“An awesome New Year 2012” 5 of 5 stars
Review of G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh

You added G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh to your Saves list
G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1AD, Scotland (Formerly Hotel Missoni) (Old Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“An awesome New Year 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed here with my girlfriend for New Year and also had an evening meal. The service is quite simply excellent! A very trendy hotel in an excellent location. If you can afford it this is the place to stay in Edinburgh!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights here recently to celebrate her special-occasion birthday. I had read the reviews beforehand and, as with any hotel, there were a few less favourable ones. However, I must say that we were perfectly thrilled with the experience. The key - as in any hotel - is to communicate if things are not quite as you expect or want. Missoni may well be suffering from its popularity and need to augment its staff and staff training but I can't speak highly enough of their friendliness and willingness to help.
We have a thing about being able to customise the room environment. At night we like to turn off the heat or air-conditioning and open a window. The lovely room we were given on the 4th floor did not have any windows that opened. We spoke to Matt at the desk about this and he explained that this was a regulation imposed by Edinburgh City Council. However he came back to us a short time later to offer us a room in the older part of the building which faces onto the Royal Mile. This room was actually bigger that the previous one and had the desired opening windows.
All the kilted doormen were very helpful, especially with tips on places to eat.
We found the hotel's decor quirky but appealing. The room facilities were first class: free minibar (wine and soft drinks), free movies (a great range of recent hits including the last Harry Potter), Nespresso coffee maker, free Internet (cable and wifi), great rain shower.
We were lucky to have breakfast included in our rate. This was really enjoyable. The cooked dishes were well presented and there was a nice range of choices from the buffet. The restaurant was rated the best Italian establisment of 2011 so we felt we had to try it out. We were not disappointed. There is also the option, for a small extra charge, to share any of the dishes. We tried this with two of the desserts and this turned out to be the best dessert-eating experience we have ever had!
And along with all that Missoni has one of the best locations in Edinburgh, right on the royal Mile and within minutes walking distance of the New Town across the Mound.
So don't get too hung up on the fringe niceties of pretentious 5 star hotels. Missoni could maybe add a few more of these (for those that like all the boxes ticked). But it has so much 5 star appeal already,not least of which (for me) is the huge desire of its staff to make your stay a truly memorable one.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed here with friends for two nights over the New Year and really liked it. The decor is great the staff are great the vibe is great and the location is great - what more can I say - we will return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pontypridd, Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We decided to book the hotel missoni after reading the reviews on trip advisor. Overall I thought it was a good hotel although in some parts I was disappointed.
When we arrived there was no one at reception and we were left waiting for our room for about thirty minutes. In this time about 6/7 other rooms were filled. We were given a coffee but after a while it began to get annoying watching everyone else go to their rooms.
After my mother complained we were checked in. Although we were not told where anything was or even what time breakfast was. However the reception staff were very friendly.
The room itself was lovely although having ordered a twin it was disappointing to see we had a double bed. However a phone call sorted this out quickly with no trouble to us. The receptionist even phoned our room several times to check we were happy with everything. I thought personally the room was lovely I liked the free movies, the tv was high tech and the bathroom superb. The view was lovely as well as we had a view of st giles cathedral and arthur's seat.
The two pieces of laundry was a nice concept as well.
I found the location really good we were just off the mile and within a few minutes walk to grassmarket.
The bar was okay - it was a bit strange to have it right by reception but I liked the quirky furnishings and the drinks were good but expensive.
I also had a manicure. I did find it quite expensive especially as it took place in reception and my manicure was interrupted by people paying or coming in and out of the spa.
The breakfasts were good and I enjoyed ordering fromthe kitchen and the meals were nicely prepared.
Overall I did enjoy the few days but there were a few areas that did disappoint.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed in the Missoni hotel 3 nights between Christmas and new years'. Although it was cold and rainy (to be expected this time of year) we had a great time, not in the least place because of the hotel. The location is perfect, 10 min walk from waverley station where the airlink buses stop from the airport, and right on the royal mile. Staff is very friendly and welcoming. We had a room facing the courtyard, roomy enough and nicely decorated. Another cool thing is the app they have, which allows you to book a table in the restaurant, a spa treatment or request toiletries or extra pillows etc. Very nice!! It did seem to crash quite often, after which you would need to reinstall. Had an indian head massage at the spa which was lovely, they have a heated massage bed and fresh fruits + drinks in the relax area. All in all a great stay at a modern yet warm and welcoming hotel!

Pontypridd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My daughter and I spent two nights at this hotel and we were looking forward to it from the reviews. I have previously stayed at the balmoral and thought I would stay at another 5 star hotel in Edinburgh. We got a taxi from waverley as it was wet and it only cost us £3.50 with tip. A good start. As we walked into the lobby there was no one there no doorman and nobody in reception. I thought the cocktail bar was a coffee bar and wandered where the real bar was.
Eventually someone came and she was very apologetic as she didn't know the checking in system. She offered us a complementary coffee and said she would send someone to check us in. We had a coffee which was luke warm and waited. Meanwhile the reception team turned up and checked in approx 6 couples. 40 minutes passed and I went up to the desk and asked to speak to the manager. James was very apologetic and gave us a complementary bottle of wine which was a nice touch.
Our room was lovely with a good view of giles cathedral. however we asked for a twin room and the bed was a double. It was easily solved when we went out as they were split apart.
Everything was clean and in good order. Breakfast was good.
However i feel it doesnot deserve it's 5 star rating. I have been to a lot of 5 star hotels and the little touches that make it unique were not there e.g sparkling wine or champagne at breakfast, little biscuits or nuts served with your coffee or drink. A seating area to have a quiet drink and read the paper. Nobody told us where to go for breakfast or told us where the spa was. Nobody showed us to our room and explained how things worked. the turn down service was good but usually there is a chocolate or the weather forecast on the pillow.
On the positive the complementary mini bar and two items of laundry cleaned was good, it was within the price. The staff were friendly.
I go to Edinburgh a lot and I cannot say whether I would definetly return to this hotel again. Maybe.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

The Missoni is a well-designed hotel in a great location and I chose it because it has built a good reputation.

Upon booking, the reservation staff were helpful and similarly on arrival we were greeted warmly. I was surprised after researching the hotel, that I had built an image of an intimate and private venue however the reception area is small and it's bar is busy and open to all to enter.

The room was comfortable if not on the small side, stylishly furnished in Missoni designs although lighting was a little stark for my taste. Overall, a lot of effort has gone into the aesthetics of the hotel.

For me the hotel lost points on its marketing and service. I hasten to add that everyone was friendly. But when it came to the 45 minute queue to get into the restaurant for breakfast, reception was unable to credit me so that we could get on with our day and find somewhere else to eat.

As for marketing, I sense that demand for the Missoni offering in Edinburgh's upper price bracket is not great, so I was also put off by some couples in the lift who bragged that they managed to get weekend break deals through a lucky dip at lastminute.com; especially since I had paid almost four times the amount they did for the same thing. It was embarrassing having spoilt my partner to what I thought was an exclusive birthday weekend. It was these points and the minor issue of having no one available to pick up the reception phone that spurned him to remember our stay as a comedy of errors.

So overall, a mixed bag for me. I would have foregone the designer label for some tailor-made service and a bit more exclusivity having seen how hotels like Sofitel do it for a similar price or less. That said, I forwarded my feedback and they were polite enough to reply promptly and give me the name of someone to contact should I choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: I felt we could have done better - ask to see a couple if you're not satisfied
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Services_Missoni, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear ‘bermondsey_traveller’,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at Hotel Missoni and also for choosing to get in touch directly.

We host quite a lot of guests who are celebrating an occasion, whether it is a birthday or an anniversary and it is understandable you would want every aspect of the stay to be special for both you and your partner. I am sorry that there were a few points which you felt took a little of the sparkle out of your weekend.

We are sorry you felt you did not get a good deal on the room. As with most business in the tourism sector, the price of an end product can fluctuate dramatically depending on demand as well as the time at which the booking is made.

With regard to the wait at breakfast time, we can only apologise. Please rest assured that this is not our usual standard and we are sorry to have let you and ourselves down on this occasion.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Julianne Frith

Been to G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh? Share your experiences!