“Thaipas” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Tapas
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Port of Siam offers Thai Fusion by the beautiful Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh. Chef Phaitoon and his team blend authentic Thai spices with locally sourced fresh fish and seafood from Newhaven Fish Market, merging traditional Thai cuisines with modern Scottish cooking to create our delicious seafood dishes, and quality Scottish farm produce to re-create our traditional and contemporary dishes. Port of Siam is currently open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday. We are open for a lunch service on Thursdays and Fridays from noon till 2pm and open from noon till 10:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays. We look forward to seeing you.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Thaipas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Was recommended this place by a friend so we headed down for my birthday.

From the minute we stepped in, the service was really friendly, efficient and the restaurant had a great relaxed ambience.

We were there on a Tuesday so had to try the Tapas dishes. Best (and biggest) oysters I have ever tasted, the satay and skewers were superb. Great dumplings and soup and beautiful prawn & veg tempura.

Also had a couple of bottles of a cracking Sauvignon Blanc with it.

However, surprisingly the desserts were the highlight (I'm not really a dessert person). We shared 3 - the speciality thai ice cream, a Thai Brulee, and a Lemongrass Panacotta. All 3 were in my top 5 desserts of all time. Absolutely beautiful, delicate flavours and executed perfectly.

At my other half's request, the staff also took the trouble to cut the lights and take out a birthday cake and sang Happy Birthday. Highly embarrassing but great touch.

Can not recommend highly enough, and can't wait to go back and try more of their full menu. If the tapas is anything to go by, it will be an absolute treat!

Well worth the journey out of town to try it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Great wee gem!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely food service and just over all nice wee place. Only wee thing I would say portions are a little bit small. But still lovely.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
East Lothian
“Enjoyable birthday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Came here for my birthday lunch and wasn't disappointed. Lovely flavours, freshly cooked and very reasonable. Mussel starter was especially delicious. Although it was very quiet the phone was going constantly with people booking up for evening meals - essential as it is so tiny. Will definitely be back here again very soon

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh
“fabulous food... place can be a little random”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have visited this restaurant several times now with colleagues, friends and family for lunches. We don't go frequently and lunch times are very quiet - we are often the only ones in there!

The decor is understated and modern - a lovely place to sit. Food is generally fantastic; Thai beef skewers with a wonderfully piquant spicy dip; fabulous penang curries; steamed chicken to die for; dumplings that are so scrummy... nothing, food wise, has ever disappointed.

However, it can be a bit random... a few months ago I was meeting aThai friend for lunch and as she is a great cook, and has had to listen to me waxing lyrical about how fantastic this restaurant is for a very long time, we decided to head to the Port of Siam.

I called to check that the restaurant was open that day - it is sometimes closed at lunch times - and we popped along at 12.30pm, as agreed, only to be told by the rather sheepish waitress that the chef had popped out but was due back any minute. We ordered some drinks and had a good old blether. By 1pm the waitress still didn't know when the chef was coming back and offered to cook lunch for us. Thankfully she did a pretty good job considering, however, my chum was less than impressed at having the waitress cook for us.

Whilst we were there a chap came in and sat at the central "bar" area and spread his papers out and started making phone calls. It was a little odd as we were trying to have a quiet lunch and he was not waht you would call unobtrusive. We finished our lunch and headed off without seeing hide nor hair of the chef... but the very nice waitress deserves a pay rise, and a promotion!

We have been back since - and I'm glad to say the chef was in the building and the businessman chap was not! the food was (again!) delightful and the lunch menu is fantastic value.

We're hoping to go back soon and would still recommend this unreservedly. Having been to pretty much every Thai restaurant in Edinburgh, we like this one the best. It is not the most expensive but the food, to me, seems to be way ahead of the rest.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've visited 5 times now, and each time was a real treat. They haven't got many covers, and the kitchen looks tiny! Having said that, the food is bold and flavoursome. Whenever I go I always ask for them not to hold back on the spices, and gosh do they deliver on flavour. It's not 100% consistent every time, but on the whole the food is very well done. Highlights include the jumbo prawns (heavenly) and the crispy sea bass. The prices are reasonable, and the portions, whilst not overly generous, are just adequate. For gluttons like me, I find them just a tad small. Ah, and I would suggest going on one of their 'tapas' nights. Book to avoid disappointment as they can get quite busy at times.

• Visited October 2012