“Our Edinbugh Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princes Street, Edinburgh EH1 2AB, Scotland (Formerly Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Receive £50 credit !
Ranked #23 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
“Our Edinbugh Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Spent 5 nights at the Caledonian and in general found the experience very pleasant. The Concierge staff were fabulous, even to the point of arranging for our hire car to collected from the hotel, rather than us having to fight the traffic to return it to the Avis office. We were fortunate enough to be in The Robert Louis Stevenson suite. This gave us brilliant views of the castle and fireworks each night following the Tattoo. The suite was spacious and the bed comfortable. However we needed to keep the windows open to get some air into the rooms as they were very stuffy and hot. This made the rooms very noisy with the frequency of buses and other traffic. Turning on the "air conditioning" sounded like we had a jet engine in our room and offered no cooling so the traffic noise was preferable. As a female I found the lighting, particularly in the bathroom, dreadful. Made applying makeup impossible. Other mirrors in the suite were no better.
For a hotel of this standard and for the price being charged I would have expected more.

Room Tip: Rooms with views of the castle would be preferable, however they may be noisy due to high volume of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Anne F,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, an enjoyable experience was had, and I am very pleased to hear that you had a brilliant view of the castle and fireworks from the room in which you were allocated. On the other hand, I am sorry that you felt that the lighting was not up to standard, and this is certainly an issue that I will raise with my Maintenance Manager. With regards to the air conditioning unit, once again I would like to offer my apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the noise levels, this is by no means the level of standard we wish to offer as a Waldorf Astoria. Moreover, I would be extremely grateful if you would give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

1,044 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed for two nights and had three different rooms. The first room was on the first floor and we wanted to change it because the traffic was too loud. We got a new room higher up, still a queen deluxe with amazing castle view. Excellent, if the AC had been working... it was too late to fix it the first night so instead we got a f an. When we got back to the room the next day we noticed it still hadn't been fixed so we had to ask about it again. It was too late in the afternoon to fix it again, so we got yet another room! At least we got an upgrade and had a beautiful, huge king deluxe room with castle views, complimentary wine and chocolates, a walk in closet etc etc. Even if it was a bit stressful to change rooms all the time, the staff was super friendly and helpful and always tried to sort it out the very best way possible.

The free valet parking was wonderful, we just pulled up in front of the hotel, left the car and went inside to check in. The bags were delivered to our room.

Whenever we went outside there was a man ready to hand us an umbrella in case there would be rain. The concierge was more than happy to help out with activities, restaurants etc.

The building itself is beautiful and an icon in the city. Double (or even triple!) glazed windows would of course help reducing the traffic noise a lot, and the swimming pool wasn't the cosiest we've seen, but otherwise this place was just immaculate. For example, Salvatore Ferragamo products in the bathrooms and bath robes to fall in love with - so wonderful that we had to buy one! Would love to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up in the building to reduce the traffic noise. The windows are not very sound...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although disappointingly you had to move bedrooms on three occasions, I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy one of our king deluxe castle view rooms for the majority of your stay. I shall certainly pass on your praise to our wonderful Concierge department who assisted with the valet service , recommended numerous activities and restaurants, and even helped out with an umbrella should it have dared to rain in Edinburgh!
Moreover, I certainly agree that the Salvatore Ferragamo products in the bathrooms and bath robes are to die for, and the robes are a very popular purchase by many of our guests, including yourelf!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ in the future, and hopefully you do have the opportunity to come back.

Regards,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My daughter dragged me to the Fringe Festival and we were seeing some late performance so what better place to stay than here.
It was a pleasant place, service was attentive and clean. Our room was spacious and clean but to pay for the wifi was laughable but still we needed it.
Breakfast was good and enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Cosmicroy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular your spacious room and amenities but also the entertaining Fringe Festival. I am sorry to hear you were not aware of the in- room WIFI charges however we offer complimentary WIFI in our public areas and outlets.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ on your next visit to Edinburgh!

