“Wow. I mean, like, proper wow.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #200 of 1,901 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Vegetarian, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night, Street Food
Description: Fast, Fresh Mex Street Food. Offering burritos, quesadillas, soft tacos, 5 salsas and guacamole made fresh daily. Home of the ORIGINAL haggis burrito. Sit-in, Takeaway and Delivery (after 5pm daily)
Sheffield
“Wow. I mean, like, proper wow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I'm a fan of Mexican food. I love it. I have a stonkingly good Mexican restaurant within walking distance of my home (see 'Amigos, Sheffield'). But this place is easily as good as that. The large portions of beautifully marinated meat allied with the flavourful cheese melting in the quesadilla (I disagree with the last reviewer - the cheese is tasty but does balances beautifully with the meat); the freshness of the (I presume home made) salsa with a generous portion of sour cream (some places drizzle a bit on and think that's enough). All for about 6 quid. Major bargain!!!! I shall return every time business takes me to Edinburgh. The side of beans was perhaps unnecessary in hindsight, but worked well mixed in with the main quesadilla..... Bear in mind it is essentially a take away, so the dine-in experience is limited on that basis. But I;d happily eat this food standing out on Leith Walk. In the rain. In minus 5.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable, good food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've visited twice in the last couple of months for a takeaway. Fast, efficient, friendly service. The food is pretty good, and very good sized portions. I would like to see the option of Jalapeno's or a stronger cheese for a bit more flavour. The guacamole is very, very good!

If Trip Advisor had a half score system I would've given it 3.5 as it's a "good".

Will be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LosCardos, Owner at Los Cardos, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hi 206Kat,
thanks for the feedback. Jalapenos are always available on request and are in fact blended into all of our hotter salsas. Honestly think you are the fist person to suggest a stronger flavoured cheese though. The idea is that all the elements should work in harmony with the others without one single overpowering flavour.
Thanks for the otherwise good review, shame about that half star.
Hope to see you soon.
Edinburgh
“Good value Mexican takeaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great ideas have a place locally that does authentic Tex mex style food. I really enjoy the Carnitas burrito. Service is usually fast and efficient and the food tasty. I have not tried their delivery service but food always still hot when we get it home. Only comment is that I did not find the quesadillas as good as the burritos but that could just be personal preference.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“Great delivery meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We hardly ever have takeaways but decided to get one last weekend as we'd driven past the shop a few times and thought it looked good. We both ordered quesadillas, I had the vegetarian one and my partner had the steak one. As a bonus for me, there were no mushrooms in the vegetarian one which was good as I hate them and they often pop up in the vegetarian options. We both thought the food was great; decent sized portions that left us satisfied but not stuffed full. For a Mexican type meal it also felt healthy-ish.

We ordered through the Just-eat website and thought it was all fairly straightforward, was impressed with confirmation from Los Cardos within 2 minutes. Delivery was quick and the food was nicely presented. Will definitely order from there again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Burrito Fantasy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I have been dedicated followers of Los Cardos since it opened a few years back. As an American, this is the ONLY place in Edinburgh I qualify as real tex mex food. Run by a lovely American couple, the burritos here are ace, and will give homesick Americans a lovely taste of home. Unlike most British attempts at tex mex, Los Cardos understands the importance of juicy flavours and sauces that go right through the entire dish. Great options, including your pick of their homemade salsas, but I usually go for carnitas fajita burrito with xtra hot salsa. something for everyone. great times at los cardos!

• Visited September 2012