“Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Howard

You added The Howard to your Saves list
The Howard
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Great King Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QH, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #17 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Otley
“Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at The Howard for 3nights of our honeymoon, we have stayed in some very exclusive hotels and have a very high standard but this hotel met all our needs and lots more!! We stayed in the Marchmont suite, a beautiful room, with a terrace at the front and a garden view at the back. It had two bathrooms, both with a shower and a bath (one of the baths is a jaccuzzi), big lounge with small dining area, tiny kitchen with good size fridge, bedroom with small dinning table which is perfect to sit there and have breakfast and the bed is hugh. We could not find anything to complain about and the bulters were fantastic. Its a 5mins walk into the centre. We just can't wait to go back!!

Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We were a group of 6 ladies visiting Edinburgh on a Celebration weekend prior to a forthcoming marriage. From arrival on the Friday morning to departure on the Sunday afternoon the Howard and its staff were truly amazing. I can not praise highly enough the team (especially Ross - who had answered numerous emails from me - whist I was trying to organise the 'do' ) It did not seem to matter what we requested or when we requested it - from wrapping presents, sorting flights, cars, resturants, trips and guide, to champagne lunches, balloons, nothing was too much trouble, not a raised eyebrow in sight. The Howard is a quiet, personal hotel - nothing corporate about it at all, just understated quality, exemplary service in a lovely very relaxing environment. Would now stay no where else in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Regrettably, only had time for a one-night stay at The Howard but enjoyed it from arrival in mid morning to deaprture the next day. Staff were caring and helpful from beginning to end and dinner in the restaurant was fine. The wine list was small but reasonable and the menu provided good choice..

Our room was the 'Abercromby' with a view over the front street and we recommend it thoroughly. Mod cons were where needed - in the bright marble modern bathroom - whereas the room itself had the charm of the Georgian buildings that make up the Hotel.

Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Met at the door by two butlers who welcomed us by name (!). Immediately taken to our room by one butler via the lift whilst the other butler managed our luggage. Check-in was done without us having to attend the reception desk. We had a second floor Superior room: 20' x 12' bedroom with 6' bed, antique furniture comprising bedside tables, bureau and chair, side tables, etc; separate dressing room with ample wardrobe and hanging space; 12' x 12' bathroom with centally located roll edge bath, two wash hand basins, separate shower enclosure, heated towel rail, dressing gowns, bath slippers and good supply of towels. All rooms had 12' ceilings with original ornate cornice features and good quality decor. No tea/coffee making facilities or mini bar in the room. However, complimentary tea and coffee was available via room service 24 hours a day. Didn't use the restaurant so can't comment but the menu looked excellent. Complimentary morning newspapers. Had breakfast served in our room both mornings - the service and quality was excellent. Accidentally ordered everything on the breakfast menu instead of particular options (sorry!) so the hotel simply delivered everything we had ordered. I am notoriously fussy about detail so would I stay there again? Definitely. Summary: faultless.

3 Thank FrankStaffordshire
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I was very excited about visiting Edinburgh during our travels through Europe. I was looking forward to a wonderful stay with my husband before we went to visit his family, kind of a pre-stress interlude. Leading up to our stay the accommodations manager was very helpful, we booked a classic car for a drive through the countryside. When we got to The Howard check-in was easy and fast, our butler was very helpful. In the room we started noticing a few things that had been overlooked. There was used floss under the sink in the bathroom, the potpourri was old and full of dust and fuzz, and where the carpet met the bathroom it was unfinished with huge threads fraying out of it. Went to turn on the bathroom lights, nothing happened. When we asked downstairs about that before we went out they said it would be fixed, no one had done anything about it when we returned from dinner.

The next morning we were supposed to be picked up for our half hour drive to the car rental place. The driver was over 10 minutes late, and then he got lost. Our half hour drive took 2 hours. I was left wondering why they hired a driver who didn't know where he was going. Thank goodness my husband was being patient for my sake, we were almost ready to give up when the driver finally found the right road. No one said a thing at the hotel when we told them, just "oh, really?.... hmm..." Seriously, I was kind of amazed at the lack of response.

That night we had dinner in their restaurant. I got food poisoning. I was sicker than I've been in a very long time, not since Mexico have I had food poisoning at this level. Really bad. The next afternoon my husband wanted lunch, I asked him to eat somewhere other than our room because even the thought of food was too much. He went downstairs and ordered something, they said they would bring it to him in the lounge and they sent it up to me instead. I had to find a robe and talk to a butler I hadn't met while he assured me my husband had sent the food up to me. I couldn't understand why he would do that, but I left the food covered in a corner and went back to bed. Finally my husband figured out that he wasn't getting lunch in the lounge and came upstairs after he found out the food was with me. The staff was nice and our main butler was concerned, but other than that the response we got again was "oh, really? oh, hmmm"

I ended up getting a few hours at the castle before we had to leave Edinburgh. We asked for a taxi to be called while we were finishing checking the room, they forgot.

I will go back to the city but I will never go back to the Howard. After staying at the Churchill in London I finally had my relaxing, luxurious vacation room. The Howard could have been great, lots of things to recommend it, but I feel like under the idea of a five star hotel there is still a lot of problems to work out. The staff is nice and try to be attentive, but they are oddly forgetful and confused at times (at least, that's the impression we were left with). Very bummed out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ErynB
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

The Howard is quite simply a beautiful hotel.

Everything was perfect at this hotel: the staff are all lovely - very knowledgeable, kind and helpful; the room was beautiful with a fantastic view, bed and bathroom; the atmosphere is great; and the breakfast was delicious. This hotel is a wonderful find - luxurious and comfortable but not pretentious.

We got engaged whilst staying at The Howard and everything was absolutely perfect - I cannot recommend this hotel enough. If you want a special place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank travellerjohnnyh
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

Booked this hotel as our wedding night hotel. Stayed in the trinity suite and it was fab - huge room, bed very comfortable, bath big enough for a rugby team and a nice little courtyard as well.

Service was excellent anbd breakfast was first class. Only changes I could make would be a bigger TV with more channels and more variety on the room service menu.

Overall, great hotel