“Lovely hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princes Street, Edinburgh EH1 2AB, Scotland (Formerly Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh Hotel)   |
Special Offer
30% off 3 night stays
Ranked #22 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here earlier in the week with my husband and two children for an overnight visit to Edinburgh. Lovely hotel had twin double bedroom, which was huge, and had the most wonderful view from our window of the castle. Very central for shops, castle resturants etc.. Clean, very comfortable and friendly staff. Water, juice and apples in room when we arrived, and lovely breakfast with good service. They allowed my son to take the little 'mascot' toy home with him that had been placed in the room which was a nice touch. Really nice place to stay in a lovely city.

Room Tip: Wonderful view of castle in some rooms, which looks great at night when lit up. Our room was huge!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It delights me to hear of the enjoyable experience over the weekend with your family, and I hope that your son remembers the 'Caley' for years to come with his new found mascot!

Moreover, I do hope that you are able to return to the hotel again in the near future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
speyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. I was surprised by my room. Very nicely furnished, comfortable and lovely extra amenities...even umbrella.Tasteful. Bathroom was lovely with double shower and Feragamo toiletries.Very nicely done. Simple things wrong like the TV cant be watched from the bed...one armchair...so how does the other person watch?
Incredible bath robes...! The best I have come across and comfortable bed.
The PEACOCK lounge well worth a visit. We had drinks there rather than the bar...very very stylish. Afternoon tea with cakes looked good if you like that sort of thing.
Breakfast was good and the staff ultra efficient and helpful. All friendly.
We didnt eat there for dinner as my husband prefers the more informal larger portions of the Sheraton Grand round the corner where we usually stay.
The spa was the only disappointment. The reception area is stunning and you have high hopes....but in reality its tiny...small pool upstairs with small hot tub. The pool was very cold and the hot tub wasnt warm at all. So noone was using it.nowhere to put your towel or robe....no hooks and only a couple of plastic chairs which were being used. You go down a flight of steps to a small steam room and sauna. Large hotel with small facilities...We didnt bother to return. All in all an enjoyable weekend but we will return to the Sheraton as the sports facilities there are amazing.

Room Tip: Ask not to be near lifts. They are very noisy!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely thankful to read your constructive feedback, and overall all I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience, including the furnishings and bed within the bedroom allocated. I also agree that the Salvatore Feragamo bathroom amenities, along with the comfort of our bathrobes are a luxurious touch and I am happy that you appreciate this. On the other hand, unfortunately you were not impressed by the standard of our newly refurbished Guerlain Spa. Obviously I am disappointed by this aspect, especially after the level of improvement which has been made throughout the Spa facility since the refurbishment. Although there is nothing we could do with regards to the size of the health club as mentioned, due to the age and shape of the building; I do feel that the level of service received from the Guerlain team has significantly increased since the in-depth training received prior to the club re-opening. Never-the-less, I understand your frustration with the temperature issue mentioned in the swimming pool and Jacuzzi areas, and we have since contacted the relevant company to handle this matter immediately.

Once again, I would like to thank you for all of the points raised in your review, and I do hope that certain issues do not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future. Should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed the weekend to watch Micky Flanagan the hotel is very central great views of castle
We had issue with our room due to no warm water but in the end very well handled by management

Bar and restaurant very nice and breakfast good standard

Overall very nice

• Stayed April 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am very happy indeed that we were able to assist in making your weekend away successful, including your dining experience.

I also hope that you enjoyed the show and that you are able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed overnight at the above hotel. The entrance hall has the most spectacular modern chandelier. It is a work of art. The place is newly refurbished and is done as you would expect to the highest of standards.We had afternoon tea in the Peacock Room and it was lovely. Both the room and the tea. We had to be reassigned a room as the one we originally had was miles from the lift and my husband found it too far. This is a seriously large hotel and if you have mobility problems I suggest you inform the reception on booking. Our new room was an upgrade and was a nice size. The bathroom was beautiful and it is the only hotel I have stayed in this year that had a decent make-up mirror. The decor was modern and to my taste with Timorous Beastie wall friezes and contemporary colour combinations. The staff are well trained and accommodating. My one gripe is the smell and when I mentioned this to one of the managers he suggested it was because we were near the food preparation rooms. If that was the case , you would not want to eat there. I think they have a sewage problem and the staff have been told to flannel a story to cover it. The smell was really bad on floor E and also in part of the ground floor sitting area. This apart it is a very special place.

