room was ready and there was an offer to bring bags up. Great views of the Royal Mile from the room. Checked out the pool in the basement which, whilst small, was very good and relaxing.

Had a couple of drinks in the bar along with some snacks which were fine, although later in the evening did return for a cocktail, which was possibly the worst drink that I have ever had the misfortune to pay for, as in very poorly made, as opposed to I simply didn't like it.

The breakfast room was busy the following morning, but tables were quickly cleared and was soon helping myself to a good and extensive selection of hot and cold items.

A great central location, good hotel and very much recommended.

Room Tip: Be aware for Royal Mile facing windows, there is sadly a very busy taxi rank right outside the hotel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
It is great to be reading another perfect review of our hotel, your time spent in one of our Turret Suites seems to have been truly magical. Edinburgh is blessed with a rich history and has a very unique character – you will always receive a warm welcome when you stay with us.

I am really sorry to hear that your cocktail was not well executed (guests can choose from 15 house cocktails and we can create whatever you fancy). Our cocktails are a really important aspect of the Itchycoo Bar & Kitchen and our room service – I will make sure our normal standards are quickly re-established.

As you have witnessed firsthand, we are a very reliable four star Edinburgh destination. Haste ye back!

Worthing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Me and a friend chose to stay here because of the strengths of the reviews and its location.

Having to wait past 2 o'clock (check-in), after arriving hours earlier, I can't say I was in the best of moods. The lobby's nice and simple, and there's a large seating area to one side, which was something.

The room was fairly basic fare, with a small wardrobe and bizarrely, bed side tables that had no drawers or cupboard space at all. It was all rather bare really, with a small window at one end which let very little light in. I'm actually surprised by other reviewers' good nights sleep. I haven't slept so badly in a long time; the mattress was hard, and the sheets had a nasty rough texture.

There's no doubt that the hotel is in a great location; surrounded by attractions, there's little further than a 15 minute walk. I just feel that really, that's the only thing the place really has going for it. In terms of value for money, this hotel just didn't cut it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Any feedback provided to us can only make our four star operation even better. We really appreciated your patience on arrival – we meticulously prepare all of our bedrooms so that they are perfect for every arrival. Quite often, many of our rooms are ready well ahead of 2pm check-in.

It is very disappointing to hear that your room did not have the wow factor and you had a restless night. We are excitedly planning the refurbishment of all our guest rooms and hope you will come and stay with us in this magnificent city again.

Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was the third time I have stayed at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Edinburgh.I feel let down at this visit as we booked well in advance and and booked several rooms. On arrival the type of rooms we had booked were not the ones we were given and the hotel had no flexibility as they were fully booked. We were promised two of the double rooms {which were meant to be twins} would be sorted into twins but alas the two nights we were there nothing changed.We ate in the Bar/Restaurant area,having a selection of meals as we were a large party. The food was not great and poor valve for money. The best value was the fish and chips.We ate at a few places nearby and the food was far superior.The breakfast was better valve with lots of choice and lots of space.The rooms were average,the one we had was at the front corner and it was very noisy with traffic noise and people shouting about at night and the early hours.The Hotel itself is in a very good position on the Royal Mile and near several attractions and the Castle.We never used the gym or pool.

Room Tip: Keep away from the front and road side of the Hotel as noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I really appreciate you contacting us regarding your last visit to our hotel. As always, our location is a huge advantage for exploring this famous European city and the amazing choice at breakfast has again added to your overall experience.

We seem to have really let you down though in other aspects of your stay. I would really like the opportunity to discuss these areas with you in further detail. It would be great if you were able to contact me directly using Hina.Simpson@RadissonBlu.com.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Really enjoyed this hotel, perfect location for sightseeing and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Rooms a decent size and very clean, despite the central old toen location, we heard little noise from the street. We had breakfast too, which was a tasty buffet or the option to order something.
Really enjoyed the hotel bar (itchycoo) and the bar staff really made the evening nightcaps entertaining. Would go back again!
Also LOVED that the male staff wore kilts at reception.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
This was a fabulous review and we were so close to receiving full marks. Our team are always immaculately presented, but kilts have been a tremendous addition to the Radisson uniform.
It is always lovely to receive specific feedback for our Itchycoo Bar and Kitchen. During the current winter chill, an evening nightcap is becoming more of a priority and guests can always rely on receiving tremendous service in this venue.

I am thrilled to hear you were so satisfied with your room and the Super Breakfast Buffet. I hope you had a brilliant time exploring Edinburgh from our city centre property and that you are already planning that return visit.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh? Share your experiences!