“It's nearly perfect!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Princes Street Suites at 16 Waterloo Place

You added Princes Street Suites at 16 Waterloo Place to your Saves list
Princes Street Suites at 16 Waterloo Place
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   16 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh EH1 3EG, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)   |
Ranked #18 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Orlando, Florida
“It's nearly perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our experience at Princes Street Suites was excellent! The first contact with the reception desk was very good. People were friendly and tried to be helpful when we had questions. Our checkin was fast and efficient. We questioned the front desk girl if there was an internet connection in our room. She promptly gave us a piece of paper with the password. Then we moved to our room. As soon as we opened it, we could smell a very strong odor coming from inside. It kinda bothered us because it was very strong. It seemed to be any kind of chemical product. But we turned out to get used to it. The room was neat, clean, well furnished. Different from the photos of their site, but good anyway. The bathrooms were great, everything new. Our 3 bedrooms were comfortable, one of which a bit small. The kitchen was very clean and everything was available. The trash was collected from our apartment everyday. We had a setback: we never got connected to the internet. Throughout our stay, we tried hard to get connected but couldn't navigate because of the signal. We asked for help several times. The guys from the reception desk were very friendly. They visited our room in order to try to make things work. They told us they would restart their server/router because 'that was the first time a guest was having a problem'. But the truth is: we never got connected to the net throughout our stay. Despite the fact we were kind of upset with that, all the rest was great! I would definitely come back and stay at this homelike hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites at 16 Waterloo Place, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lenghtly review on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you have enjoyed staying at Princes Street even though you seemed to have experienced some minor problems with the wi-fi connection. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused . Our free wi-fi is very popular with our guests and it is possible that the system was saturated at the time . We will definitely look into it to make sure that this does not happen again. With regards to the strong smell, we have been working on a programme of soft refusrbishment and I believe one of your bathrooms had been freshly re-grouted that day . This would explain the smell which I hope did not last too long . Once again thank you for your lovely comments . We look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is the one of the best located serviced apartments . Very clean and very family friendly . Lovely, spacious rooms. Very neat kitchen with enough utensils for 5 people. We stayed in a three bed apartment on third floor and nothing else could've been improved in our room. All of us had a wonderful sleep and very nice time. Very friendly staffs. As we booked on line, we had a fantastic deal or else its a bit expensive. Its a shame there is no swimming pool for the price else its an excellent place to stay with the family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. I am glad that you and your family have enjoyed the overall experience . The two and three-bedroom apartments are ideal for families- Being located right in the centre of town means that we are restricted with space when it comes to additional facilities and we would not be able to add a pool to the building . However, we hope you have made the most of our spa . We look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The location is very good, right next to Princess street with very nearby. The rooms were okay and are being improved with bigger T.V.s being fitted, that said the rooms would benefit from more of the basic things like extra knives and forks and baking trays (we only got 1 set of knives and forks each and 1 baking tray), though this is less of a problem because there are lots of good places to eat close by. The staff were all very nice and helpful. The biggest issue I had was the lack of sleep. This was mainly due to the windows which allowed lots of cold air and noise, we were told that the hotel is likely to have new widows fitted soon and this would greatly improve the service the hotel offers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites at 16 Waterloo Place, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites . I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us but disappointed to read that you have experienced some issues with the windows and what seems to be a lack of kitchen equipment . I hope those issues were reported during your stay and were dealt with by our team accordingly. I hope we will soon welcome you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards
denver, co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel seems to promote itself as a 5-star hotel. If I were really a 5-star hotel-goer, I think I would have been disappointed. BUT I am a 2-3 star hotel-goer, and the price was around a 3-star hotel from what I'm used to (over $100/night, but not more than $150 even with taxes and fees. I don't remember exactly). For 3-star price, this is a total value, and I would definitely say it gets 5-stars for space and amenities such as a kitchen! Having a kitchen, living room, and laundry was great. The large, deep tub was great. But after the initial excitement of "OOOH look at the floor to ceiling windows! And all the room! And the modern style!" you start to realize that it looks like a bunch of IKEA furniture, and the beds and linens aren't all that comfortable, and the towels aren't particularly luxurious, and some of them are even a bit worn and scraggly. Which, if you're expecting 5-stars (and maybe paid a 5-star price), might not be so cool. We were there 3 nights and the location was great. Had it not been a blizzard, the rooftop looked like a great place to hang out. I don't really have any complaints for what I paid but I think the term 5-star is misleading. The two rooms are really awkwardly set up and seem to have huge spaces that are screaming for more furniture, the TVs in the bedrooms wouldn't work, and there were some stains on the carpets. The elevator seemed to have some issues and wouldn't always come when the button was pressed. Also, there is just one full-sized (NOT queen) bed in each bedroom, while you could fit a lot of people sleeping on the floor, there's not a lot of bed space. I took the duvet from one room into the other so my husband and I didn't fight over the tiny duvet, and that was how we could both sleep in the bed. I did consider sleeping solo in the other room because I just don't like full sized beds that much! If you are looking for a hotel with a full kitchen, this is definitely a great place. If you don't think you'd bother to use a kitchen, and just want a nice hotel room, there's probably places nearby for the same price that might be a little nicer.

