“A pleasant stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Durham, United Kingdom
“A pleasant stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was very impressed with High Street's accommodations and services. I would definitely stay there again. The staff were all quite friendly and helpful. The location is ideal. The bathrooms/showers were very clean for hostel standards

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very good location. Bathrooms and showers always clean. Rooms are very clean and comfortable, free lockers. But the main highlight for me was the staff. Very friendly and accommodating, very knowledgeable about Edinburgh. I had just come in from an all night bus ride and I was able to check in early and have a whole room to myself to recover. I would absolutely recommend this hostel to everyone. The strong smell that people are complaining about here is not a toilet smell, but the smell of carbolic soap which was used in schools (which this hostel used to be)!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Pressignac-Vicq, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have never felt so at home at a hostel before. The rooms were very clean as were the showers and toilets. The location was perfect. Everything is within walking distance from the hostel and it doesn't matter at what time you come back, there's always somebody there. Free use of the kitchen was a big plus because going to dinner every night wasn't feasible for our budget.
I will definitely go back one day! Edinburgh is fantastic and so is the hostel!
Couldn't have asked for anything more!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

To me, when I'm staying in a hostel, the biggest thing to me is the cleanliness of the bathrooms and if the showers have enough hot water. The High Street Hostel hits these two points dead on the nose, so the fact that the room my boyfriend and I shared was miniscule wasn't something that bothered me much. And, yes, our room was tiny - the bed took up about half the space. But, hey, I was in town to see things, not to hang out in the room, so I didn't mind at all.

Location is great - you're literally right off of the Royal Mile, and you're fairly dead-center on the length of the road, so things such as Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, and Real Mary King's Close are within easy walking distance.

The hostel had a good atmosphere - the folks at the desk were helpful and willing to answer questions about where to eat, what to do, etc. I stayed on the top floor, and most nights it was fairly quiet; there was no partying going on in rooms that we knew of. And, like I said, the bathrooms were clean and there was plenty of hot water. I'm sometimes a bit leery of mixed gender bathrooms in hostels because I'm not interested in just having a shower curtain between myself and male strangers, but the shower stalls here have doors that fit completely into the cubicle wall and lock, so there's no chance of someone bursting in on you suddenly.

The room we stayed in was a private double, and it was absolutely cheaper than staying in some budget motel miles from the city center. On a daytrip to Stirling on the train, I saw from the train a couple of the budget motels I'd considered booking, and it would've been such a hassle to get from there to where things actually were!

I will note, though, that if you or someone you're traveling with has any mobility problems, you should book elsewhere, as there isn't an elevator on the premises. One of the folks at the desk helped me with a bag when we checked out, but if someone has trouble with getting upstairs, its going to be difficult to stay here.

Would definitely stay again, and really hope I get to!

Room Tip: floor seven was really quiet when I stayed there; I stayed for about a week and the hostel was prett...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recently spent two weeks at the High Street Hostel. It was my first time staying in any hostel anywhere, and it was much better than I thought it would be! :) The staff was friendly and helpful, and there's always someone at the front desk. They dealt very quickly with late night noise issues, and it was TOTALLY worth it to pay them to do my laundry before I left. The hostel is less than a block off the Royal Mile, and within a few minutes walk of drugstores, grocery stores, pubs, restaurants, Princes Street, etc. There are also plenty of social events and ways to get involved for those who want to, but there's no pressure.

On the flip side, there are no electric outlets in the rooms, and wifi is only available in the lobby. This wasn't an issue for me, but it is for some. Also, the room I was in (Aquarium) got incredibly hot and stuffy at night when it was full, although that wouldn't have been an issue if my roommates had been willing to leave the window open. :P The showers and toilets are coed, which can be awkward, but the stalls are very private.

As long as it's a financial option, I WILL choose to stay in places where I can have my own room. If I ever need a hostel in Edinburgh again, I'd definitely stay at High Street again!

Room Tip: I like the option of sleeping in a female only room....there was a guy assigned to mine briefly, but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

-Great location near South Bridge, 3 minutes walk to Waverley Station
-I was in female dorm called "Aquarium", the room was quite dark, but clean.
-Mixed gender of shower room and toilet seems not so good idea, even they are clean & ventilated.
-Helpful staff with a small bag of Christmas gift for everyone.
-No any plugs in the rooms, charging mobiles or cameras are only at the lobby!
-Free wifi is also only at reception.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Friendly staff, amazing location. Our trip was end of November, and the first night we were there, there was a sign telling us to leave the window open, and we had no heat! That was quite brutal, but the second night they brought a space heater.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to High Street Hostel? Share your experiences!