“Very good, Very tasty!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Balmacara, null, United Kingdom
“Very good, Very tasty!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was at Thai Lemongrass as a final meal with my brother his fiancee in mid December. I am leaving for Thailand soon and as such they wanted to treat me to some nice Thai food.
It did not disappoint. As soon as we came in we were warmly welcomed, and sat at our table. Slight downside was that I was almost directly opposite the door and so had a draught blowing on my back. Oh well, these things happen. We were promptly asked about drinks and given a menu. It is a very extensive menu, offering something for everything. I was very impressed with the range. We took a long time to decide, during which period I noticed several staff members hovering to take our order. Felt a little pressured but not much.
I eventually settled on Pork Neck as a starter, with my brother having and his partner having soup. We had a bit of a delay on the soup, but it was worth it. The pork was very tender and the Sweet Chilli dip was amazing! Not too overpowering and nicely balanced!
Next was the main course. For myself, Sirloin strips tossed in lime and coriander. My brother had Monkfish and his fiancee had curry, all with noodles.
WOW! What a combonation of flavours in the steak! The very first thing you get is a lovely sweet flavour coming through, followed closely by the Bang of the chilli! kept me coming back for more right till the end! From what the others were saying, theirs was just as good! I was very impressed!
Next however, things took a turn for the worse and service went a bit downhill. One of the gentlemen serving us obviously didn't speak much/very good english. Once our main plates were cleared we then sat for about 10 minutes until we had to ask for the dessert menu. It was not offered which i found a bit surprising. When the dessert came, I ordered Mango sticky Rice, my brother had Coconut ice cream and his fiancee had sorbet. My rice was sticky. Very sticky. So sticky I needed to ask for a knife to cut through it because the spoon wouldn't work. Fortunatly I liked it that sticky, however I think many others would not.
When we ordered coffee, we ordered three liquor coffees. Amaretto, Drambuie and Glayva. However the gentleman who was unsure on English had to check three times about the drinks, as to whither we wanted the liquor IN the coffee, if we wanted coffee as well or if they were straight drinks. When they eventually arrived, we had a Glayva coffee, Amaretto coffee and a Sambuca coffee! Not sure where that came from. However we couldn't be bothered trying to make ourselves understood so we just took it.
A disappointing end to an otherwise great meal! However the main reason for Tripadvisor is to basically ask one question. Would I go Back? Answer? Most certainly! I would recommend it to anyone!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
“Questionable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I recently went to Thai Lemongrass for a friend's birthday and the restaurant was previously unknown to all of us. The staff seemed nonplussed when we arrived despite having a booking, we were seated and while I was in a booth, people on seats complained that they weren't very comfortable. I ordered deep fried crab fishcakes for my starter and while tasty, they were incredibly rubbery and chewy. I had higher expectations for my main course, a standard chicken red thai curry which I thought couldn't go badly. Alas, I was wrong, the sauce was lacking in spice and its principal ingredient seemed to be salt. The meat was nondescript and barely tasted like, or had the texture of chicken. Worst of all, I felt awful the next morning and had to rush to the toilet. I suspected the meal was at fault, a friend I was eating with who had the same main course had similar bowel problems, suffice to say, we won't be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Very tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Very tasty duck curry. The atmosphere was pleasantly bustling, and the service quick and polite if occasionally hampered by the fact that some of the staff's English wasn't that good.

“Disappointing overall experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We went to Thai Lemongrass for a friend's birthday last night, with no one in the party knowing anything about the restaurant. Unfortunately, many in the group were sorely disappointed with a number of aspects of the experience. We arrived on time for our booking but were waiting for a couple of the party who were a bit late, we felt very hurried by the staff who seemed to insist we ordered without waiting for them. They then struggled to understand our requests for tap water, refusing to give us jugs for the table when we asked, having found out their frankly ridiculous charge of £6 for corkage of a single bottle of beer I had brought. We then ordered our food, which arrived in not too much time, and I was looking forward to getting stuck into a good meal. Unfortunately, the Thai red curry with pork I had left much to be desired; it was extremely salty without much other flavour and the rice was quite dry, though not so much as to be inedible. On other people's food, the reaction was mixed; some really enjoyed their meal but others complained of similar things to me, two of my flatmates (who had both had chicken red curry) even experiencing some quite severe ill effects the next day, which would have been hilarious if I didn't have to share a toilet with them. The quality of the food was not good enough, the group in general felt, to justify the quite steep price tag compared to many other comparable restaurants in the area. We won't be going back!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best thai food in edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here on many occasions and have always had an excellent experience. Their lunch menu is great value at 8.95 and there are many different options than your bog standard thai dishes. My favorite is the deep fryed sea bass with green mango salad iwish they would bring back the vegetable and fruit display pieces as they were a touch of class

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere