“SIMPLY AMAZING!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Howard

Save Saved
You added The Howard to your Saves list
The Howard
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Great King Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QH, Scotland (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Gourmet Getaway
Ranked #14 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“SIMPLY AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I had my wedding reception at the Howard back in December 2008, I visited several hotels to pick the venue but I was totally blown away with this place as soon as I walked through the door!

I had the marchmont suite, which is a terrace room with its own private exit. There was a seperate living room and two bathrooms! Handy for when my dad was getting dressed!

The staff are absolutly fantastic and cannot do enough for you, my brother in law ordered tea at three in the morning when his little girl would not sleep!

Most of our family stayed here and all of them were impressed with the hotel! Even my father in law was stunned and that never happens!

I cannot wait to stay at the hotel again, or even just go for afternoon tea!

I always recommed the Howard to anyone who visits us!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

The Howard is an elegant hotel. It is so discreet you would hardly know it was there. Our stay at the hotel, and a visit to the Tattoo, were treats for my husband's special birthday. It is quite a long, steep walk up into Edinburgh town centre but it is situated in a very nice part of Edinburgh with lots of restaurants nearby. We had an attractive room with a super bathroom which had a roll-top bath, and first-rate shower.

The bedroom and bathroom were clean, apart from the bottom of the toilet pan which was discoloured. I know we are all trying to look after the enviroment but it required some strong stain-remover to make it look pristine. The towels were the most disappointing we have had in any hotel. They were not brilliantly white- they were tired and well-washed (not thick and fluffy as you would expect in such an establishment) and one of the bathrobes had a hole in one sleeve - it appeared to have become threadbare after many washes rather than a tear being the cause. This was definitely not five-star and it badly let the hotel down as the robe should have been taken out of service long before it got to that stage. It was, of course, changed immediately we drew attention to it. The television table had numerous ring marks on it - obviously caused by previous guests but which, again, was not the standard one expects of a five-star hotel.

On the plus side there was a very nice flower arrangement in the room, with a note from the manager Fiona McIlroy welcoming us. Our room was very comfortable and had lovely views towards Leith. The bed was also first-rate. We enjoyed a delicious dinner in the hotel's restaurant, which has charming staff. Breakfast also was excellent.

We enjoyed our stay and although at the time I said I would recommend the hotel to others, on reflection I am not sure I would. It is a lovely hotel as it should be but when you are paying nearly £300. per night for bed and breakfast you expect everything to be of the highest standard. Looking after the environment shouldn't be an excuse for not being absolutely top-notch in every area, and the towels and robes in a five-star (or even a four-star) establishment should be gleaming white and fluffy - not worn and tired.

The very best thing about this hotel is its unpretentious, friendly staff. From the porter and reception staff onwards they never fell short of providing an excellent service, and looked after us very well. Pre-booked tickets for a visit to the Royal Yacht Britannia were waiting for us on arrival at the hotel.

Edinburgh was, of course, wonderful as always and The Tattoo was amazing..

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We arrived late and very stressed out after our flight had been delayed, and the sat nav in the hire car took us down a number of "bus and taxi only" streets in the middle of Edinburgh and a few parking misadventures. I am not the most patient / cheery of travellers at the best of times and was in a foul mood as I got to the front door. However once through the door, everything changed. We were met not by a reception desk and paperwork to fill out but by a butler and receptionist who told us to leave our bags where they say and took us into the comfortable lounge to take a seat. I was asked if we wanted them to park our car in the car park for us - oh, yes please! That alone was a huge relief. The room was not enormous but had a fantastically comfortable bed and a large bathroom with a freestanding bath that was exactly where I wanted to be. We were on the back of the hotel and the room was very quiet (we had the windows open all night and were undisturbed). As we were so late we didn't bother with a full dinner but ordered room service from an inventive menu that was much more interesting than the standard burger / club sandwich options. Staff were friendly and chatted to us without being obtrusive. Our butler offered to unpack for us but since we were only staying one night (and were going on to St Andrews so had packed for several nights) we didn't take him up on the offer. Next day staff were happy for us to leave both our bags and our car with them way past check out time while we wandered round Edinburgh. Checkout was quick and easy and our bags were taken to the car promptly. This is not an "all mod cons" hotel with mini bars and safes and big plasma TVs and air con (they are very up front about it - they want to differentiate themselves by their service). If you want faceless efficiency then you should go somewhere else. It has a slightly "lived-in" feel and everything is not brand spanking new. But it is extremely comfortable and the attitude of all the staff really took all the stress out of our trip. I loved it.

Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stayed in the Dundas room. At first, I thought it a bit tired, but warmed up to it. When you come from California and book a 5 Star property, you have certain expectations. You just have to realize that a 5 Star property in Europe is different than a 5 Star in the U.S. That said, I loved The Howard. The breakfast was the BEST I have EVER had. Honestly. Definitely the best part of The Howard Experience. The butlers were all VERY helpful and cheerful. I was upgraded from a single room to a double room and after seeing the single room, was then overjoyed at being in the Dundas. It was at the back of the property which was a little disconcerting, view of the parking lot, but that said, very quiet. The rooms facing the street were a bit noisy, on account of the cobblestones. So I was happy that I was at the back after learning that. The bathroom was very elegant and roomy. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The butlers were very attentive and helped me connect to the internet on the laptop that I brought with me. That service was free and very much appreciated. It is a wee bit away from the action but that was OK. I of course knew that going in so that is no fault of The Howard. I stayed 4 nights and could of easily stayed longer. The slippers are the best!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

The Howard is a lovely venue for afternoon tea. The staff are a delight and very attentive. The afternoon tea was so delicious with really nice selection of scones, sandwiches and some really yummy small cakes. Go hungry & enjoy! Easy walk down from Princess Street to new town area which has lots of gorgeous buildings.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
dayton, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

The Howard was quite posh, but very comfortable nevertheless. The staff was very helpful. Room service breakfasts were prompt and very well prepared, and the one dinner we had there was exceptional!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Teesside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

this hotel is all about the service..... I don't think we even used it to the full extent we could but it was still fabulous...... The evening meal was amazing and the butler was brilliant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Howard? Share your experiences!