“Great location and a nice, modern hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 High St. | The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1TH, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #50 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Great location and a nice, modern hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The hotel is located very conveniently to the majority of tourist attractions which makes it ideal for a weekend break. The hotel itself was modern and clean and the staff at reception very friendly and helpful. The rooms aren't large but they are well set out and modern.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
RD_Edinburgh, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for the wonderful 5 star review of your recent stay with us. I am sure other potential visitors will find your comments helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you to stay with us again on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Malcolm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This was my second stay at the Radisson and overall I was very happy with the experience although the hotel does need a refurb in certain areas!

Firstly, the location is fantastic, ideal for the shopping, restaurants and the castle. The reception is welcoming and Daniel was helpful in letting us select a room on the 4th floor to avoid the street level noise. Bed was very comfortable and the room spacious and clean.

In the evening we had a drink in the bar which offers a good selection of cocktails and wines before heading into town.

Breakfast was good not amazing but just about worth the £11 each... again service was great here.

The disappointing points are defiantly the leisure club with the changing rooms in desperate need of a refit and the pool is not suitable for swimming, too small! Yes, carpets do need replacing as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
RD_Edinburgh, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, I was really pleased to read your comments regarding our location and both the bar and breakfast experience. I will of course ensure that Daniel is recognised for going the extra mile to make your stay with us memorable.

I value your feedback regarding the condition of the property and I'm sure you will have read in my previous responses that we are undertaking a programme of improvement through until 2013 to address this.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Hotel is located along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh - very handy for all of the local attractions - Edinburgh Castle, Palace etc. The hotel looks great from the outside and reception area is good however once we got in to the lift the hotel started to have a very different feel. Carpets around the hotel are stained and shabby and could do with a refurb. Bathroom was dirty on arrival - very disappointing. We were in 2 rooms during out stay - the first was a "business room" overlooking the Royal Mile - very average. Not a good room if you are a light sleeper - we were on second floor and noise from street woke us up during the night. Second room was a suite on 5th floor - much nicer room but neither of the rooms had good light. Beds comfortable, bathrooms very average. Breakfast buffet had good selection but restaurant looked a bit tired. Staff did not seem to know what concierge status at Club Carlson meant - had to educate staff that this meant an upgrade where available and complimentary breakfast - both which were given eventually but these sort of things should happen automatically. If you're after an average hotel in a good spot - this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid noise from street.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that you found our location convenient but of course disappointed that the rest of your stay with us did not match your expectations.

You will have read my previous responses regarding street noise and the efforts we are taking to manage this issue, however we are somewhat dependent on intervention from the Police and the local Council also.

Your feedback on the condition of the rooms and the public spaces is appreciated and you should be aware that we are addressing this with a planned refurbishment in 2013.

I was disappointed that you had to educate out team about the concierge level, we will look into this immediately. I can assure you that whenever availability permits we try and provide our concierge members with their privileges, but we cannot always guarantee that these will be automatically received as our Hotel runs with a very high occupancy year round. I do hope you decide to stay with us again and I Know that we will be able to impress you.

Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks in January. Overall, I was very happy: the rooms were spacious, the staff was friendly and professional, and the location really couldn't be beaten. My only complaint deals with the renovations to the pool and, more importantly, to the kitchen. As a result of these projects, the kitchen only served cold foods (which wasn't normally what I wanted after a cold Scottish day), and the pool was entirely closed. It would have been nice to be made aware of these efforts before I made my booking. I would absolutely stay here again, though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, I was very pleased to read your comments regarding the rooms, the helpfulness of the staff and the location. Of course I was disappointed to read about your dissatisfaction with the ongoing refurbishment activity and can only apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We are considering what we can realistically offer in terms of hot food items from an offsite kitchen. Our guest safety is paramount and we want to ensure that food temperature is maintained in the process of transporting the food across sites to guest bedrooms. However a range of hot food is available at Itchycoo Bar for our guest’s to enjoy.

The pool was closed due to an unexpected pump failure which resulted in a prolonged closure, while we wait for a part to be delivered, again I apologise that this has spoiled your stay.

