Very difficult finding the right road to take to get to the hotel. Don't try to approach from the east. Once there, however, we were met at the door by the concierge who took our car and parked it for us. The people on the concierge desk were all very friendly and helpful. The reception desk was polite and attentive but although they state check in after 3-00 pm our room wasn't ready until after 4-30 pm. Luckily we were able to put our luggage in the next room where our friends were staying so it wasn't too much of an imposition. Eventually, we were able to take possession of our room which had an incredible view of the castle. Everything was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The window was difficult to open and would only raise about three inches. The room was very warm which during the night was very uncomfortable. The bathroom fittings although good quality did nothing to promote a good shower and it took ages to fill the bath. The bathroom accessories were very difficult to read and I had used the conditioner as a body lotion before I realised my mistake - another feeble shower later I managed to get it right but the contents of the bottles were not the easiest to use as the bottles could not be squeezed. The tea and coffee making facilities were very frugal although I dare say we could have asked for more. The pool was nice and there was a shallow pool for children. Everything was very clean but the fittings on the internal spa stairs was rusting and in need of attention. The breakfast was excellent but the ambiance in the breakfast room was somewhat frantic with much rushing around. Although very friendly, not as smooth running as one might have expected. In fact the whole hotel seemed to be on red alert which does nothing to sooth the nerves. Nevertheless we had a very good couple of days and the situation of the hotel was excellent for getting to places.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walforf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.