“Very nice B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 11 Nelson Street

11 Nelson Street
We can't find prices for this accommodation
11 Nelson Street
11 Nelson Street, Edinburgh EH3 6LF, Scotland   |
Ranked #132 of 441 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Turin, Italy
“Very nice B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was in it for 2 nights, on 7 and 8 july 2013 with my family.
The owner, Mrs. Ingsay Balfour, was really kind and helped us a lot.
She bought my to a free parking to leave my car. Otherwise, it is necessary to pay for parking, apart on sunday.
The room and the bethroom were really clean.
Also the breakfast was good.
It is possible to reach city center with a 10 minutes walk.
A suggestion: when you arrive, the blue door at the ground floor is open, so enter directly, and go to the last floor (some stairs to be done...).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hayling Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We arrived and saw the steps to the front door and thought - oh that is not so bad. We knocked on the door increasingly loudly and then decided to ring both bells on the left, as I couldn't read the names. Bill answered and told us to push the front door and come on up. Ah, now we saw the steps! 5 lots of steps - 49 steps in all but not steep. I am 65 and my husband 71 and we had no difficulty whatsoever with the steps, however we do keep fit. We also only had 'hand-luggage.' We stayed for 5 nights and know how to travel light.

The first night I found the traffic noise a problem, but my husband did not notice it. We slept in separate rooms. I used ear-plugs the next couple of nights but then forgot them on the last night and the traffic was not a problem. It is not so loud that it cannot be 'got used to.'

No problem with the water possibly because we already have a system that the slower it is run the hotter it is, which was how it worked in my sink. The showerhead in my room was above me; I preferred the one in my husband's en-suite where the showerhead is flexible. Both en-suites were beautiful with every little thoughtful convenience - from little hair-shampoos to conditioners to body lotions to shower gels. There was a lovely tiny bar of soap as well as hand wash. Not just your ordinary handwash but Neil’s Yard – oh wow!
There was a brilliant hair-dryer in each room - such a joy to the female traveller!

Simple (throw-away?) slippers and cuddly towelling dressing gowns also provided – excellent for keeping the weight down in the suitcases.

I am not one with a big appetite first thing in the morning but my husband is. Both our needs were catered for in quite a relaxed manner with no worries or hassle. The yoghurt and scrambled eggs were heavenly. The mixed fruit salad was just amazing - truly scrumptious. Personally I do not care much for muesli but my husband ate it with great enthusiasm. It was good to have croissants. No problem with me taking mine to eat slightly later.

The location of the place was absolutely perfect. It could not have been better for anywhere we wanted to go. On two occasions we called a taxi and it arrived within seconds - amazing! No hassle because we kept it waiting for a while either as I was still putting on my shoes! Taxis very cheap - cheaper than return for both of us on a bus as our bus passes not valid in Scotland.

It was lovely being somewhere where we could come and go as we wished. No hassle with our own keys for the outer door and for Ingsay's front door. Ingsay is very easy to chat to. She is a very interesting person. She has the same interests as my son who has just begun lecturing at Edinburgh University where she studied. Ingsay invited my son to breakfast, which he was looking forward to, but his commitments prevented this. Bill and Ingsay could not have been more welcoming, extending another invite also that we were unable to accept.

The very good-sized rooms were warm and very comfortable. We were told that the heating system has recently been renewed. The beds were wonderful - we like firm mattresses with loads of pillows/ cushions which I love. The bedding had that sweet fresh smell of being freshly laundered. The duvets were sooo warm and cuddly... mmmm. One reviewer mentioned that one room was a double bed but our experience was that both rooms had single beds. They were pushed together to act as a double in my room if necessary.
I am a fussy cleaner (cleaner by profession) and found no problem with cleanliness. Ok, so the rooms were not changed etc everyday but then this is in a home. Duvets don't take much of a tidy up and we were there less than a week.

After the first day we did not give the steps a second thought.

The place is very light with wonderful light painted walls and beautiful paintings - especially the horses, one in my room, painted by Ingsay's daughter.

Thank you Ingsay and Bill.

Room Tip: The double room with the flexible shower-head is brighter for reading. Although we had no problem t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at Number 11 for two nights in late November. The house was beautiful, perched at the top of the victorian era buildings in New Town. It was an easy walk to places for dinner and to Old Town. The hosts were the 'leave you to your day' type rather than 'stay and chat' - which was fine by us as we had a good idea of what we wanted to see and do. The rooms were spacious and the bathrooms truly stunning. We had the option of continental and cooked breakfast, but we stuck with the continental options, which was excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

11 Nelson St. is on a great location to explore Edinburgh. 15 minute walk to the Royal Mile. Our room was very large and comfortable. It is a 3 flight walk up the stairs to get to the apartment but worth the treck. Our hostess Ingsay was very helpful She got us a cab to the airport at 6:15am. THe croissants at breakfast were fabulous.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed for five days with our daughter and enjoyed a lovely stay with people that felt like old friends. I can't say enough about our host gracious welcome and the condition of our rooms. If you are looking for a quiet hamlet, just steps from all the attractions of the city...this is your place!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at Ingsay and Bill's fine B&B during my recent trip to Edinburgh. The room had plenty of space, a thoroughly modern ensuite bath and lots of charm. I enjoyed the breakfast so much I asked for the muesli recipe! The only caution I would give is that there are a three flights of stairs to the B&B and then more to the rooms. Fortunately there are chairs strategically posted at every landing so people like me could stop off for a rest. After the first trip I adjusted and did quite well. However for those with mobility issues that might be a problem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

It was so nice to be back in Edinburgh and enjoy the home-away-from-home comfort of Ingsay and Bill's place at 11 Nelson St. It was just as I remembered, and just what I needed. Filled with art and books, warmth and beauty, and the easy-going nature of our hosts. I was thrilled to be staying in the same spacious and nicely appointed room as our last visit (Aug.2011), complete with comfortable bed, private ensuite and thoughtful touches. After a long and busy afternoon (helping my daughter move into University residence), Ingsay had the perfect recommendation for me for dinner. (Thank you.) As others have said over and over, her breakfasts are amazing and fresh...no wait, DECADENT may be a better choice of wording, particularly if you have the hot breakfast in addition to fruit, muesli and croissants. The location is perfect for walking to the shops and restaurants of the New Town, or up to the Old Town, and Ingsay's flexibility with my departure time (6pm train) make this the place I will keep coming back to, should I be lucky enough to be in this city again. Thank you for everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to 11 Nelson Street? Share your experiences!