“Very detailed but could do with expanding it's range of authors” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Writers' Museum

Writers' Museum
Lady Stair's Close | Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2PA, Scotland (Old Town)
0131 529 4901
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #107 of 460 things to do in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Writers' Museum in the 17th century Lady Stair's House, is dedicated to the lives and work of Scotland's great literary figures, particularly Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson. The rich collection of manuscripts, first editions and portraits is complemented by a series of personal exhibits that include Burns' writing desk and the Ballantyne Press on which Scott's Waverley novels were originally published.
Oxford, United Kingdom
114 attraction reviews
“Very detailed but could do with expanding it's range of authors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I'm a fan of small museums and I came to see the writer's museum as part of a trip to Edinburgh and while I enjoyed the trip it wasn't as I expected it to be....

The museum is focused on three main authors that impacted Scotland; Robert Louis Steveson, Sir Walter Scott, and Robert Burns. The museum is divided over several small floors in a fantastic old manor house and it has such a distinct theme due to it's location and facilities it is worth seeing for that along.

My two major disappointments was this; I was expecting a museum focused on the history of writing in Scotland and giving examples of other Scottish authors and their works. I think this museum should perhaps consider renaming itself the Famous Writer's Musuem. Being nonscottish I didn't know much about the three authors that the museum focused on so perhaps it went over my head slightly; I certainly learned a bit about these three though when I was there so it shouldn't deter you from coming to see them too.

The second part was I felt the collections need a bit of moving around and updating; at times I didn't feel engaged enough to stand and take interest in what was on display, although that may have again been the subject matter of the exhibitions. These are three prime examples of Scottish writing and for an Englishman such as me looking to see Scottish writing as a whole I think that is where my disappointment was.

If the museum could even just expand their collections slightly to include other examples of Scottish writing, I think it would attract not just people interested particularly in Scottish writing but other casual visitors as well. As it stands this is a good example a niche museum and being just off the Royal Mile it should be very easy to include this museum in your visit of Edinburgh city centre.

Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
183 attraction reviews
“I have to go to bed by day......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I only visited the Robert Louis Stevenson section of the museum. It was interesting and well laid out. The price was right for a quick visit.

Morpeth, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“A Hidden Gem ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a fabulous little museum tucked away behind Lawnmarket up near the Royal mile. Free to enter it has lovely exhibits of Scotlands finest writers and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Find it through the passage near Gladstones Land.

Fleming Island, Florida
21 attraction reviews
“Interesting Sight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I found this by accident and really enjoyed my visit. Robert Lewis Stevenson was one of my favorite authors when I was a child so I really enjoyed his section of the exhibit. One of the best things about the museum is the building which houses the exhibit. The free admission is a real plus!

Valladolid, España
“Very nice place and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

It is a very nice small museum, where you can see different objects belonging to R.L. Stevenson, Robert Burns and Walter Scott. I visited it with my family and we had a very good time. There was a man downstairs who was very kind and helpful, I really liked the way he explained us several things about R.L. Stevenson's life in such a familiar and understandable tone. That was the thing I liked the most.
Taking pictures is not allowed and the visit does not take more than 30 minutes.
It is worth to have a look inside, 100% advisable!

Visited March 2013