“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bonham

You added The Bonham to your Saves list
The Bonham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 7RN, Scotland (West End)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% off Best Rates
Ranked #55 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Thank you so much to the Bonham Hotel, Edinburgh for making my boyfriend's 30th birthday absolutely perfect.

Check in - absolutely faultless. The staff were so friendly and, even though there was limited car parking, they took my car keys and sorted the car parking for me.

The Room - Room 308 was just perfect. Beautiful views. Beautiful decor.

The Breakfast - Absolutely gorgeous. I had the full Scottish breakfast the first day and Bacon and Maple Syrup on French Toast the second day.

Recommend this hotel 100%.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have wonderful views
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was my 7th stay at the Bonham and once again it scores highly. I always try to have a room on the 3rd or 4th floor at the rear for the wonderful views down to the water. Rooms are very comfortable and well maintained with excellent beds. The service is friendly and efficient and this tine the breakfast service, sometimes a bit slow, was much improved. The breakfast itself with plenty of choice and freshly cooked options is terrific. If you prefer a hotel outside the big chains (I do) you can do no better.

Room Tip: Rear on upper floors for the great views
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a nice hotel, great location, well priced but a bit tired.

The room (3rd floor superior double) was very spacious, had amazing views and a good size bathroom. Very clean.
Breakfast was average but the bar had a nice feel and the cocktails were good.

What let The Bonham down was service - restaurant staff need more training, reception staff need to smile and room service should advise if there is to be a delay.

glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was our second stay at the Bonham it was just as perfect at the first time, the hotel has a sumptuous luxury feel about it from the minute the door man welcomes you in. On arrival the receptionist was friendly and helpful they took our suitcases so we could go out for lunch while the room was being prepared. We were given room 6 which is situated downstairs in the basement, any fears of a dark or small room where firmly quashed on opening the door. The room was extremely large, we stayed in a junior suite before which was about equal in size. The bed was stunning and extremely comfortable although not enough pillows for our liking I didnt bother to ask for more im sure it wouldn't have been a problem if I did, the cheap ugly pretend canvas was the only thing that let such a beautiful room down. The bathroom was also large, clean and bright, only 1 teeny bottle of white stuff shower gel and shampoo between us. The hairdryer was of really poor quality and barley done the job so if you have long or thick hair I would bring your own. Bath robes where not in the room on arrival but a quick call to reception and 2 robes were quickly delivered along with the tea and fresh milk I requested from a polite and cheerful staff member. Breakfast was delicious I would really recommend the french toast with bacon and maple syrup. I am already planning a return visit at easter with the kids in tow.

• Stayed March 2014
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night last weekend with a friend after bidding for a stay at a charity silent auction. The staff were very helpful in booking the night however it was really difficult to get hold of them on the phone as it seemed to be constantly busy. They didn't get my email address correct so I had to chase them for confirmation which was a bit frustrating given the difficulty getting through to them. I also asked the person who booked the room if she could book the restaurant for me and she said they were fully booked but did offer 2 times which were either very early or quite late so I decided to leave it and ask when we got there. We arrived to a very warm welcome from the staff and asked about a dinner reservation and were given the perfect time - the restaurant certainly wasn't full and there were 4 free tables the whole time we sat there so I really don't understand the problem they had finding us a table. We had a drink in the bar before dinner and the barman was charming as was the restaurant manager who very helpfully explained one or two items on the menu for us. Our food was excellent and very reasonable. After a very comfy night we enjoyed a lovely breakfast with yet more super staff. To sum up, I would go again as it has a great location, the staff are excellent, food very tasty. The only issue was getting through to speak to reservations and the dinner booking which is why I didn't score it with full marks.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
durham, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My friend and I shared a twin room for one night which we purchased as an excellent special deal. The room was large, clean, quiet and airy with good views All the usual facilities were provided, tea/coffee, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, towelling robes and bathroom toiletries. The staff were friendly and courteous and the food was very good.
Tiny little niggles which stop me giving the full 5 stars were:- a) The mattress on my bed was a tad soft for me but I think this is personal preference because my friend slept like a log and her mattress was fine. The pillows were fine.
b) The television didn't work properly and, although the staff gave us immediate attention to right the problem, we couldn't sort it out when we switched it on again. Not a problem for us really as we were out most of the time.
c) We couldn't get the trouser press to work, but, again, it was no big deal
d) Personal preference again but I didn't like the bog standard bread they used for morning toast. The bread they served with the evening meal soup was much nicer

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We tried the Bonham for a business stay after trying The George previously and finding it extremely lacking. Loved The Bonham - a similar old stone townhouse with wood pannelling, a little shabby around the edges but generally cosy, friendly and spotlessly clean. A ltlle quirkier too. The little Consulting Room bar is great, with a decent wine list and friendly barman; the restaurant is terrific if you like really good, slightly heavy European style food. Compared to The George the rooms are brighter with nice baths, more amenities including The White Company toiletries, free wi-fi, really lovely choice of fresh cooked breakfast options both buffet and a la carte (from full Scottish to pancakes etc) and a decent mini bar in the room. And no paper thin walls! Comfy beds although I do agree with one review that said the pillows are a little flat.
My two colleagues (we are all female) really liked it too. I had dinner in the restaurant the first night on my own and had a drink on my own in the bar and felt fine being solo.
We will be back!

Room Tip: I stayed in 305 and thought it was lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Bonham? Share your experiences!