“Great food. Excellent service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Atholl at The Howard

The Atholl at The Howard
34 Great King Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QH, Scotland (New Town)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #578 of 1,982 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Set in a luxuriant Georgian townhouse, The Howard Hotel is among Edinburgh's most beautiful. Its restaurant, the classically designed Atholl, gives the visitor the impression of stepping back in to a Jane Austen novel. Original features, from decorative mouldings to sash windows are simply decorated in white while a marble fireplace gives a charming sense of history. A peaceful, relaxing atmosphere sets The Atholl apart from the hectic Edinburgh restaurant scene while the traditional Scottish dishes are a joy for you Caledonian gastronomes. Whether it's an informal lunch with friends or a dinner date to impress the menu hits the right note every time.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Great food. Excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I recently organised a dinner for a party of 10 at the Atholl and it was a great experience.
Prior to arrival, Charles (Front of House manager) was extremely helpful in setting up menu options. Upon arrival, the private room offered to our party was perfect for the occasion. The menu options, the quality of the food and the service were all excellent.
I was also pleased that the wine list included some good, reasonably priced offerings. (I hate it when a restaurant overprices their wines.)
I can certainly recommend this restaurant for a group of this size.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed at the Howard and enjoyed a fine meal in their restaurant too. Good, intimate atmosphere, perfect for a romantic break.

Visited October 2013
Bearsden
“Afternoon Tea with Champagne!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

What a delightful place to sip a glass of bubbly & enjoy a traditional afternoon tea.
The "tea room" was very elegant & peaceful even though most tables were taken.
The array of sandwiches, scones & sweet treats was delicious & the service was really
good.
Thank you.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem Heart Edinburgh Super Top Marks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

As a couple we have dinned here near the heart of Edinburgh and found it to be of great service and quality.Starting in the lounge with drinks and finished in it with tea.The steak was cooked to perfection.I cook a lot of my own fillet steak and rarely do restaurants give better than ones I have marinated and cooked myself.However this was top class and recommend it.The waiter has artistic drawing and pictures showing Edinburgh's unique features also for sale on the walls.The romantic compact dinning area allows for a more attentative service from the courteous staff.Thank you for everything.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Poor Afternoon Tea”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

After reading an article online that rated The Howard as one of the top ten places to have afternoon tea in Edinburgh I decided to book it as a birthday treat for my friend. Whilst filling in the online booking form I specified that my friend is vegetarian and doesn't eat eggs (on The Howard website they state that they cater for special dietary requirements).
When we arrived I was sorely disappointed and annoyed to find that her needs had been given no thought whatsoever, there was nothing suitable on the cake menu for her at all and no alternative options available. We booked six days in advance, more than ample time for a team of professionals to make appropriate arrangements.
The excuse we were given was that they misunderstood the instruction, they thought that not eating eggs meant that 'she just didn't eat eggs and things containing eggs would be ok' (??). They had my number if they were not sure they could have called.
Just a poor effort all around, I won't be back.

EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Atholl at The Howard, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
As much as we welcome all feedback - this really is a rather unfair and disingenuous review. We were informed in advance that the guest in question did not like eggs - not that they were allergic - something we do hear a lot when deciding on which sandwiches to order.. Had this been the case we would have informed them that the very best parts of our Afternoon Tea offering, scones, cakes, pastries etc, simply have to contain eggs. We would then have worked on a bespoke offering to suit this guest's needs.
Leon Kiteley