“Extraordinary!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Witchery by the Castle

and 1 more site!
You added The Witchery by the Castle to your Saves list
The Witchery by the Castle
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   The Royal Mile | Castlehill, Edinburgh EH1 2NF, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)   |
Ranked #105 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Culver City, California
“Extraordinary!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

A truly extraordinary environment and experience! The location is terrific, adjacent to Edinburgh Castle at the top of the Royal Mile. We stayed in the Guardroom (with a view of Castle walls from the bedroom) for four nights in early May. The suite was expansive (effectively a large one-bedroom apartment), thematically imaginative/whimsical/historic, and very comfortable & quiet.

Each morning began with a generous & tasty breakfast selection (from beverages and baked goods, to fruit, cheese, charcuterie, and cereal), delivered to our dining nook and laid out by a cheerful staffmember. Each afternoon, we'd return to our room to find a replenished stock of yummy cookies, bottles of Glenlivet sparkling and still water, and a bottle of Champagne. Each evening's turn-down service included a wonderful chocolate bar.

Everyone we interacted with on the staff was very helpful and knowledgable (our sincere thanks to all of you)! Their advice on directions/distances/timing and recommendations for dining, etc, were very helpful indeed. When we had a question about the heated towel rack in the bathroom and the thermostat in the bedroom, a staffer arrived in minutes to remedy and assist.

The only thing that was a bit of a surprise was that there wasn't wifi/internet connection in the room - although we were told that it was something they were looking to address in the not-too-distant future.

On the whole: a wonderful, enchanting, indulgent, fun, memorable, and thoroughly enjoyable visit! Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Each room is truly unique! Do check out their website to help in your selection.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I went to the Witchery with my girlfriend as a treat. We were bowled over by the great atmosphere and the ambiance of the place. I ordered the double sirloin steak and she ordered the pork. I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the steak. Quite easily the best I have ever tasted. Not cheap but worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This establishment is ideal for the sights of Edinburgh old town. It's location just down from the castle creates a sense of history and makes one feel like you have travelled back in time. The service is excellent and the food is great too

• Stayed March 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having read the reviews (Mr & Mrs Smith, Conde Nast Traveller and various other design and travel magazines) I knew that The Witchery in Edinburgh was going to be amazing. But what can't be captured in the reviews (and mine being one of them) is the crackle and magic in the air which you feel when you stay in such an amazingly beautiful and historical hotel as The Witchery. Every detail and touch in our suite The Guardroom was perfect. The design, the lavish interior, the charming staff, the breakfast in our bath robes in our own suite sitting room - every delicious detail and touch was pure luxury and decadence. This is a place that you have to stay at least once in your life. The only tiny tweak I would say is the bath robes could be a tiny bit more luxurious (I like my bath robes fluffy and plush) oh and maybe anti-pigeon window sills - but maybe the cooing birds were just trying to get a better look at our gorgeous suite! :)

• Stayed May 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My fiance booked us a stay in the Old Rectory suite as a birthday surprise and I have to say, it was the best place ive ever stayed in my life! The Witchery isnt just a place to stay for the night, its an experience. From the moment I arrived, I was absolutely stunned. The staff were amazing (and were fully in on the secret!), we were shown to our suite, where there was champagne waiting on ice, robes and slippers to wear, a special breakfast table already set, Witchery branded chocolate on the pillows, the works! All the little details really make this place special.
We completed the experience with dinner in The Secret Garden restaurant downstairs, which was simply beautiful. Compliments to the chef! We also had to make use of that lovely breakfast table in the room, so had our continental breakfast (which was included in the price) delivered to the room.
I honestly cant say enough good things about this place and I cant wait to go back there, perhaps for a wedding anniversary trip one day.

Room Tip: The free standing bath really makes this room stand out from the others!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oswestry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I went with my parents to the Witchery for evening dining at the restaurant. I had very high expectations as my parents had been there on many occasions whilst staying there for the Edinburgh Tattoo. Well this time we were there for Hogmanay and had booked in for our final evening.

I was enchanted but the fantastic decor and ambience and it was definitely living up to my expectations and what was described.

I decided to have steak for my main course which was ordered to be cooked rare medium. It arrived well done. The steak was not lean and was full of fat. The chips were dry and crisp as if left overs from someone else meal. The carrots were not fresh and over steamed and shrivelled. My parents meals were also very poor.

Overall I was very disappointed with my experience and was disappointed I didn't book into the Rhubarb restaurant at Prestinfield House for the final night which was fantastic.

Overall disappointed!

• Stayed December 2012
Mansfield, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Went here for a meal and found the whole experience very enjoyable. We ate in the witchery dining room which was amazing as it was very atmospheric with its dark paneling, candlelight and old worldly look. The service was a bit slow at the start but soon picked up! Me and boyfriend had the same dish (three little pigs) which was very nice but I wouldn't say it was worth the money we paid. However, the pudding, the focaccia and drinks we had at the witchery more then made up for our earlier disappointment. Therefore, I would still recommend the witchery to people as the decor is stunning and the restaurant has a lot of things going for it but I would just choose something else of the menu!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to The Witchery by the Castle? Share your experiences!