“Lovely hotel for a city break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bonham

Save Saved
You added The Bonham to your Saves list
The Bonham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 7RN, Scotland (West End)   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Yorkshire
“Lovely hotel for a city break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We visited the Bonham for our 2 month wedding anniversary (yes, we're sad like that!) and the hotel staff did everything to make us feel special; truly excellent service, especially the welcome from the lovely lady at check-in.

We ate in the hotel on the Friday night and really enjoyed the meal - delicious food that was very well presented (especially the happy anniversary message on our desserts - such a lovely touch). The restaurant had a great atmposphere too. Breakfast was good; interesting selection of a la carte dishes as well as a well stocked continental buffet.

The hotel was perhaps a little less boutique-y and more traditional in its style than I had envisaged but still stylish, elegant and relaxing, with the odd quirky touch. We were in room 405 which had a huge window with a stunning view over the gardens and beyond to the sea and very quiet. It was a very spacious room with the bathroom down a little corridor - we liked the sky light in there over the shower! Note that only shampoo and shower gel are provided; bring your own conditioner and body lotion.

We had drinks in the Consulting Room by the log fire which was cosy. The waitress behind the bar seemed quite chaotic in her approach; she'd start making our drinks - would get distracted and do something else- then do a bit more of ours - then disappear again! Great selection of gin and delicious when it arrived. We didn't spend much time in the hotel on the Saturday night as there was a wedding on and didn't want to be in the way. We went to the Balmoral Bar for their cocktail tasting menu which was fab!

In terms of location, we thought it was great. About £7 in a taxi from Waverley Station and a lovely walk through beautiful Georgian streets past some great shopping to the main tourist attractions. I generally prefer to be a bit out of the way and happy to walk so it was perfect for us, perhaps less so if you want to be where all the action is.

If we were to visit Edinburgh again I'd be very happy to stay at the Bonham a second time. We actually went for a nosy around the Scotsman as we'd been close to booking that one, and much prefered the relaxed atmosphere of the Bonham.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with a view - they were very obliging with us!

784 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went here for afternoon tea with my partner and baby. The room used for afternoon tea definitely isn't suitable for children but we expected that (couldn't get a babysitter). Felt a but self conscious as everyone was pretty quiet in there and I thought it could have done with some music.

There was a generous portion of sandwiches per person and one scones each which seemed a bit small but they were tasty. Good selection of lovely cakes and a nice pot of tea. Staff were friendly and helpful. I got an online voucher which was a good deal but if I was going to pay full price I'd maybe go to The Howard where afternoon tea is second to none!

Have also stayed overnight at The Bonham and it was great. Big comfy bed and a nice deep bath, would stay again as I have a weakness for georgian hotels :)

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
thebonham, General Manager at The Bonham, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am writing with regard to your recent stay at The Bonham and would like to thank you very much for taking the time to supply us with feedback about your experience.

I have placed a copy of your questionnaire with your comments on our staff notice board for all the team to see.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in our consulting room and our comfortable Beds. I hope that I can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Johanne Falconer
glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Some very good points. Some very bad points.
The good. - pleasant friendly reception and bar staff who seem to care.
Great location
Night manager was truly lovely - she alone was a shining star.
Hotel is a lovely building and beautiful decor, warm and inviting.

The bad. Chaotic, I was on an itison deal and was made (inadvertently, but still) to feel second class citizen. We were presented with a la carte menus only to have them snatched from us and told ( loudly) oh you don't get that if you're on a deal! The. We were told wine was included with our menu. (It wasn't mentioned on our deal, so I questioned this) was told definitely yes. Next morning what a surprise when I was charged for the wine.
3 different waitresses approached to offer drinks. Attentive certainly but too much so. Ill-organised ad not knowledgable of their product. Food was not good, beef was disgustingly fatty and pheasant not better. My plate was taken away barely touched and no-one asked why I hadn't eaten.

Room was large but bland, not offensive in any way but not great either, no robes, slippers or toiletries. No hair conditioner.

Breakfast in bed didn't Happen, we were given no info as too what we were Allowed and after the debacle of the night before's embarrassment at dinner, I just didn't bother.

All in all not great but not awful either. Disappointed

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience at The Bonham.