Room Tip: We were relocated to Room 157 which was quiet . Obviously in a Hotel this size it has to be a buffet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although you have departed feeling somewhat satisfied with your overall experience I am concerned with regards to your feedback on a bad odour smell from within the hotel. I can assure you that I have shared your comments with the relevant departments, and this shall be investigated as a matter of urgency.

On the other hand, I appreciate your positive opinions on the new refusbishments, and it appears that our wonderful chandelier and Peacock Alley area were particularly eye catching for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed in this hotel 16 and 17 of March for my 60th birthday.
It was a present from my daughter and son in law for my birthday to stay in the Caledonian.
One of the best in Edinburgh with 5 stars We used the Valet parking, and our bags were taken into the hotel.We were in room 516 and the views out of our window were wonderful with clear views of the Castle and other parts of Edinburgh.After one hour in the room we heard knocking on the door,when I open the door to my surprise my daughter and son in law where standing there with a bottle of champagne, making my birthday even more special, having them both with us and it was a big surprise as they came from New York for 3 days to be with me.We had dinner in the restaurant in first floor,food and wine was great, excellent service,nice view from the window at night.Then to the bar till 3am drinking champagne.The brasserie serves a huge and brilliant breakfast till 10.30am. The bathroom was great but cold as it only has a small heater.The feel of the hotel was up-market, and welcoming. The whole stay felt very special and was perfect for the treat weekend.Many thanks Donna and Michael for the surprise and the lovely gifts and dining out and the pub till till 2am and the special birthday lunch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Despite living in Edinburgh, I had the occasion to stay here recently. Familiar with the historic reputation, I was completely blown away by the recent renovations and the first class service.

In short, this hotel is emblematic of the style, comfort and hospitality and will provide a first class welcome to all who stay - both local and visitor alike.

Thank you for making my stay so memorable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am ecstatic to read that you were blown away by the renovation works following your stay in Edinburgh in February. Although you are from Edinburgh, this is certainly the impression that we are aiming to give to attract locals to the hotel.

Furthermore, I appreciate your kind feedback, and hopefully you are able to return to the 'Caley' in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was looking for a smart and luxurious hotel for a weekend break treat that my partner and I were doing for our mothers in Edinburgh. We chose The Caledonian as it was a Waldorf Astoria and so we knew it would be smart- and it looked lush and traditional. It was a great choice.

We found out from the very welcoming Front Office Manager (Christina Keuter) all about the history of the hotel over the days we stayed here. In fact all the staff were very welcoming and happy to talk about the hotel and the city, right from the Doormen, through to check-in, in the Spa, restaurant and especially Christina and her assistant. They would always greet us, chat and make suggestions every time we saw them over the 3 days we stayed here.

The hotel is well over 100 years old and used to be the station and hotel for The Caledonian Railway. The area that used to be the platform is now a massive covered space that acts as the lounge. It is a dramatic room that is stylish and great to sit in for afternoon tea or drinks in the evening after dinner. The brasserie serves a huge and brilliant breakfast. The spa and gym is a bit of a trek to get to, but quirky and well equipped once you find it in the basement. The pool was small and a bit too full of kids during our stay for my liking.

The hotel is huge with very long passages and a huge grand staircase to all floors. The rooms are all different and unusual. So it is unlike most hotels these days with generic and standard rooms.

We had booked 2 rooms with views of the Castle. They both had amazing views and the rooms were quiet, even though on a busy part of Princes Street. The rooms are not huge, but have a distinctive up-market feel to them with grey walls and gold thistle wallpaper. The ceilings were really high. The bathrooms was great with a massive bath.

The hotel is towards the bottom of one side of Princes Street and was easy to walk into the main part of the street and surrounding areas with shops and restaurants. There is a goof bus service right outside and easy to catch buses out to Leith to see the Royal Yacht Britannia, and nearby is also the stop for the hop-on hop-off bus tours.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure for Christina and I to look after you, and we appreciate your positive feedback. Moreover, I am also delighted that you were able use the majority of our facilities, including our wonderful Guerlain Spa, and hopefully we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Been to Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian? Share your experiences!