“6 Nations Rugby Weekend1” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cityroomz Edinburgh

You added Cityroomz Edinburgh to your Saves list
Cityroomz Edinburgh
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25-33 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh EH2 4RG, Scotland (Formerly Travelodge)   |
Ranked #86 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Braintree, United Kingdom
“6 Nations Rugby Weekend1”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This is a very good value hotel in a central location in the West End of Edinburgh. The rooms are small but have all you require for a 2 night stay. The bed was comfortable and the shower invigorating.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GeneralManager1969, Manager at Cityroomz Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards Javeed Anwar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Greek first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

The hotel is about 20 minutes casual speed walk from Waverley Station. It is a short walk to the Old Town and Grassmarket. The room was small however very clean and had a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was small but clean and had hand wash and body wash in the form of dispensers. The room was quiet and we had no problem sleeping. The two older ladies were very friendly but the younger staff member was not friendly however was polite enough. All in all we liked the room however it is not for a romantic getaway. The one thing I would fault is that after walking all day it does seem to be a bit far out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager1969, Manager at Cityroomz Edinburgh, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
Kilkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Me and my partner visited city roomz in Janurary for my 30th birthday. Upon first arrival the staff requested we pay in full however there card machine did not work. They asked us to use a different card but the card was not being declined the machine was saying no connection.

My Girlfriend returned to reception later that evening and again there card machine was not working. Attempt number 3 was the Friday morning and again there machine had no connection. On our third day in the hotel one of the staff members at cityroomz raised his voice as my girlfriend returned from shopping in front of other customers saying 'Hey you havent paid' she replied your 'machine has not been working' to which he replied 'it is now'.

After returing later that night (2am) our room key did not work, when we returned to reception we were told we had been locked out as we had not paid. An arguement subsequently insued.

The staff in this hotel ruined our stay by creating a terrible athmosphere all because there credit card machine did not work. I would suggest anyone steers clear of this hotel. I complained to there marketing manager and at first he denied we had been locked out intentionally after apparently conducting a two week report.

When I rang him to explain what happened he told me he would call me back the next day but instead he emailed to appologise for our treatment and said he would refund a miserable one nights stays. 3 weeks on he still has not refuneded a penny. The most apauling customer service imaginable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
At Cityroomz Edinburgh we consistently achieve the highest guest satisfaction ratings of 4 and 5 stars, our staff take great pride in offering exceptional levels of service. That is why it is so difficult to read a 1 star rating review that is so far removed from other guests experiences detailed on TripAdvisor. As this matter was discussed directly with the guest, it would not be appropriate to get into specifics as part of this response. Javeed Anwar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I booked here for a mini break to visit Edinburgh. Tuesday-Friday.

We paid £150 (ish) for three nights, which we thought was fantastic seeing as other nearby hotels were charging this for a single night! (This did not include breakfast but I believe breakfast was £4.95 pp per day)

I must admit I was a bit dubious about some of the reviews about it being so small (especially as I am pregnant and imagined squeezing into a tiny space) however I am unsure what these people were complaining about? The room size was perfect, admittedly it wasn't huge but it didn't need to be and it wasn't small or cramped, it was a good size for us both and I wouldn't have complained about the size.
The room had a king size bed, a dressing table and chair, bedside tables, a hair dryer, a kettle, an ironing board and a bathroom (with shower)
The one thing I did notice was how incredibly clean the room and bathroom was! And how everything was in good condition.

We did not have breakfast as we woke up too late but there are so many nearby places to eat! We had a costa breakfast one morning and since morrisons is next door which did hot food we grabbed a breakfast roll from there and had it with the coffee supplied in our room.

The rooms were cleaned daily and you was supplied with fresh towels daily.

The location was fantastic. 20 minute walk from the train station, ten minutes from the castle.

I would highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Edinburgh

Thank you Cityroomz for a fantastic stay!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a lovely review of the hotel. It's a shame you missed out on one of our buffet breakfast, but its always a tough call, lie in or enjoy breakfast! We look forward to welcoming you back soon (our family rooms are also great). Best wishes Javeed Anwar
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We visited Edinburgh for my sisters hen weekend this month. My sister found this hotel on a hotel search website and we saw they had a family room with a double bed and bunk beds. There were four of us trying to get in one room so we called cityroomz and aasked if we could put adults in the bunks. They said it was no problem. When we got there the bunks were huge, plenty big enough for two grown women. The room was spotless and the staff were so friendly and really helpful we found ourselves having a nice chat with them now and then. Breakfast was limited but just right for us and only £5. Location is right on the bus route and about 5 mins walk to get into the middle of princes street for shopping. Lovely.

• Stayed March 2014
GeneralManager1969, Manager at Cityroomz Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Great to hear that you had such a good time at Cityroomz. Thanks for leaving a lovely review. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

First time in Edinburgh and difficult to think of a better location. Airport bus drops off and picks up by the hotel, which is situated in the West end, just off Princess Street. Check-in was painless and the card entry system worked a treat. Double room was comfortable and quiet with modern fittings. Even a slight problem with a sink was fixed on the same day after mentioning to helpful reception staff.
A substantial buffet breakfast bar was clean, tidy and well stocked - leaving you ready to start on the shopping or sightseeing just around the corner.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We really do have a great location in Edinburgh, very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
east kilbride , scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I travelled to this hotel with my husband and 13 yr old son.
I booked a family room and wow what a room it was.
It was by far the best hotel room we have ever stayed in, it was absolutely massive with a king size bed , bunk beds and a sofa in the room and there was loads of floor space.
The room had a safe, an iron , ironing board, hair dryer , kettle and tea , coffee etc and tv on the wall.
Beds were so comfy.
The room had a street view.
The bathroom was large and very modern with a great power shower.
The location was at the end of princes street and we were able to walk to all the sights, the castle being a few streets away.
We had continental breakfast which was really good.
We also had free wifi in our room and the only gripe I had was that the wifi was for one device per room so my son couldn't use his iPod while I was using my iPad but I'm sure if I had approached the friendly helpful staff they would have sorted it out.
I will definitely return and I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: We had room 113 on the first floor