Just returned from a lovely long weekend stay at the Bonham. We had a struggle finding the hotel at first as our SatNav didn't want to recognise that one way streets existed! a local taxi driver said it was a common problem in that area and pointed us in the right direction. We were glad to have found a hotel with private parking but this is limited so arrive early. Even though the car park looked full, a member of staff took our keys and managed to slot us in.
The hotel is situated in the top corner of the beautiful Drumsheugh Gardens in the West End, a lovely Georgian square of town houses. It's very understated from the outside and really swanky inside. Beautiful fittings, furniture and lighting, not to mention some beautiful art throughout, gives this hotel a feeling of luxury.
We stayed in a small but good quality room on the third floor. Not much room for storage and hardly enough space for one person to put away their clothes, let alone two. It looked as though the room had been recently renovated and it really was lovely. Spotless and fresh. The Molton Brown toiletries were a bonus too. Previous reviews had mentioned a lovely view and they weren't kidding. It was breathtaking! I've added a picture so you can see for yourself.
The breakfast was great, with excellent quality full cooked and continental to choose from. Definitely above average. The dinning room is gorgeous and although we didn't have diner here, it looked popular in the evening and the menu's looked good (if a little expensive). See their website for samples.
The thing that i would change about the hotel, is one that i have seen other reviewers mention too. The temperature in the rooms and hotel in general is hotter than the surface of the sun! I know it's October but it was so hot it was funny. we opened the windows as far as they would go and turned off every radiator in the room, but still found it difficult to sleep. Luckily we laughed about it for our entire stay but it did make it uncomfortable at times. Also, our loo seat broke on the first day (yep, i broke it!) and even though i reported it, it was never changed while we were there.
Other reviews give very different time scales for how far the Bonham is from the main town. I'm a very slow walker and to get to Princess street was 15 minutes. A fast walker would do it in 10 maybe. However, when you have spent the day walking up the castle and around the center, it does seem a long way when your feet are killing you!
If you're looking for places to eat, try Zizzi, a very popular, well priced Italian about 10 minutes from the hotel. You may have to book if you are eating after 7.30. Also, i want to recommend Rendezvous, a Chinese (i know, daft name for a Chinese), in the same area. Its the kind of place you would walk past as the curb appeal isn't what it could be. This was the best Chinese meal i have ever had- seriously, and very reasonable. Give it a try.
All in all, a great stay at the Bonham. Staff were very helpful and friendly and it was close enough to the town to be handy and far enough away to be quiet and relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bonham is a boutique hotel in Scotland with a very contemporary spirit. It occupies a series of Victorian buildings in the West End of Edinburgh, whose soaring natural proportions have allowed us to create a truly dynamic set of rooms and public spaces. At The Bonham hotel in Edinburgh, we have used bold colour, rich texture and contemporary art and photography to build an environment that is fun, upbeat, welcoming and with the unmistakable buzz of being part of a great Scottish city.There are 49 boutique rooms and suites at The Bonham, each individually styled so that, among them, you will almost certainly find the one you have been waiting for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Bonham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Bonham Hotel Edinburgh
- Bonham Hotel Edinburgh
- The Bonham Edinburgh, Scotland