McGregor, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

One of the best hotels I've been in this year! Perfect location for walking everywhere. Wonderful, caring staff who make you feel valued and important. Great decor and rooms and amenities. We had a 2-room suite with great views. There's a rare swimming pool and spa, nice public areas, great room service menu and caters to KIDS too. (kids menu, kids welcome gift, etc). So hard to find a family-friendly hotel in Europe, but the Caldonian exceeded our expectations. And the staff really went above and beyond to show they valued our business and wanted us to leave happy!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear CaseyJDESIGN,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased you had a brilliant stay with us and found the hotel within easy walking distance, to many of the city’s well known attractions. It is great to hear of your thoughts on our staff members exceeding your expectations, I am glad they were able to ensure you had a memorable stay including the children! I am happy to hear you appreciated the hotels facilities including room service and our award winning Guerlain Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the not too distant future.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very difficult finding the right road to take to get to the hotel. Don't try to approach from the east. Once there, however, we were met at the door by the concierge who took our car and parked it for us. The people on the concierge desk were all very friendly and helpful. The reception desk was polite and attentive but although they state check in after 3-00 pm our room wasn't ready until after 4-30 pm. Luckily we were able to put our luggage in the next room where our friends were staying so it wasn't too much of an imposition. Eventually, we were able to take possession of our room which had an incredible view of the castle. Everything was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The window was difficult to open and would only raise about three inches. The room was very warm which during the night was very uncomfortable. The bathroom fittings although good quality did nothing to promote a good shower and it took ages to fill the bath. The bathroom accessories were very difficult to read and I had used the conditioner as a body lotion before I realised my mistake - another feeble shower later I managed to get it right but the contents of the bottles were not the easiest to use as the bottles could not be squeezed. The tea and coffee making facilities were very frugal although I dare say we could have asked for more. The pool was nice and there was a shallow pool for children. Everything was very clean but the fittings on the internal spa stairs was rusting and in need of attention. The breakfast was excellent but the ambiance in the breakfast room was somewhat frantic with much rushing around. Although very friendly, not as smooth running as one might have expected. In fact the whole hotel seemed to be on red alert which does nothing to sooth the nerves. Nevertheless we had a very good couple of days and the situation of the hotel was excellent for getting to places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the castle. You may be on the 4th floor but the lift is excellent so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Alvena-Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am sorry you had difficulty finding the hotel; it is certainly not the easiest at the moment with the ongoing tram works in the city. Fingers crossed these will be completed soon. I would also like to apologise after hearing that your bedroom was not ready by 3pm, although I am delighted that your impression changed with the incredible view of the castle. Moreover, you also mention the writing on our Salvatore Ferragamo luxury bathroom products, this is most unusual, and I have never heard this before. Never-the-less, I certainly appreciate your feedback. Overall, you have departed with mixed feelings of the hotel, and I do hope that the negative issues do not deter you from returning back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Should you indeed choose to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com, and I shall ensure that you are well looked after.

White Rock, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We would not normally shell out L500 for a room, but when last minute.com came up with a room for L152, we jumped on it. Great staff, great service, immaculate room, all the amenities. The front desk staff we tripping over themselves to help us with festival reseat ions, travel directions, and the location of a laundromat. Breakfast in the restaurant was so-so, but other than that 5 stars!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jrheineman,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you very much enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to explore the facilities, the hotel has to offer. We certainly take pride in our standards and the service we deliver. It is fantastic to hear your positive thoughts on our Front Desk and Concierge staff. Thank you for the comment regarding our breakfast in the restaurant I will pass this on to the breakfast manager who always values our guest’s feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.

Stirling, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here for our silver wedding as we had done 25 years on our wedding night. It was ok. The rooms were small, the bed was very hard and teh bathroom had a starnge odour. Having said that we were upgraded to a castle view suite and did enjoy a cocktail in Peacock alley and the breakfast was good.

We used the pool and sauna which were functional rather than luxurious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear LizzyW,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am happy to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us especially as we complimentary upgraded you to one of our castle view suites, I am sure you will agree these suites have fantastic views. However I am disappointed to learn, you found the bed very hard and the bathroom having a strange odour. This is most unusual, I am sure you will agree by reading many trip advisor reviews that guests find our beds very comfortable. With regards to the bathroom having a "strange odour" we would have been able to investigate the problem, if it had been brought to our attention during your stay. I am pleased you were able to enjoy cocktails in the relaxing 'Peacock Alley' and should you wish to return to The Caledonian in the near future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. My Email address is chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 'The Caley!'

Chris Logan

Been to Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian? Share your experiences!