“Lovely Afternoon tea” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Court at The Balmoral

Palm Court at The Balmoral
1 Princes Street | The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh EH2 2EQ, Scotland (Formerly The Bollinger Bar at Palm Court)
+44 131 556 2414
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 1,899 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Palm Court is an Edinburgh institution that's as glittering as its glass dome and Venetian chandelier. Sip vintage champagne or sample our award-winning Afternoon Tea with a wide selection of loose leaf teas, coffee, classic and contemporary sandwiches and savouries, pastries and sweet treats. A harpist provides the perfect accompaniment. Palm Court is open daily between 08:00 and 18:00 with Afternoon Tea being served 12:00 and 18:00. The Balmoral Afternoon Tea is £29.00 Per person, or £45.00 With a glass of Bollinger Special Cuvee.
Princeton, New Jersey
“Lovely Afternoon tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The afternoon tea was delightful. The cucumber, goat cheese and egg salad with watercress
Sandwiches were particularly delicious. I wish there were more!

The entire staff were excellent particularly Helen who was incredibly professional and friendly. My mom and I enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere after a long day walking around Edinburgh viewing the sites. A few suggestions: We loved the fresh strawberries and would have liked more fruit as part of the afternoon refreshments, additionally, there were teas we would have liked to try, but wanted to enjoy our favorite selection. It would be great if there was a "tea tasting" with possibly 3 small pots of tea that you could sample before making a final decision or with a full pot of your favorite. There was music coming through the lobby, but piano or music directly in the Palm Court would enhance the experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Staff...just one or two suggestions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Last wednesday I attended The Bollinger Bar for afternoon tea with my daughter for a belated birthday celebration . Whilst we enjpyed the experience I feel I would like to make one or two suggestions particularly in light of the fact that I have been to a few places for afternoon tea including Claridges in London.
I did feel that the atmosphre was a little spoilt by people around us who were having business lunches and one meeting was very noisy. perhaps those people who are not having afternoon tea could sit somewhere else.In terms of the food it was lovely but some fresh fruit and perhaps a sorbet would add another dimension.
The staff were excellent particularly Helen who was incredibly professional and friendly.
Finally would it be possible to have some loyalty scheme as this was my daughters third visit in six months. All of which were presents as she is a poor student!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“If you're after a relaxing, sophisticated evening this is the place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

If my family and I have something to celebrate this is where we come. The atmosphere inside is calm and relaxing and you definitely feel you are somewhere special. We recently visited to celebrate my new job. A round of drinks isn't cheap (approx £70 for 6 people- 2 mojitos, a brandy, a non alcoholic cocktail, and 2 glasses of Bollinger) but we don't go because of the price we go because its special. Often there is gentle live piano or harp music being played in the background. Fantastic selection of drinks to choose from. Also a great place to people watch! Staff service, as you would expect is excellent. If you are after something a little less expensive I sometimes pop in for a cup of tea or hot chocolate in the afternoon. I recently took a friend visiting Edinburgh for tea (not the afternoon tea but a pot of tea with a biscuit) and she just loved it. The pots of tea are huge and we could have probably shared one (about £4). Great selection of fruit and standard tea. Would highly recommend.

Visited May 2013
“Fantastic afternoon tea at the Bollinger Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a treat for endless babysitting we took the two Grannies for afternoon tea at the Balmoral. The Palm Court was being renovated so our tea was in the mezzanine level above the foyer. The tea itself was delicious and endless, and the service warm and incredibly friendly - by an enthusiastic waitress called Helen. She explained the renovations planned for Palm Court and has ensured that we will make a return visit once they are finished.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Palm Court at The Balmoral, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent afternoon tea experience. I am delighted to read that in spite of the temporary relocation to our balcony, you and your family enjoyed the experience and in particular I would like to thank you for your kind feedback regarding the service received by my colleague, Helen. She is indeed a great asset to the hotel and it will be a pleasure to share your feedback with Helen. We are currently undergoing a complete renovation of our lounge bar and are excited to reveal the improvements in the coming months, when we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely
Jenny Laseen
Palm Court Manager
Denver, Colorado
“Tea at Palm Court”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

What a pleasant time especially with help like Helen! She made up for a loud (drilling nearby for a new hotel kitchen) and understaffed time. Thank goodness that she was working! Overall a fabulous time (twice in 4 days)!! Make sure to ask for Helen!

• 5 of 5 stars Food