“Beautiful hotel in interesting city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bonham

You added The Bonham to your Saves list
The Bonham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 7RN, Scotland (West End)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% off Best Rates
Ranked #36 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Beautiful hotel in interesting city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

My friend & I stayed at the Bonham Hotel for a few days to sample some of the Edinburgh Festival, as my friend's daughter is working at the 'Underbelly' box office near Grassmarket. We saw a few shows and generally walked miles seeing all the cultural things you have to see whilst in Edinburgh. The Bonham Hotel is a lovely old building, which I believe used to be an old bank building. It is stylish and modern, beautifully finished to a high standard. The room itself was lovely, we had a regular twin room. plasma tv etc, with a lovely bathroom. I asked for a room high up and at the back and thats exactly what I had. The bathroom is supplied with all the lovely Molton Brown toiletries. The staff were extremely helpful and polite and nothing was ever too much trouble for them to help you. The breakfasts were great, range of cooked breakfast including full scottish breakfast with haggis etc, kippers, scottish kedgeree etc, range of hams, cheese, fruits, wonderful chocolate croissants etc, choice of juices etc etc. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the main sights, in a lovely quiet location. I would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again if ever in Edinburgh again. We flew up to Edinburgh and got the bus right outside the airport when you come out - its the airport link bus number 100, it costs 5 pounds for an open return ticket. If you get off in the Royal Mile, just after the Somerfield store (which is on your right), and walk along the main road bearing left into the first road, continuing straight on, through two sets of traffic lights, then next road on your left, the Bonham Hotel is tucked into a quiet road. We found it very easily, and got the bus back from the same place. It saves walking all the way down to Waverley Rail Station. The bus takes about 20/25 minutes to get to and from the airport. We booked the rooms through Alpharooms.com and I had to make two bookings to cover the days that we were staying at the hotel. I had a bit of trouble with one of my bookings (the supplier through Alpharooms cancelled one of the bookings without telling me) but the hotel very kindly sorted it out for me. They were really helpful and I would most likely book through the hotel website in future if we go back to this hotel. If I can help with any additional info please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Liked — Finished to a high standard, clean, nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff, lovely food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
North London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

An ideal hotel for a short break in Edinburgh. Not far from Princes Street, the Castle and a plethora of restaurants and bars but in a quiet location.
The handsome hotel is in a terrace (3 properties I think) and is currently being partly refurbished. Our room on the third floor was small but attractively decorated. The staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly.
As another reviewer commented there is no air conditioning but to be honest I'm sure it is rarely needed. Our room was fine with the windows open but communal areas were quite warm.
As we already had other commitments we did not sample the restaurant but the menu was very appealing.

• Liked — General ambiance and location
  • Disliked — Room a little cramped.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

We liked the quite location of the hotel. The beds were very comfortable. Beware though, that it has no air conditioning and we just happened to be there when it was warm so it was hard to sleep. We asked for a fan but it never arrived. There was no clock in the room either. We had emailed them ahead of our arrival for their help to find the closest place to the hotel to go do a specfic activitiy but unfortunately no one looked into it for us. I would still reccomend the hotel though.

• Liked — views, quite street
  • Disliked — no air conditioning
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed here at the beginning of our honeymoon and thought it was excellent. The location is great, it's within walking distance of the town centre and in a lovely elegant terrace.

Our room was very nice (no. 1) - spacious with a big comfy bed, thick curtains that blocked out the light and, up its own staircase, a lovely panelled bathroom with a huge copper slipper bath (and nice fluffy towels!) which was fantastic for wallowing in (and which filled surprisingly quickly).

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful without being obsequious. We didn't try the restaurant (although our room service sandwiches when we arrived too exhausted to go out were very good!) but breakfast was good with plenty of choice whenever we turned up.

The hotel has a small car park at the back for guests but it is quite tight - we hired a car at the end of our stay and were a bit nervous about getting in and out.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to people wanting something a bit more personal than a large chain hotel.

• Liked — The bath!
  • Disliked — The car park
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

The Bonham is a wonderful and luxurious place to stay and I would highly recommend it. The staff provide a personal, but unobtrusive service and could not do enough to ensure we had everything we needed, be it taxis, advice, coffee or cocktails! The breakfasts are delicious and the restaurant is exceptionally good:very tasty food and good (but not excessive) portion sizes. The corridors upstairs could do with a lick of paint, but I cannot fault the location, service and ambiance of this hotel. If you need a hotel in Edinburgh, this is definitely the one to stay in.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — T
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

The Bonham is a lovely boutique hotel a few minutes walk from Princes Street, yet ina quiet location.
We had a standard room at the back on the hotel which had great views across the city to the water. The rooms were the best bit of the hotel, modern and well styled with original art on the walls and stunning black and deep red colouring. Large comfortable beds and molton brown toiletries.
the staff were really helpful at all times.
The disappointing factor for us were the breakfasts - we were on a B+B package, so didn't have to pay the excessive £11 for a cooked breakfast. The continental buffet table was very empty when we arriaved for breakfast at around 9.15am and can't believe a hotel of this spec would serve toast from a basic sliced loaf!
Overall we would go back, but have breakfast elsewhere.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

My husband and I planned a weekend trip to Edinburgh a couple of months ago - I went to university there and love the city even though I hadn't managed a trip there in 5 years. We got engaged the last time we were there.

I knew I wanted to stay in the New Town and after reading reviews on Trip Advisor booked the Bonham. Then a couple of weeks before the trip I realised I was going to have to make a business trip to the USA and the only way I could make the weekend break was to catch an overnight flight direct to Edinburgh. I contacted the Bonham and asked if I could have an early check in (so I could get a few hours sleep before my husband flew over from Northern Ireland). The receptionist I spoke to was charming and helpful and while she couldn't guarantee my room would be available she would do her best, and if it wasn't ready she would make sure I had somewhere comfortable to wait. I wasn't optimistic when I arrived at 9 in the morning but lo and behold my room was ready!

The room was lovely - big very comfy bed with good quality linens, fabulous window with great view over Dean Village, and heavy curtains that completely blocked out the light (v. important to me at the time). So when my husband arrived I was refreshed and ready for the weekend ahead.

The Bonham is in a typically regal New Town crescent, even my taxi driver commented on the splenour of the location, very quiet and residential but still only a 5 minute walk to George Street. So its a great location for shopping, night life and museums.

The restaurant looked great but we chose to go out and about rather than eat there. I'm afraid I didn't make it down to breakfast (I blame the jet lag) but my husband said it was very good.

The hotel staff were all very helpful and courteous, and the common areas of the hotel were all stylishly decorated and lit.

2 little quibbles - as previous reviewers mentioned, I had booked a deal which offered a complimentary bottle of wine in room. The wine wasn't there. I didn't mention it at the hotel as there was no time when I particularly wanted to sit in my room and drink a bottle of wine, but still it should have been there. Also, our shower didn't maintain a constant temperature - I guess its an old building and these things happen so only a minor irritant.

Over all the Bonham is a great place to spend a weekend, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, and would defintely consider it for the future.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The Shower
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Bonham? Share your experiences!