“Pushy grinning waitresses ruined our evening.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh

You added G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh to your Saves list
G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1AD, Scotland (Formerly Hotel Missoni) (Old Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
scotland
“Pushy grinning waitresses ruined our evening.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited Hotel Missoni cocktail bar with party of 3 on a busy Friday evening. Beautiful clean place with busy atmosphere, however the staff just don't give you a moments peace :( my husband was happily queuing at the bar, during which time I had to fend off 3 pushy waitresses as I sat at our table! Despite trying to fob them off, one insisted on taking over the drinks order my husband had already placed! He was standing very near our table so this was completely unnecessary and caused delay. We had to wait about 15 minutes on her returning with the drinks during which time several other grinning waitresses approached us! Eventually the drinks were delivered with the obligatory bowl of nuts, but we just couldn't relax due to grinning waitresses continually circling the table! We would have stayed in the bar all evening if it hadn't been for the staff, who I'm guessing depend on tips to enhance their salaries! The drinks were a little pricey, but not too bad, a 125 ml (luke warm) glass of pinot grigo was £8.95. I was disappointed that it was not chilled ! Beautiful hotel but pushy female waiting staff in cocktail bar and warm white wine ruined our visit.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Fabulous hotel from which to start a driving tour of Scotland - just off (100m) the Royal Mile - very friendly and kilt dressed staff able to solve any challenge - rooms very comfortable with all mod cons - funky bathroom with excellent open shower. Dined in restaurant one night and very enjoyable dinner. External laundry service managed to misplace a shirt - however staff were attentitive and managed to locate shirt in following days and then rang to let us know so we could pick up on way back through Edinburgh (alternatively they were going to post back to Australia for us). All in all my partner and I had very enjoyable 2 days - wish we had stayed for a few more days..:) ......Gay friendly establishment.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear YodaSydney,
Many thanks for reviewing your stay at Hotel Missoni.
I am very pleased that you found the staff very friendly and able to solve any challenge.
Apologies for briefly misplacing your shirt. I am glad that it was returned to you shortly after.
I hope that you enjoyed your driving tour of Scotland. We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We loved our second visit to the Missoni on the 01/03/13. The staff were friendly and helpful and it was a very smooth check in. The room was lovely, even though it was a bit more compact than the room we had on our first stay, however we did have a side view of the castle, which more than made up for this (room 405) The cocktail bar is stylish spacious and comfortable and the ladies toilets are blingtastic and immaculate. We look forward to returning to this hotel which is in a great location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gillian S,
Many thanks for returning to Hotel Missoni, Edinburgh and taking the time to review your stay with us.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Ayrshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Missoni for two nights for a city break with my mum. From the moment I walked through the door, the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. I loved the decor and atmosphere of the lobby, restaurant and bar and was not disappointed in my room either! Every effort has been made to make your stay as pleasant as possible - comfortable beds, lovely decor, huge windows with (in my room at least!) a great view of Edinburgh. The mini-bar and daily paper were both complimentary and the room also contained a coffee maker and 'real' milk - a nice touch! Wifi was also included and you are provided with access to a personal website during your stay where you can make all sorts of requests - room service, housekeeping, taxi, travel info...you name it, it's all there! You choose the time for your requests to be fulfilled and the hotel confirm once done which is handy when you're out and about.
Breakfast, well - safe to say it was also of a high standard with plenty of choices including a good range of healthy options.
All in all, very satisfied customer! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Scott W, Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear ayrshire_lass85,
Thank you very much for writing a review about your recent stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the decor and atmosphere of the lobby, restaurant and bar.
I am also very pleased that you found useful the "My Hotel Missoni" app that is available to download via Itunes.
We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Renfrewshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Visited this Lovely hotel with my daughter as a special treat the only thing that put a damper on it was the attitude of the receptionist.
I booked through a booking company as I don't use credit cards and had fully paid for my stay, the receptionist asked for credit card I explained that used booking company as didn't have one & I felt very intimidated as she said I could not use bar or restaurant even though I had no intention of doing so as we were only using hotel as visiting theatre.
The room was perfect although I was unable to have a coffee as machine was not drawing water, it may have been I was not using properly but because of way receptionist made me feel I didn't feel comfortable phoning for help.
The breakfast staff were totally different as were the doormen being very friendly & efficient and we had a delicious breakfast.
Although beautiful hotel in great location that one member of staff making me feel like a second class citizen would stop me staying again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear JEMMA-D,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am very pleased that you found Hotel Missoni to be a beautiful hotel in a great location and the restaurant and doormen were very friendly & efficient.
I am very sorry if you were made to feel intimidated by one of our staff members. Certainly this is not the norm as most of our Trip Advisor reviews mention how friendly and curteous our staff is. It is however our company policy to ask when checking in for a credit or debit card just as a guarantee against any extras that you might incur during your stay. This then allows you to be able to charge items like room service etc. to your room for your own convenience.
We certainly hope to welcome you back in the future.
Bucks, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night midweek. Friendly and attentive staff and a rapid check-in. Room wasn't ready until 2pm but they phoned me to let me know when it was available and stored luggage in the meantime. Valet parking worked well but is not cheap (£35) and is best pre-booked as they have limited spaces in their car park. Room (Piccolo) was well laid-out with interesting decor and the free minibar (non-alcoholic) is a nice touch. It was certainly big enough for 2 people for 2-3 nights and was surprisingly quiet, given the location. Bar staff were good - attentive, quick and friendly. I wasn't able to try the restaurant, so can only rate the hotel "very good" rather than "excellent" but this place would be my first choice on a return trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear PoolLounger,
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Missoni, Edinburgh following your stay with us.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you will manage to join us in our award winning Italian restaurant Cucina.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just had the most amazing facial and deep back massage in the Spa at Missoni, Edinburgh. I really enjoyed the whole experience , the staff are so friendly and very professional. My facial included a hand and foot massage, the products they use are fabulous. The back therapy massage was just what my husband needed after a stressful week. We finished off with a perfect coffee in the bar, a lovely Sunday all round.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lesley a,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent spa day.
I am so pleased that you had a great time. The fabulous products you mention that we use in our spa are Eve Lom and Natura Bisse.
We look forward to seeing again in the near future.
Kind regards,

Been to G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh? Share your experiences!