Room Tip: We asked for laundry facilities and they switched which 2-room suite we were booked in. The washer...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review that I am sure TA readers will find most useful . I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us even though you seemed to be a bit disappointed with the standard of the facilities . Our serviced apartments are very popular and are , in a way, victim of their own success ... You will however be pleased to read that we have almost finished the painting of all the apartments, that all the carpets are currently being cleaned and that some soft refurbishment is also taking place. I would like to apologize if you have felt misled with regards to our star-rating . We do promote our suites as four-star which is our official VisitScotland and AA rating and a star-rating certainly confirmed by the majority of our guests staying with us . I hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

spent three nights in a two bedroom apartment- Family of four.
Very clean, friendly and helpful staff but the real advantage of these suites is the location- ideal for all tourist destinations in Edinburgh. We visited Holyrood house, the castle the Royal Mile and Princess and George street shops- all easily within walking distance as were the bus stops for the zoo and Britannia.
I recommend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review and for recently staying at Princes Street Suites with your family. A two-bedroom apartment is ideal for a family of four indeed , with the option of an additional sofa bed available in most apartments should an extra guest be aded to the list at the last minute! . I hope you and your family had a good time while visiting Edinburgh and all its attractions and that Princes Street provided you with a comfortable and homely place to stay after a busy day exploring the sights . I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had to arrange my sister's hen weekend in Edinburgh for a group of 15. We wanted the freedom of our own place but the security of a hotel. At Princes Street Suites that exactly what we got. Check-in was seamless and the staff were very polite. We arrived on the Friday night staying until Sunday. We had two apartments allocated and couldn't fault them at all. The set up was great. Open plan living/dining/kitchen then 3 bedrooms one with en-suite. All had comfortable beds, modern decor and all clean.
I would definitely use this accommodation again. I booked through a package for hen weekends and the overall price was very satisfactory for the number of people in our party. The location was perfect. Not far from Waverley station and then most of our weekend was spent frequenting George Street.
All the girls thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and were very impressed with the apartments.
Next time I'm in Edinburgh I'm booking into the Princes Street Apartments.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for your great comments , and delighted to read that you and your party have enjoyed your stay at Princes Street Suites . Our two and three bedroom apartments are ideal for a friend or family get-together and I am glad that you have made the most of it . George Street and its fashionable bars and shops are minutes away from PSS, so at least you did not have to walk too far if it turned out to be your area of choice for the weekend . Thanks again for taking the time to write a review - We look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites- Sandrine
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

As most of the reviews say, the location of the apartments is great. We travelled by train (Waverley is two minutes walk away), but all of the main tourist attraction are in easy walking distance. Despite being where the action is, I was relieved by how quiet it is inside the apartment. There was no traffic noise, and no disturbance from other occupants (even though all of the suites were booked during the Easter weekend). The flats are clean, comfortable and modern.

Room Tip: We were t the back of the property on the ground floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for writing a lovely review on your stay at Princes Street Suites during Easter. I am glad the overall experience matched with your expectations . Considering our central location, our guests are pleasantly surprised on how quiet the apartments are , and I am delighted that you have felt the same . I hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best wishes - Sandrine

Been to Princes Street Suites at 16 Waterloo Place? Share your experiences!