“Excellent service and funky style in the Old Town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh

You added G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh to your Saves list
G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1AD, Scotland (Formerly Hotel Missoni) (Old Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and funky style in the Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed here many times when the hotel was The Missoni and I was interested to see what had changed - the answer was 'not a lot' but it is early days. The staff continue to very attentive and the food is excellent. My room this time was in the old part of the building overlooking the Royal Mile - it was a beautiful room and very spacious. Downside was that there was no air conditioning in this room so I had to open the old fashioned sash windows. There was a bit if noise from the street below. Location is brilliant - would definitely recommend.

Stayed June 2014
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear johnnyfromtheblock,

Thank you so much for your stunning review. I am so pleased that you were so well looked after by our wonderful team at G&V. Please do not forget about us, feel free to get back in touch if you are ever planning a return to Edinburgh. We would be delighted to welcome you back anytime.

Have a fabulous summer!

Kind regards,

James Archer
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Saint Joseph, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I was debating whether to make this a 3 or a 4, so call it a 3.5. The location is excellent, less than a block off the Royal Mile. The decor strives to be avant garde; in 15 years people will look back at and think "How could they do that?" The rooms are small with minimal storage. Mirrors are used extensively to give the illusion of more space. Most of the amenities are there, but the use of space reminds me of a ship's cabin. It is impossible, for instance, to have the closet and the refrigerator open simultaneously. There is no iron in the room because there is no space for an ironing board.

That said, there are definite positives. Although the "king sized" bed is still two twins clamped together, there is a memory foam pillow top that makes it very comfortable. The bathroom has a combination overhead and hand held shower at is the best we've had in the UK. This is also the only hotel we stayed at this trip that is air conditioned. Breakfast is included in the room rate and has an excellent selection of Continental options and hot food made to order.

This is a good hotel, but the glitz doesn't cover the fact that the rooms are far too small.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
James A, Front Office Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Scott M,

Thank you for your valuable review and for your great comments about the location of the hotel. I am sorry to read that you were not happy with the size of your bedroom. I am sure that had we been aware of your thoughts during your stay we might have been able to find an alternative.
I am pleased to read that you were happy with the memory foam mattress and that you liked the shower in the room. I do hope your experience has not put you off coming back in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you back to G&V, anytime, please feel free to get in touch with me personally if you are planning a trip,

Kind regards,
James Archer
Guest Services Manager
Chipping Norton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Went through BA Executive Club for a flight/hotel deal and this hotel cam through as the best. Stayed three nights [Room 126] to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it was a perfect choice. The hotel is situated in a prime location near to the Royal Mile and the castle and many of the restaurants and amenities that do the city proud. Simple flight from Heathrow and use of the tram system made travel very easy.
Reception staff were excellent on arrival and in sorting out favoured restaurants etc and even though we overlooked the main street, we had no sense of the traffic or any noise, even when the Queen visited the town and castle during our stay! Bar staff and breakfast staff were polite, unobtrusive and friendly. The decor is of course 'different' but I loved its quirkiness and the cocktail had a busy atmosphere to it for a late night drink each night. Everything was in easy walking distance [Arthur's Seat well worth the walk] and it all made for a great stay. Many thanks

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear ChippingNortonJonnie, Thank you for your amazing review and sharing it with all of us! I am so pleased to her that you found your whole travel hassle free and enjoyable from start to finish. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff and we hope you will be back at the hotel soon! With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is in a great location but in my opinion is far over priced for what you get. The rooms are very worn and have a used feel to them, and there was this bizarre smell (alot like cat urine) in the bathroom that was so irritating that we had to keep the bathroom door shut the entire stay.

The bed was very comfy though, and having a nespresso machine in the room was a definite plus for us! The staff is super friendly and helpful and the food from Cucina was great. Also the bar downstairs was lively in the evenings.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Priscilla R, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your feedback with us. I am disappointed to hear we haven’t been able to meet your expectations on your recent stay at G&V Hotel. Please let me assure you that we take all the comments very seriously and both maintenance and housekeeping have been notified about the issues in the bathroom and the maintenace issues in the room. I am glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. If you are planning to come back, may ask you to contact me directly on henna.kapulainen@gandvhotel.com and I will make sure you will be well looked after. With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel is in a great location. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast was excellent with an excellent selection of hot and cold food along with fruit and fresh juices.
I had specifically asked for a quiet room but unfortunately it was a room looking out onto the busy Royal Mile.
I would stay here again but would ask for a quieter room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear cilliant, Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear that you found your overall stay enjoyable. I am, however, disappointed to hear that you hadn’t been allocated the requested room in a quieter location of the hotel. We always try our very best to fulfil our guests’ requests to the best of our ability and I am sorry to hear that on this occasion this wasn’t the case. I hope you will stay with us again, and I will make sure that you will be well looked after. With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

While we were really looking forward to our stay at the G&V, we ended up feeling that it’s an ok hotel, but very definitely not 5 star.
Why? Well, in summary location is excellent, but rooms are average and as such overpriced (small, no bath, insufficient storage for non-hanging clothes, poor soundproofing - oddly for such a new building, soundproofing to the corridor and the road is virtually non-existent).
Other things that were disappointing:
Curtains are too short - not great in summer. Come on guys - this is the kind of thing a 5 star gets right without even thinking.
Toiletries dismally unimpressive and revoltingly pungent - think Body Shop 1980s. We were expecting something a lot more luxurious and exclusive …
Pillows are truly awful with no protectors on them – like sleeping on air, and not in a good way.
And they may want to try and clean under the beds occasionally - we dropped something and got a nasty surprise when retrieving it…

We were so looking forward to our stay, but for us, some of the real basics were absent and it was lacking the finesse and luxury of a true five star. And considering the hype and the price, it was a rather big disappointment.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Member100, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very disappointed to hear that you didn’t have the experience you expected and that we fell short on delivering the five star experience that we always aim for. May I ask you to contact me directly on henna.kapulainen@gandvhotel.com as I would like to discuss your experience more in detail. With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed for one night in the standard room. Two things really impressed us - 1) The reception staff were very friendly and helped us with 3 restaurant suggestions and reservations. They were very enthusiastic to help us and were already thinking one step ahead of our requests. There suggestions were excellent and it took the guess work out of finding a good place to eat in a strange city. 2) The bathroom and its products were of a high quality. The shower was very relaxing.

The only problem we had with our stay was the bed and unfortunately this is a very important feature of any hotel room. The bed was hard (subjective) and there was a vinyl mattress cover under the sheet that made the bed feel plasticky. The other problem with the bed is common for us in most hotels and that is even with the air conditioning on minimum temperature the quilt is still too hot. We probably could have asked for a blanket but it takes you about an hour to work out this problem and then it is a big effort to fix it.

So full marks to the front of house staff and if you stay here I suggest you play around a bit with the bed - remove vinyl cover and get a blanket before you settle down for the night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear feelingxxlucky, Thank you for your comments and sharing it with everyone. I am very happy to hear that we have given you restaurant recommendations that you enjoyed and that the reception staff were able to help you with your requests. I am also delighted to know that you found our bathrooms and the amenities excellent; however it is disappointing to hear that the bed was too uncomfortable for you. I hope to see you back with us again, and meanwhile please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with! Have a lovely summer, with best wishes, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager

Been to G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh? Share your experiences!