Thank you for indicating that you would stay with us again in the future, I am sure you will be able to enjoy the benefits of the Kitchen refurbishment on your next stay with us.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have now stayed twice at this hotel, I was very impressed by my first visit but held off a review until I had my second. To say the least I was comparatively impressed, starting with the staff they had a genuine air of attentiveness for your wellbeing from check in to the bar to the breakfast staff. My first room was on the second floor facing the Royal Mile, a bit noisy but after all Edinburgh is a vibrant city so to me it is just a small price to pay for a centrally located hotel. The room was excellent, spacious and well equipped, food and beverages were well priced again considering the location and the overall room price was competitive. Second stay I was on the fifth floor again facing the Royal Mile, noise was not an issue and although the room was very comfortable and clean it showed its age in small ways. However that said I did see a large number of workers that I suspect were working on the building but never noticed any noise or disruption to the workings of the hotel. I aim to return to the hotel in the near future and I have no hesitation in staying there again for business or pleasure. I will reiterate the staff again as they make a stay, some much larger hotel brands fail in this area and at this particular hotel they have excelled.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper aim for 4th/5th floor due to the city noise. If a tourist have a wander a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting this review of your recent stays with us. I was extremely pleased to read that the staff made your stays memorable with their helpful and friendly approach, this is a very important factor for us in ensuring high guest satisfaction.

I also appreciated your comments in general about your stay and I am sure that other potential visitors will find these useful when considering which hotel to choose in Edinburgh.

I look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay with us.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I went to Edinburgh last september and I stayed 4 nights at the Radisson Blu hotel.

The hotel is situated on the Royal Mile which is one of the most beautiful streets in Edinburgh. 5 min walk from the castle.
Lots of pubs and restaurants in the same street.

Everything was very clean and we got a better room than expected.
The bathroom was clean and functional. Our room had a nice view over the mountain behind.
The breakfast was pretty generous with a lot of different things (from sausages to corn flakes).
The staff was very helpful and smily.
We went every evening to the spa, it was very pleasant. There are saunas, showers and a small swimming pool (not to swim for hours but great to relax after walking in the city). You can also book a massage (different prices).
Tea and coffee for free

I would definitely recommend this hotel because I didn't see a better one in the city.

Room Tip: rooms on the backside are more quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
MANCHESTER/DUBLIN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Having stayed at the Radisson Blu in Cardiff for a run we had no hesitation in booking this hotel for the Great Winter Run.

We requested a triple room and we had a camp bed in the room when we arrived; the room was fairly cramped for three adults. The hotel had provided additional towels but had forgotten to provide an additional cup or glass which we had to phone down and request along with extra coffee and milk sachets.

Our room was on the sixth floor but we could clearly hear the music from the bar across the road until quite late at night. The hotel had two sets of windows but something else really needs to be done about this – maybe thicker windows in the bar!!

We requested breakfast to our room at the reduced rate of £11 for the Sunday morning; my friend is a vegetarian but unlike Cardiff this hotel did not offer vegetarian sausages; she made do with boiled eggs – to be fair she could have had a good choice of eggs; potato cake; mushrooms and so on but I think the hotels should be uniform across the board. The addition of Haggis was a nice touch and the breakfast was really nice for us meat eaters – although for two people we got three slices of toast which was odd.

We all used the pool and spa and really enjoyed both; definitely a massive plus after a run. The lady who was at the desk was nice and pleasant too.

When we came to check out our bill was calculated incorrectly twice; the lady who dealt with us was apologetic but if we weren’t paying attention we would have paid alot more than we were supposed to.

The staff we dealt with were really nice and friendly and whilst this is a busy hotel we were always greeted with big smiles and patience. Well done.

While I would stay here again if I had to I would be inclined to shop around other hotels in the area first as it’s the little things that matter and sadly this hotel just missed the mark.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, I was of course disappointed to read that we had not met your expectations overall.

Your feedback regarding the in room breakfast was particularly useful in respect of vegetarian options and I will be exploring this further to identify how we may improve this in the future.

You may have read my other responses regarding the street noise and hopefully you will see that we are committed to doing everything we can to minimise the impact of this for our guests.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the pool and spa and that in general you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I am sorry that there were miscalculations with your bill but I am glad that you gave us the opportunity to resolve it for you at checkout.

I appreciate that you would be prepared to stay with us again and I do hope we have another chance to impress you.

Malcolm

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh? Share your experiences!