“A little disappointed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Howard

You added The Howard to your Saves list
The Howard
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Great King Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QH, Scotland (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Gourmet Getaway
Ranked #12 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
“A little disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here on several occasions and have always left completely satisfied, But most recent visit felt a little let down, didn't have the finishing touches which previously alway made our stay perfect.

Such as turn down service not offered , trays not cleared despite requesting this,
I felt it was it was a little less welcoming,
Certain aspects were still very good but lacked with the finishing touches which had previously made this perfect.

• Stayed December 2012
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Although a very positive review overall - I would like to extend my personal apologies to this guest for lack of turndown service as this is something we absolutely do provide unless having been advised otherwise. I will make no excuses as to why this did not happen - we simply got it wrong!
Leon Kiteley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Fortunately I read through the lines of the' odd' few bad reviews and gave this wonderful, unusual hotel a chance. We loved every aspect of it and will be returning frequently. It felt more like living in ones own 'upstairs downstairs' town house than a hotel. The staff/butlers were informal, but discreet and attentive to our every need. The food was excellent. The location is central, on a cobbled street, and very quiet.
If you want brash, music blaring, ultra modern decor and chips don't go there.
Amazingly good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am glad to read that this guest was persuaded to experience The Howard and I love the comparison to Upstairs/Downstairs, as this type of environment was exactly what the property was initially built for although I hope you will find the service much more relaxed these days!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend. We had a fantastic stay; it was truly luxurious and we didn't want to leave. We loved being able to have breakfast in our bedroom each morning and the bathroom was equipped with two sinks, a huge bath and a shower. The bed was extremely comfortable too. In terms of location it is very good because it's nice and peaceful but you are just a short walk from Princes street and Hanover St contains some lovely restaurants. I would definitely return if I were to visit Edinburgh in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks to this guest for her kind words and it is great to again read feedback on The Howard of this nature. Hope to see this couple again soon..
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed with my husband for a couple of nights. So convenient for the city yet in such a quiet position. Couldn't be better! Room very comfortable and super big bathroom. All staff friendly and helpful yet unobtrusive. We thought it was a great bargain. Did not have opportunity to sample food other than breakfast. Good choice but we did have one gripe (otherwise it would have been a 5* review) in that eggs on Eggs Benedict were hard while poached with bacon were slimy and unpleasant; also far too much vinegar used to cook the eggs. I smelt it as soon as the plates came into the room. But, other than that wee gripe, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Overall another fantastic review but I am sorry to read that we were denied that all important fifth star because of a problem with our eggs. Rest assured this was a very rare occurence and I have addressed this with Williamt, Head Chef, who passes on his personal apology and will ensure this does not happen again!
Fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have recently had the pleasure of spending a night at The Howard. This was really a business trip booked at short notice. Since I had reserved a single room I had expected a small pokey room with a dreary outlook. to the rear of the hotel..but not at all...I was shown to super triple windowed room with comfortable double bed and an excellent bathroom looking out into Great King Street. Breakfast was just excellent and all of the staff extremely pleasant and attentive. Sadly I was only there for one night but I hope to stay again and would recommend this hotel very highly. For the comfort and quality on offer it was also excellent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Another fantastic review for The Howard and I was thrilled to read how we managed to surpass this customer's expectations - rest assured - there are no "pokey" rooms at the hotel, and in times of low occupancy we will always try to upgrade our guests wherever possible on a complimentary basis.
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

A lovely couple of days in a lovely hotel booked last minute. Beautiful room full of character, large spacious bathroom and a quiet location but easy walking distance to the city. A fabulous breakfast, a rarity these days. We will be back. Pauine s.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
A great write up and one that perfectly encapsulates the "Howard Experience"! My thanks to this guest for their custom and for taking the time to share their experience.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in the Howard for my husbands 40th birthday, we stayed in a terraced suite, "The Marchmont" the room was amazing, 2 bathrooms one with a double Jacuzzi bath, a living room and very large bedroom with a very comfy bed, these rooms had private entrance direct to the suite so you didn’t have to walk through the hotels (also good for smokers as it has a small private outdoors area to sit)- all the staff were very friendly and helpful, we arrived rather late and very tired after long delays due to the A1 being closed and having a long diversion, we were welcomed by the reception staff, a butler came out and took our car while we went through and waited, he then took us to our room, we ordered room service, nice fresh food and reasonable price, alcohol a little on the expensive side but not ridiculous. The breakfast was lovely, the restaurant was a little too quiet so decided on the second night to have the pre paid evening meal in the room, a butler came up about half an hour before we were due to eat and set up the table, candles napkins the whole set up was excellent. The butler was a young man who was lovely and so friendly I wish I could name him as he was great, but sadly I didn’t get his name. The food was very good, all fresh cooked and very tasty, not a huge selection but enough for one nights choice.
Overall I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. If you like super modern then this hotel would not be for you, as its very traditionally decorated, very luxuriously decorated but very much a period hotel, but if you like warm, friendly, personal hotels then this would be a great choice.

Room Tip: Terraced rooms are beautiful, wonderful for a special treat