“You can't find a better location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 High St. | The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1TH, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #50 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kirkland, Washington
“You can't find a better location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel is right on the royal mile. Step out the door and there is shopping, nightlife, restaurants, the castle, EVERYTHING right there. The lobby was nice and clean and has a nice looking bar (although we didn't drink there). Our room was a really weird shape, but was large and exceeded my expectations for the price. The bed was a little hard though, not your typical big fluffy hotel bed that I love. I would definitely stay here again and refer my friends here as well. Oh and talk to the concierge about tickets into the attractions. They had discounted tickets for many of the things (like the Castle) we did and we were able to save some money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
RD_Edinburgh, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us. I was particularly pleased to read that our Concierge team demonstrated a "Yes I Can" attitude when helping you with tickets for attractions in the city.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Edinburgh

Malcolm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Korean first
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

First time at the Radisson Blu after staying in many (more expensive) hotels in Edinburgh. Enjoyed the stay very much. Great location with reasonably priced parking. Staff were very helpful and courteous. Room was comfortable with good facilities.
Great value and will be returning.

Dear Guest

Many thanks for leaving a review after your recent stay with us, I am really pleased that we managed to exceed your expectations on your first stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Edinburgh.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I took my partner here for a birthday weekend away in Edinburgh. Upon arrival, we were so pleased with the hotel. The location is fantastic in the Old part of the town. We got the bus from the airport to Waverly train station (£6 return) and then walked to the hotel. Its about 5 mins walk to the hotel and although this is uphill, if you are concerned about hills, edinburgh probably isnt the city for you! The hotel was very welcoming and although we were there at 11:30am, we were able to check in immediately. We had a 5th floor room which was very spacious and the bed enormous.

I had read previous reviews about the rooms being dark - this is the case, but thats because its an old building with "castle type" windows! It really didn't bother us, if anything, I think the character added to the hotel's charm.

We had evening drinks in the hotel bar which was a lovely modern bar with a great selection. We never ate at the hotel as the breakfast was quite expensive. There was so much choice of other places to eat in Edinburgh that we chose to eat in cafe's for breakfast instead.

I would recommend going at this time of year as the decorations and German Christmas Market was fantastic. The whole city was within walking distance and when I visit Edinburgh again, I would choose this hotel.

As it was my partner's birthday, the hotel also gave us a complimentary bottle of wine and some fruit and fudge which was delivered to our room during the day. A lovely suprise upon return in the evening.

This was the best hotel that we saw in a similar area, and made our weekend excellent. Do not hesitate in booking this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a high floor which meant we had a nice view of the city.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful 5 star review of your recent stay with us. I am really pleased that you and your partner had an enjoyable weekend with us in Edinburgh.

Thank you for pointing out how lucky we are with our location and also how vibrant and exciting the city is at this time of year.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Located slap bang on the Roytal Mile, just across from Waverley Bridge, the hotel is ideally situated for seeing all of the major attractions this wonderful city has to offer. . I have stayed in Business Class rooms and whilst they are clean, well equipped( complete wtih Nesspresson Coffee machine, lovely!!), spacious and quiet, they are a little on the dark side as he windows are relatively small (I believe this is as a result of the building being designed to be in keeping with its surroundings, which it does very well incidentally), and the food is not as exciting as some of the lovely restaurants nearby. Having said that every time I've eaten there the food has been well prepared and professionally presented although the restaurant is surprisingly small for a hotel of this size. I do confess to being a little disappointed with the breakfasts though, to the point of skipping them altogether in favour of a coffee shop down the road. Anyway it can't be all bad as I'll be staying there again

Room Tip: even the rooms on the front are quiet as there is little traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us, I am really pleased that you highlighted the great location and the in room facilities. I wish we could take the credit for designing the hotel in keeping with the location, however construction was first started in the 16th century which is why the windows in some rooms are smaller than you may expect.

Thank you too for highlighting the dining experience at the hotel and also the many restaurants nearby. I was of course disappointed to read that you do not enjoy the breakfast experience with us as this is commonly a very positive experience for most guests.

I do hope that we will have the chance to change your mind about this when you next stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Edinburgh.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here overnight this past weekend. Not impressed. Have stayed in Edinburgh in better hotels for a lot less money! Room was ok. Sticky carpet and loads of stains! Duvet on the bed did not fit! Super king size bed, King size duvet! Lumpy, cheap foam pillows. Lift floor sticky. Corridors run down with dirty walls and stained carpets. Breakfast was ok. Went for breakfast at 10am and obviously they couldn't cope with the volume. Buffet style cookd breakfast had everything running low or none left. Only redeeming feature was the very helpful reception staff. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us, I was of course disappointed to read about your experience and that on this occasion we failed to meet the expectations we set ourselves.

I have taken on board your comments and will be discussing this with both the Executive Housekeeper and the Chef to ensure we improve our consistency. The hotel is scheduled to have refurbishment works in 2013, and we hope to cover all the points you raised in this upcoming project.

We operate a 100% guest satisfaction guarantee which encourages guests to raise issues with us when they are here to enable us with a chance to resolve them or the guest won’t pay.

I am disappointed that you feel you won’t stay with us again but I’m sure that if you change your mind we will surely change your opinion.

Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Having stayed in a number of hotels in Edinburgh for business thought I would give this one a try. It was OK but nothing exceptional. Check in staff were quite frosty, despite me being chatty but it was an effort for them to make conversation. Double room was a good standard and very spacious. Breakfast was good although it would have been nice to have a tray provided since you have to keep walking o the separate room to collect juice, fruit, toast etc...
My room looked out onto the Royal Mile which I strongly suggest you avoid and ask fo a room at the other side. There are two lively bars directly opposite the hotel and the music started at 10pm and finished at 3am when everyone vacated one of the bars. Needless to say it was not the best nights sleep.

Room Tip: Do not pick a room looking out onto the Royal Mile.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
RD_Edinburgh, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, in particular our front of house team who regularly receive praise (in person and in online reviews) for their friendly and helpful nature.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding trays for breakfast, I am glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast despite having to walk to the buffet. Regarding the noise, we are working with the Police and the council on this issue and have taken all steps we can to minimise this for our guests, including glazed windows and the provision of quieter rooms at the rear of the hotel if requested.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to leave you with a more positive impression of our services on your next business trip to Edinburgh.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

My girlfriend and I recently had an overnight Saturday stay, taking in the Royal Mile, Castle, Grassmarket, University, Parliament, etc, etc. The location could not be bettered. Other than the other plus points, the reason for this note is to comment on the excellent welcome we were given at Reception by Randall. On the following day, when waiting to leave, he took time out to come and talk to us away from the reception, making us feel as if we were more than customers. We'll return.

Dear Ian

Many thanks for taking the time to write a 5 star review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the convenient location and delighted that you took the time to personally recognise the great service of Randall.

I will make sure personally that he is recognised for his "Yes I Can" attitude.

Malcolm

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh? Share your experiences!