“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Howard

You added The Howard to your Saves list
The Howard
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Great King Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QH, Scotland (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Gourmet Getaway
Ranked #12 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Knaresborough, England, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We recently stayed at The Howard Hotel for three nights, as a long weekend break. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were presented with a level of courtesy and service that is reminiscent of days gone by. Our Butler showed us to our room and explained the list of services on offer at the Howard, which ranged from the pressing of clothes and the cleaning of shoes to picking up shopping from the city and arranging private drinks receptions for the guests. Every morning the Butlers brought tea, coffee and juices to our room and then a little later returned and served breakfast in the privacy of our room. The rooms themselves were comfortable and roomy, with the bed being excellent. The entire hotel has an air of refinement that is often lost within the bigger 'chain' hotel groups. The entire experience was faultless with the Butler service being the icing on the cake!!

Room Tip: The only room I would avoid (although I didn't see inside the room) is the one in the basement o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Many thanks for this superb review and whilst it may be churlish to contradict someone who has showered such glowing praise on The Howard, I must address the issue of our "basement" rooms. We actually refer to these as out Terrace Suites and they are our finest offering. They are all generously proportioned with their own private entrances on to Great King Street (the epitome of discretion) and Marchmont, for example, has a huge Jacuzzi bath and views over our garden.
Leon Kiteley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the Howard for a single night on a recent trip to Edinburgh and had a first-class experience. The service was wonderful, the breakfast fantastic and my room was spacious and very comfortable. The only downside was that I was travelling alone and the Howard is really a hotel to be shared with someone else! The hotel is also superbly located for exploring Edinburgh and I will definitely be looking to stay there again next time I visit the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Another wonderful review for The Howard and my sincerest thanks to this guest - I do hope they will visit us again soon but, hopefully they will bring a friend to share the experience!.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I would class myself as a reader of reviews rather than a writer, but after a visit to The Howard I am compelled to write a brief review...

I booked afternoon tea at The Howard on the Satruday before Christmas as a little break from the madness of Christmas shopping. After some research I narrowed down my choice to the Balmoral or The Howard, I am very glad I went with the latter.

From the outset we had a fantastic experience, we received a warm greeting from the hotel staff and were shown to our table in the drawing room. I could not have picked a more relaxed and intimate room to have afternoon tea for two. The picture of a lovely afternoon tea table in the window on the hotel website is the table we were seated at.

Our butler served us with exquisite champagne that was perfect for the afternoon, we then had a delicous festive afternoon tea of turkey sandwiches, mince pies, scones etc, baked and prepared to perfection.

If anyone is unsure about giving this unique hotel a try I would definitely recommend it; its everything we could of asked for and more. Hopefully we will back soon in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
A fantastic critique of our Afternoon Tea offering and I am so glad we were able to exceed this guest's expectations. Please note that our Afternoon Tea Menu changes regularly so there is always something new to tempt you with..
CUMBRIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Just returned from The Howard for a birthday celebration. Staff were very good and the service was excellent. Room was a little tired and bathroom could benefit a refurb (mouldy sealant etc). Bed really comfy and rooms were clean and warm. If it wasnt for the butler then I wouldnt rave about this hotel for the price. Good location but the cobbled streets make the street facing rooms very noisy in the early hours of the morning with the traffic. Nothing was too much trouble and we will return if there is a room available at the rear of the hotel.

Room Tip: Street facing room suffers from traffic noise.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked this hotel in secret in order to propose to my girlfriend. The staff were so accommodating, even allowing me to check-in a case one day in advance. My clothes were pressed and candles lit for our arrival. Food was served to our room and was exceptional, with friendly and discreet service. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Lauriston suite was excellent
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We wanted a long weekend break in early December in Edinburgh New Town and picked the Howard. We'd certainly return. Service was friendly but not 'matey'; nicely judged. There was ice on the pavements but our room was toasty warm. Minor gliches were promptly sorted. One observation - attention to detail on the fabric and furnishings could be improved; cleanliness was fine but it stands a risk of being behind the curve with refurbishment issues..... That aside, reasonable value at this sector of the hotel market.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I've stayed at the Howard on a number of occasions now and continue to rave about the hotel to friends and family. On this occasion I've reduced my normal rating of 5/5 to 4/5 due to some very minor disappointments on my last visit, none of which really affected my enjoyment or comfort during my stay, but was a reduction in quality I had previously experienced. I stayed at the hotel for two nights. The first disappointment was that I was not offered the turn down service on either evening. Previously I had returned to my room after an evenings entertainment to find the room tidied and bed turned back. The second disappointment was on the second evening when on my way out to a restaurant for dinner I informed the receptionist that my coffee tray in room was ready for collection, only to find it still on the desk in my room when I returned some three hours later. Like I said nothing major but not the perfect service I had previously enjoyed. I learnt that Andrew the Head Butler was absent for the two nights that I stayed so hope that this is why there were these oversights by the Butler team. I will return at some point in the near future when I hope to find things have returned to the perfect service I have previously experienced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Howard? Share your experiences!