“Good food, service and decor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel

Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel
1-3 Rutland Street, Edinburgh EH1 2AE, Scotland (West End)
0131 229 3402
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Contemporary, Scottish
Good for: Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: .
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food, service and decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

This building has had a number of incarnations over the years. I hadn't been in the place since the 1990s! A business contact invited me to Kyloe for lunch - what a great surprise. The food was very good - I know steak is one of Kyloe's specialities - which I didn't want at lunch time. I had the mushroom and beef starter followed by the seared Isle of Harris salmon - bith courses were tasty and well presented. The staff were helpful, friendly and professional. It struck me as a good place for a meal with friends or family - they have great round tables for groups - other tables are good for "discrete conversations" - I'll be going back.

• Turkish first
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have been meaning to try out Kyloe properly for a while. We tried their steak tasting platters late last year and they were well worth the money.

Last night we had a good old fashioned blow out...

We were presenred with complimentary in-house baked bread and a spiced lentil dip that was so good, we just had to have more, not that the portion was small you understand. The bottle of Equus Carmenere was brought to the table and boded well for the food to come, beautiful, warm spice and berries.

Starters, I had the Charcuterie platter and my wife had the Steak Tartare. Never having had steak tartare, this was a gamble, one that evidently paid off. As to the charcuterie, someone knows their cured meats. Neither starter was too much or too little and the flavours were knockout.

For the main event, she had the rump steak with 1/2 a lobster; traditional surf 'n turf. It got the thumbs up. I went for the 45-day aged rump. We all know that you need to age beef to get the best from it but 45 days? Well, I was presented with a 400g perfectly cooked steak that was as tender as a piece of fillet with all the flavour of rump with a hint of gameyness wonder from the aging. Pair this up with some super sweet roadted vegetables and divine beef dripping chips and I have just found the meal that I would request if it was to be my last.

Deserts were great as was the desert wine (Noble Mud Pie) but how can they compare given the standard of the starters and mains.

All this in a lovely restaurant with views of Edinburgh Castle and Princess Street and impecable service.

Simply cannot be faulted, we will be back. Soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have been before and although I wasn't that impressed, hubby liked it so we went for his birthday.

The restaurant was absolutely freezing - apparently heating wasn't working. We were put beside a large table and the waiter kindly moved us to another table without us asking which was nice.

I had a 25% discount voucher but the steaks we wanted to order from it - fillet and T bone were both excluded - would have been helpful to have this printed on the voucher. As I am a Kyloe member ( you can join their emailing list) the waiter advised I had a 20% discount, so it was very kind of him to tell me about this.

My main beef is the steaks. I ordered a rare fillet and it wasn't really rare, it was ok in the middle but quite chewy on the outside. I suppose I could have complained, but at this price for the steak (£27 for the fillet with all sides being extra) I expect it to be right first time. When we spoke to the waiter, apparently the new chef was on a trial run. Sorry not good enough - Kyloe is charging absolute top notch prices and the standard of food and service should reflect that.

To be fair, hubbys T-bone was lovely and the beef dripping fries were excellent. He also enjoyed his knickerbocker glory - although this was brought out well after my coffee and his dessert wine, and was not on a plate but carried by the waiter.

It's maybe just me, but I am significantly underwhelmed by this place. Including the discount, with no starters and one dessert only the bill came to £89. There are much better places to have a meal at that price than Kyloes.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
sastrachan, Manager at Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
23rd January 2013

Dear Joaniebinedinburgh,

Thank you for your review.
Having done an investigation with the team working on the night of your visit, we would all here at Kyloe like to apologise for your experience that you had with us.
Reading over your review, I would like to comment on a couple of the points raised.
- One of the terms and conditions of the voucher is to mention that you are using this offer when you make your reservation. Due to us not knowing about the voucher, your server did not mention to you the dishes not included in the January sale. Unfortunately, bringing this to our attention at the end of your meal is too late for us to do anything about this. Fortunately, the manager on duty did however notice that you had recently joined our mailing list, so authorised the 20% member’s discount.
- With regards to your fillet steak not being cooked to your liking, again letting your server know whilst you are departing the restaurant gives us no opportunity to remedy matters. As you have suggested in your review, letting us know at the time would have given us the chance to sort this out. You did get a check back from your server a couple of minutes after receiving your food but failed to make him aware of your dissatisfaction.
As for my waiter suggesting that our grill chef was a trialist, this is totally untrue and a practise we would never even contemplate doing. This was a rather embarrassing moment of inexperience on my waiter’s part, one that shall not be repeated and one that will be dealt with internally.
The positives raised in your review are much appreciated, but we have collectively not been able to live up to either your or our high standards. Again, apologies from us all here at Kyloe restaurant, and thanks again for your feedback.
Kind regards

S Strachan
Manager
Pontycymer, Wales, United Kingdom
“special romantic meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

amazin restaurant with exceptional staff and amazin food. Ideal for a special meal. Quite a pricey restaurant but the meal that we had was well worth every penny. Good wine list also. Would definitely return

Visited January 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A very good meal indeed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Went to Kyloe now for the 3rd time. First time was just OK but they were not long opened and were probably still finding their feet. The 2nd time was very good as was this time. Ordered a basic sirloin that was cooked just as I had ordered it. The side dishes were delicious and plentiful. Decent wine list with good outlook over Princes Street- this is a restaurant you could end up staying in for a long time. Well worth a visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere