“Over-priced average hotel - with no wifi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

You added Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princes Street, Edinburgh EH1 2AB, Scotland (Formerly Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh Hotel)   |
Special Offer
30% off 3 night stays
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cape Town, South Africa
“Over-priced average hotel - with no wifi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on 11th August. Firstly, the location is excellent and the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. But everything from there on in was very average for us. The room was quiet, but nothing exceptional and our TV was in a very strange position. Our biggest frustration though was that there is no wifi in the room. You have to pay £15 to get access, which, considering the exhorbitant cost of the room was quite frankly an insult. They claim there is "free" wifi in the Peacock Alley bar, but we could not get it to work. We travel extensively around the world and found this hotel incredibly over-priced for what you get.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Lynnie07,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you thought the location of the hotel is convenient, to visit many of Edinburgh’s famous attractions within the city. It is fantastic our staff members provided you with attentive and friendly service throughout your stay. I am disappointed to learn of your frustration regarding the WIFI in the hotel. We certainly offer complimentary WIFI in the public areas and outlets in the hotel. The staff would have been more than happy to assist you with the log on. Although overall you had a positive stay with us, I find it unfortunate you think the hotel is incredibly over priced for the service and amenities the hotel has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I and our 15 year old daughter recently stayed at the Caledonian. We were there for four nights from July 26th - July 30th. From the moment we arrived till the moment we left it was wonderful. The hotel is beautiful. Upon arrival we were given a free upgrade to a castle view room #206 on the second floor. This kicked our vacation off to a wonderful start. The view was incredible.

The room was very spacious, and well appointed. Each night we had a little note from our housekeeper Perla. She was fantastic! The room was spotless upon arrival and throughout the stay. It's always nice to see people take pride in their work.

The location can't be beat. It's short walk to the castle, grassmarket, or royal mile. We had a car but only used it when we went out of the city.

Everyone we encountered from the valet to check-in was very hospitable. I can't say enough nice thing about he Caledonian and can't wait until we can return again.

Thanks for a great stay!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear WDWDAVEM,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; I am pleased we were able to upgrade you to one of our spacious castle view rooms with fantastic views. I am glad Perla from the housekeeping team was able to add a personal touch to your stay and ensure it was a memorable one, I will personally pass on your gratitude to the housekeeping team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 'The Caley' in the near future.

Kingston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Caledonian is a BEAUTIFUL hotel to look at and the customer service really was top notch. The rooms were spacious and the bathroom/shower very large for a hotel in the U.K. We actually stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip (total of 4 nights). However, there were 2 things which kept me from rating is as perfect (excellent) and because these 2 things are REALLY important to me, they kept me from giving this a 5. However, having said that, if these things are not as important to you, then please ignore my next 2 somewhat negative comments. #1. The room was HOT and could not be temperature controlled down cool enough, the thermostat said it could be set down to 17C (62F), but the room was just plain old hot and stuffy and required us to open the windows, which created a nice breeze, but also opened up the city sounds to us. #2. The bed was HARD, now I realize bed firmness is a preference and apparently my husband and I thought we always liked a medium firm mattress, but this was firm firm, much more firm than any Hilton Hotel I have stayed at (which are numerous as I am an HHONORS member and Hiltons are always my #1 choice). Having said that, again, my negatives might very well just be my preference, so take them with a grain of salt. The staff and amenities definitely shine here at The Caledonian and I would stay there again, but with lower expectations regarding room temp. and bed comfort. The location can't be beat!

Dear Bridgton,

Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear your positive thoughts on ‘The Caley’ and particularly the personal and attentive service you received, as well as the characteristic building works throughout the hotel. On the other hand, I would like to apologise you found your bedroom too hot, I am certainly surprised it still seemed hot even though the thermostat was set to 17C. I will ensure I pass on your comments to the maintenance team to follow up with your feedback. I am also sorry you found the mattress unusually firm, I am shocked as am always made aware of how comfortable our beds and bedding are, although these are in your opinion your preferences we always value our guest feedback especially from our valued HHonors guests.

We hope we are able to welcome you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a five star experience that I experienced by chance. Due to apparent overbooking near the airport I ended up here. This is a beautiful and elegant property with that old world look. The staff was really quite accommodating and attentive to needs. All of the amenities you would expect from a property of this caliber were there but for included wifi, a significant oversight given the price point. I took advantage of the bar and enjoyed the atmosphere tremendously. The single malt selection was understandably comprehensive. Even so, I opted for a Henricks and tonic which was one of the more masterfully crafted libations I have seen in some time right down to the fresh sliced cucumber. The view of Edinburgh Castle from this location at he base was breath taking.

Travel to the airport was probably 16 minutes or so which made it a viable option on its own in that regard.

The crowd was primarily English speaking and I had the pleasure of visiting with locals as well as several Americans. All seemed pleased with the property as was I.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view room for an upgrade. It is really a breathntaking view.
Dear SLTX83,

Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your unexpected stay with us! It is great you experienced the relaxing bar atmosphere and an extra special gin and tonic! We offer complimentary Wifi in our public areas, food and beverage outlets; Wifi is chargeable in the bedrooms. It is fantastic you were able to view the wonderful castle from just outside the hotel entrance.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.

Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First of all, this building which houses this hotel is magnificent! What a brilliant idea to use an historic rail station as a hotel. The interior is plush and beautiful, but not "museum" do not touch, quality. We had a double room with excellent views of the castle and the linens, towels, and bathroom facilities were fabulous! The spa looked wonderful, but was booked that day I wanted an appointment. However, the pool and sauna were available and very nice. I would say that the towels in that facility did need some attention. The staff were very kind and helpful and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

Dear Mis_Adventurous,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and you were able to appreciate the historical, listed building we are proud to have as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am happy you were able to experience our luxurious bedrooms and bathroom amenities. Our award winning spa is a highly popular amongst our guests especially after a long day sightseeing in the city. I would certainly recommend to book treatments in the future to avoid disappointment. I will definitely pass on your feedback regarding the towels to our Guerlain Spa Director, who will ensure the matter is followed up and resolved. I am glad you found the staff members friendly and happy to help; I am pleased they were able to ensure your stay at The Caley was a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Too expensive and the quality of the rooms could be better. Beds are not comfortable, towels have spots on them, the fridge has movement sensors in it - small but annoying details. Overall our stay there was memorable. I probably would book it again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Hola_Miola,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Since your stay with us in September 2012, the hotel has undergone a major refurbishment; I anticipate it has largely improved and will exceed your expectations on your future visit to the hotel. I very much hope you give us the opportunity in the future to ensure your stay was more memorable than the last.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 'The Caley' in the near future.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Caledonian for two nights. Our room was of the highest standard with a marvellous view of the Castle. All the staff were very attentive. We only ate breakfast in the hotel. There was a very wide choice which was served “buffet style”. In some hotels the hot buffet can be cold and dried up. However, here was it was cooked in small batches and was fresh and hot.

The hotel is conveniently located at the end of Princes Street. There is a taxi rank just outside the hotel and bus stops are close by. If we went back to Edinburgh, the “Caley” would be our first choice.

Dear Alan_and_Susan,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us, in particular the fantastic view of the castle from your room and our buffet breakfast. Of course we certainly take pride in our breakfast buffet and you can often find our friendly breakfast chef, 'Robert', interacting with our guests whilst replacing the buffet with fresh items. You are correct in stating the hotel is centrally located and has a taxi rank outside the entrance, a great benefit to many of our international and national guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 'The Caley' on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Chris Logan

Been to Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian? Share your experiences!