“Really enjoyable tour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Scotch Whisky Experience

The Scotch Whisky Experience
354 Castlehill | The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2NE, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)
44-131-220-0441
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Take a barrel ride as you actually become part of the whisky making process. Experience for yourself our regional whiskies and whether you like fruity, sweet or smoky flavours our experts will help you select your perfect dram.Enter the vault containing the world’s largest collection of Scotch Whiskies and enjoy a special tutored nosing and tasting. Explore Scotland’s whisky history from the very beginnings through to the global success of today.
Oxford, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
“Really enjoyable tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I'm not a whiskey drinker but I really enjoyed this tour. Starts off with a barrel ride where you're shown how whiskey is made. Then a tour guide takes you through the different types of whiskey from the different regions. Then you get to taste in a room that is every whiskey lovers dream. A must do if you're in Edinburgh,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

friends recomended this to us, the barrel ride is informative if a little cheesey, but well executed.
Tasting pretty informative if you are unfamiliar with whisky types, again pretty well done and you get to keep the glass. and for just over £12 in a really tourist rich area its not bad value for money.
Whisky bar and cafe downstairs are worth a look

London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as a proper Distillery visit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having visited a working distillery in the Scottish Highlands a few years ago I wasn't sure what to expect, but I approached with an open mind. The first part of the tour was a rather dumbed down, overwrought and Disneyfied audio vsual affair, where you are taken round in barrel. It reminded me of the 'Bubbleworks' ride at Chessington World of adventures. More Theme Park than Adult experience. Some visitors might respond positively to a video of an over the top actor hamming it up being projected onto the wall, but It t did not resonate with me I'm afraid.
Once this had ended we were given a shor talk explaining the various types of whisky and the various varieties of single malt, which was rather more informative. This was followed by a tasting, but as we had opted for the least expensive 'silver' tour we were limited to one type of whisky only. Being allowed to keep the glass was a nice touch. Once this had finished we were shown the World's largest whisky collection and given a brief explanation by the guide. I'm afraid I didn't purchase anything in the shop, despite the £2 off a70cl bottle the prices were somewhat less than enticing. Not a bad experience overall and at £12 not bad value. In my opinion though you are better off visiting an actual distillery to experience the sights and smells.

Reigate, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
“Fantastic tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

What a brilliant whisky tour. As a stag party of 15 we were shown round by Alison. She was knowledgeable, friendly and in short made the tour FANTASTIC! I would highly recommend this tour even if you dont like Whisky. I would say this is possibly better than the guiness factory in Dublin!! Gold tour recommended!!

St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Not bad......would be nice to taste more than 1 whisky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I enjoyed it......very informative even for a whisky drinker. Chose the silver tour and for £12 you get a nice glass to take away and a taste of 1 whisky but for the money I would have thought 2 tasters or even all 4 but with smaller quantities would be even better. There are some rare whisky's in the shop but better bargains to be had in your local supermarket if I am honest.