“Loved our Stay in Stay Central!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 10% - Book Direct
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Camarillo, California, United States
“Loved our Stay in Stay Central!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My husband and i and our two teenage boys stayed here last weekend and had a great time. They gave us the room we asked for which fit our family perfectly. What we didn't know is that it overlooked the courtyard which is one of the Fringe Festival venues, so we had loud music until 3am. Yet, it was still one of our favorite places we stayed in Great Britain. Fantastic service from Maria and the other reception staff - friendly, helpful with all sorts of travel arrangements, nice bed, great shower and the in-wall iPod dock and in-ceiling speakers was the perfect countermeasure for the late night Fringe music. Highly recommend staying here...we hope to go back!

Room Tip: If you go during the Fringe Festival (late July to Late August) and don't want to deal with loud...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Hi Ann D,

Big thank you for this great feedback regarding our STAY central hotel, it sounds like you had a fantastic time in the city!

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our modern fitted rooms, quirky room amenities and our fantastic staff - I will personally pass on your kind words to Maria, she will really appreciate them!

Don’t stay away too long and stay in touch to hear about our great returners deals,

Karen & The STAY Central Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My visit to Stay Central was absolutely lovely. Perfect location, charming rooms, friendly staff. I requested a quiet room per earlier reviewers' suggestions, and even with the Fringe raucous going on right outside, I didn't hear a sound. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hi mlbrennan10,

Thank you so much for the lovely review - it's fantastic to read such fantastic feedback about your time with us :-)

I am so pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your request of a quiet room away from the Fringe goings on. Edinburgh really does have such a fantastic atmosphere during the festival so I am so glad that you managed to enjoy it.

Don’t stay away too long! Remember and make the most of your returners rate next time you book,

Whitehaven, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed here for a hen do back in June, fab hotel, trendy, simple and clean. Love the tunnocks!! Beer garden in the courtyard out the front is fab, attached to 3 sisters pub and nightclub.
Lovely place and welcoming, ideal for young groups.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Hi LilKatiePot,

Thank you so much for leaving a top review on your recent visit to our STAY Central Hotel; it is fantastic to read that you and the other hens had a great time with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our amazing city centre location and also found the time to make the most of the Three Sisters courtyard.

Looking forward to seeing you and the other hens again with our fantastic returners rates,

Lithgow, Australia, South Pacific
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stay central was amazing. I stayed here with a tour group during the fringe festival and edinburgh tattoo and it was the perfect place to be. Amazing bar with free comedy shows and an American food stall open till 2 am was perfect for the 18 - 30 y.o with us on tour. It was perfectly located with a short 5 minute walk to the main street and pubs/clubs everywhere. It wasn't really noisy at night considering the popular bar underneath but we were on the 3rd floor. Bathroom was amazing, best shower ive ever had. 2 bad things, the room was perfectly clean when we checked in but over the few days we stayed it was evident that housekeeping was not cleaning the bathroom properly as a considerable amount of mould grew in the shower by the 3rd day. Also our towel warmer (so cool) didn't have an on switch, the double bed was 2 single pushed together and the windows were nailed shut . Would 100% stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi lizzyhatfreak,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit to STAY Central. It sounds like you and the rest of your group had a super time in Edinburgh; the Festival really does bring a great atmosphere to the city!

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the showers in the rooms; I also have to agree they are sensational. I am however disappointed to hear about the cleaning issues during your stay; this was brought up with our housekeeping manager at today’s team meeting to ensure that it does not happen again.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future; remember about our great returners discount when you book!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Ok, it was the start of the Edinburgh Festival but @ £190 per night for a very small double room excluding breakfast is a bit steep!
Why do some hotels think that by adding trendy stickers on lifts "vertical passenger transportation system" or by offering the hire of skateboards and bikes, this makes the place "boutique" thus enabling them to overcharge guests.
The reception service was average but the breakfast service in the bar next door was terrible. Admittedly when the breakfast did arrive (after almost an hour's wait) it was very good but the staff, as friendly as they were, couldn't get anything right!
The free wifi was intermittent. The HD TV screen was crystal clear until the picture/reception broke up.
The double room was only big enough to fit a double bed. The en-suite was good and the rainshower was excellent. Very warm and very powerful. The frosted glass door to the en-suite with gaps all the way around gave you no privacy. Was I in Scandinavia?
The reception staff were friendly enough but I expect a little more when paying so much.
On the morning of checkout, as we were waiting so long for the breakfast, I informed reception that we would be a little late for the 11am checkout as were were still waiting for our breakfast. The reply was that we could fetch our bags from our room and they would store them for us until we had finished! I said that we would like to brush our teeth and freshen up after breakfast so they reluctantly agreed that we could check out 10 or 15 mins late. I had to go back to them a second time as I realised we were going to be even later. On this occasion I was met with a more understanding response.
As it happened we were 40 minutes late! They then proceeded to charge us the full price of the breakfast @ £7.95 plus coffee rather than the discounted pre-booked price @ £5 all in as I had only booked the discounted price for the first morning and not the second! I refused to pay due to the long wait so they agreed to the discounted rate. There was no argument but I don't think that I should have had to make my point. It should have been offered rather than asked.
I know it's not much but it is the little things that make all the difference. It's all about service not stickers!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hi Kev M,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our STAY central. This feedback is honestly invaluable and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Not only is it good to hear what we are doing correct but it’s also good to know what we need to tweak to make sure we are providing the best service possible.

As you have noted during the Edinburgh Festival rates in all hotels across city are at peak due to the demand and footfall Fringe attracts.

We have been working hard with the adjoining Three Sisters with regards to the breakfast service for our guests; I will ensure the points you raised are addressed with them at out next management meeting.

Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

this hotel has had a refurb since we last stayed here (it was previously Tailors Hall Hotel). whilst the rooms are very clean the changes have turned this hotel into a modern basic hotel with wooden floors and basic furniture. Bed was very comfortable and linen was changed every day, good tea/coffee making facilities in room. would stay there again as it is a very central hotel with plenty of entertainment on site, but it is pricy for just the hotel room with no meals included although meals are available on site. Cannot fault the staff, all very pleasant, friendly and helpful

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking thecourtyard
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Central E, Manager at Stay Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hi ceebee86a,

Thank you so much to taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us in Edinburgh.

I am so pleased that not only did you come back to see our new look but have also given it 5 stars; we put a lot of time and effort changing the hotel to what it is today so it is fantastic to hear that it has paid off!

We do hope you come visit again soon, remember but our great returner deals when you book!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I was weary at first when I booked this hotel because I wasn't sure how family friendly it was, but I was pleasantly surprised. This hotel has a wide range of customers including families with small children, couples, and of course hipsters travelling in small groups.
Although the courtyard belongs to a pub and it can get a little rowdy at night, loud music and singing, I felt safe inside the hotel and as long as your room doesn't face the courtyard you should be fine.
The concierge is very nice and helpful. The hotel has a good location about two blocks from the Royal Mile and close to a square with lots of good restaurants.
All in all my family and I enjoyed our stay here in Edinburgh. We were here for four days and I recommend this hotel for anyone on a budget who is looking for a clean hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face the courtyard!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hi Caroline T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review on you recent stay with us in Edinburgh; it is fantastic to hear that you and your family had such an amazing holiday!

We really are lucky to be located so close to such famous attractions and the staff will be so pleased that you took the time to mention how friendly and helpful you found them - I can't wait to show them your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the STAY Central in the near future. Don’t forget to keep in contact and receive our great returners deals,

Karen & The STAY Central Team

Been to Stay Central Hotel? Share your experiences!