“Great hamburgers and vegetarian fare; stylish and family friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropole - Cafe & Bistro - CLOSED

Metropole - Cafe & Bistro
29-33 Newington Road, Edinburgh, Scotland
0131 668 4999
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, British, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Charming cafe/bistro in the heart of Newington. We love our coffee, food and wine & believe that you should not have to break the bank to do so. All of our dishes are prepared freshly and we use local suppliers.
genEva_44
“Great hamburgers and vegetarian fare; stylish and family friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have lived in Edinburgh for half a year and Metropole is so far my favorite restaurant. Of all the hamburgers I have tried in this town, theirs are consistently the best. But when I am not in the mood for hamburgers, they make delicious chicken skewers, couscous, excellent falafel and sweet potato fries (chips?) among other things. I appreciate their simple regular menu which allows them to focus on the quality of the meals offered rather than offering a large quantity of choices (and of course they offer varying nightly specials). The place itself is casual but quite stylish, good music played at a low volume. They even offer free wireless. Everything I have said before would be sufficient to make me a regular customer, but what really endears me to the place is the way they treat me and my young children every time we go. Not only do they not give families with young children the cold shoulder, they are quite good natured and patient with any antics (and there have been a few). I don't know many places that I would feel comfortable to bring my kids but still want to go there when I am alone or with friends.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

edinburgh
“definately worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had lunch in the Metropole yesterday, EXCELLENT. Service was great 2 male workers were so helpful, and friendly, when food came yummy! yummy! I had soup and flat bread sandwich, and my husband had fish, which he said was delicious, it was such a relaxing place to be, and excellent value for money. Will be re-visiting very soon again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fab and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went with our two young kids (3 and 4), was a wonderful wee Sunday treat. Excellent quality for an amazing price!! The starters of black pudding and mackerel pate were lovely. We both agreed the skirt of beef was wonderful, having both had this cut several times it can sometimes be a hit or a miss depending on how it is cooked. But this time was perfect full of flavour and cooked perfectly. Service was great very attentive, friendly and accommodating!!! Can't wait to go back again!!!

• Visited January 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Hot & Cold”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner ate here today and the food was excellent. However the restaurant was really cold which let the place down. We had to move tables because of the draft and after out perfect food we had to leave to go for coffee and to warm up.
I will definitely be back but maybe not in the winter....

Scotland
“The best coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Metropole serves my favourite cup of coffee in Edinburgh. If they could only get the food nailed, they'd be top 10 on Tripadvisor. Last time I ate there I ordered felafel. It was unfortunately, rather tasteless. The menu used to be rather good in here but in recent years it's changed twice (change of owners?). The tasty nachos are long gone.

• Visited October 2012