I am so sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

I will be in contact to you personally to discuss all aspects of your stay and will be addressing the areas you have highlighted with my team.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Johanne Falconer
Dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had a really lovely stay, everything was perfect. The staff were so accommodating and really went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. We'd arrived before check-in and had planned on leaving our bags at reception and then going for a meal in their restuarant, however they so kindly allowed us to check-in an hour or so before we should of. The room was all set up and a bottle of prosecco was delivered to us, just as we'd finished unpacking! There were home made chocolates and rose petals on the bed. The room was big and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was also huge and had a bath and a shower. The bath was amazing. We went down for lunch where things continued to get better, again the staff were so helpful and lovely, and the food was to die for. There's so many wonderful points about this hotel that my mind keeps jumping frantically from one thing to the other as I'm worried I'll miss something out! The bed was humongous and very comfy and we had the option of breakfast in bed which was really lovely. We couldn't fault anything, and will certainly be back, and recommending this hotel to friends and family staying in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: I'd recommend dining in their restaurant, staff and food is fantastic!
Helensburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed on the 18th November in Room 402 courtesy of an Itison Deal. Service was fantastic from start to finish, the old fashioned quietly courteous and friendly style of service you don't receive very often nowadays. The room was spacious (in the attic) and well furnished. We had a bottle of wine freshly chilling when we arrived which must have been delivered while we checked in. As i was recovering from a 'bug' we didn't take full advantage of the bar 'The Consulting Room'. The food very good and although it didn't look substantial I was full afterwards (I have what could be described as a 'healthy appetite'). The presentation is beautiful with the flavour to back it up. This hotel has old fashioned elegance with quirky touches, a good location (short walk to the shops) and from our room outstanding views as far as the Firth. I would have no hesitation staying again.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms have stunning views
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The room was lovely, well sized and had stunning views across the river and out to the sea.

Everything was very friendly and welcoming, with chocolates on arrival.. Can't really complain, breakfast was good with lots of choice (a little chaotic and slow but..) Johanne the manager was brilliant too!

We stayed on recommendation from a friend who grew up in Edinburgh, the setting is wonderful, but a little trek from the centre of everything... Sounds silly as it's only a 30 minute walk but when you just go somewhere for the weekend, you need all the time you can get.

Would stay again but made sure we stayed an extra night in the city.

Room Tip: We asked for an excellent view and got room 402, apparently with the best view in the hotel... It wa...
St Andrews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travelled here with a friend and we had a fantastic time. We had a little trouble finding the hotel but we called and the gentleman who answered was so friendly and helpful which gave us a great first impression before we even stepped foot through the door!

We then checked in and the staff at the Front Desk were great and made us feel immediately at home. Then when we got to the room there was our champagne, homemade sweets and rose petals on the bed (we had booked a package)! It all looked lovely and they had got the timing perfect as the ice hadn't melted in the bucket for the champagne. The room was nice but not amazing but perfect for what we were looking for. FYI ladies there is a huge mirror in the bedroom and a huge one in the bathroom big enough for 2!

We also had dinner included in our package which was 3 courses off their set 'Market Menu'. We got seated quickly and were able to choose our table as it was quiet which was nice! When we sat down however we realised that they were the most uncomfortable tables we had ever sat at, there was barely any room for your legs as there was a huge square table leg so we had to sit at an angle the whole meal. The restaurant was also unbearably hot which did not add to the experience. Unfortunately neither I nor my friend really fancied anything on the menu which was not the hotels fault so we ordered from it hoping for the best!

My friends starter was lovely but I ordered the ham hough terrine which I found cartilage in after my second bite which put me off completely and really the chef should have noticed. For mains we had the pheasant which was delicious and full of flavour and also the pasta with vegetables which was bland and unenjoyable.

Even though it seems that we had an awful meal the restaurant manager Justin turned the whole thing around for us. He picked up on the fact that we were too hot (we don't like complaining so we didn't mention the heat) and opened the window for us; he also picked up on the fact that we weren't thrilled with our meal and didn't really fancy a dessert so asked if we would like anything else. We asked if it would be OK to have an espresso martini instead and even though it wasn't on the menu and they didn't know how to make it, they looked up the recipe and came out with the best one I had tried. So much so we ordered another! He clearly cares about his customers which turned our experience around and we forgot that we didn't really enjoy the food.

The next morning we had breakfast in bed which was divine. We both ordered eggs Benedict and the poached eggs were cooked to perfection (never usually happens with room service) and on the tray we also had pastries, toast, tea, coffee, fruit, yoghurt...anything you would want!

By far the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Absolutely everyone member of staff we encountered was friendly. Justin on the Front Desk was wonderful; he chatted to us, gave us tips on where to go and sorted our breakfast for us.

The next time I am in Edinburgh I will be stayed at the Bonham!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Bonham? Share your experiences!