“Definitely worth a visit ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scotch Whisky Experience

The Scotch Whisky Experience
354 Castlehill | The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2NE, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)
+44 131 220 0441
Activities: Shopping, Drinking
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Take a barrel ride as you actually become part of the whisky making process. Experience for yourself our regional whiskies and whether you like fruity, sweet or smoky flavours our experts will help you select your perfect dram.Enter the vault containing the world's largest collection of Scotch Whiskies and enjoy a special tutored nosing and tasting. Explore Scotland's whisky history from the very beginnings through to the global success of today. *Important access information* We are delighted to announce that our lift is currently being replaced, with a brand new facility available in the new year. Please be aware that from now until a proposed mid-March finish date for this extensive project, our lift will be closed. This will mean that our tour is inaccessible to wheelchair users, as it takes place over two levels. Our restaurant, Amber will also not be accessible, as it is situated on the lower ground floor. Our specialist whisky shop is at street level so will be unaffected
Waterford
“Definitely worth a visit ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to go to the Scotch Whiskey Experience in July 2014. Being an Irish man I'm quite fond of whiskey especially the Irish Jameson so I knew I'd enjoy this, my girlfriend however absolutely hates whiskey so she didn't know what to expect. We chose the silver tour.
The tour starts with a short barrel ride to explain how whiskey is made, this was fun and we both enjoyed it. Then we were brought into another room where we learned about the different types of whiskey in Scotland and the different flavours in the whiskey. We then got a choice to sample a type of whiskey of our choice. Then we got a tour of the largest whiskey collection in the world. Afterwards we both took some time to relax and make use of the bar. By the end of the tour my girlfriend was actually enjoying the whiskey and she claims this experience was the best part about our trip in Edinburgh. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and recommended a few different types of whiskey for us to try. Overall I would highly recommend this trip if you are in Edinburgh.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great experience, essential to any Edinburgh visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was so much fun. I found that the price was pretty cheap for all the cool stuff you learn and get. It starts with a barrel ride through the history of Scotch Whiskey. Very very cool. Not just for Whiskey enthusiasts but anyone even mildly interested will be impressed. I came knowing next to nothing about Whiskey and left with a new appreciation and love for the drink! Once the barrel ride tour is over, you go into a room and have the different regions and varying flavors of whiskey explained. You get to pick which regions flavors/scents you prefer and then get to taste a glass of that particular whiskey. The whiskey they had for tasting was great and our tour guide was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and excellent with answering questions. You get to keep the super cool glass you got from the tasting and the tour ends in the bar. After the tour my friend and i got another glass of whiskey and the bar tenders were particularly helpful and friendly. I said the region i had liked most at the tasting and they helped me pick out and excellent glass from their incredibly vast selection. Overall a wonderful experience i would recommend to anyone!

Stevenage
29 attraction reviews
“Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Too expensive for the experience in itself. I wasn't impressed and I was most looking forward to it in our group. Whisky was also of poor quality.

Saint Louis, Missouri
9 attraction reviews
“Educational, fun, but pushed through”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The tour starts with a short "barrel" ride which is fun even for kids. We are not whisky drinkers, but thought "when in Scotland", we should find out more. It was interesting to hear about the different regions and to see the huge impressive collection of whisky bottles. I felt we were hurried out of the room too quickly and since we ended up dumping some of our pour of whisky as a result. We were not really encouraged to remain in the bar either.

Chester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Excellent cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Just popped in for a rest on a warm day. Gaelic coffee delicious. A wee dram selected with help from excellent staff. Great cakes for the kids. Good value for money (relatively).