“Good standard good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

You added Hotel du Vin & Bistro to your Saves list
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Bristo Place, Edinburgh EH1 1EZ , Scotland (South Side)   |
Ranked #73 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Liverpool, England
“Good standard good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Nicely laid out hotel. Rooms furnished to a very nice standard. Shower was excellent not only simple to use but exactly the correct temperature instantly when it was switched on! Never known a shower do that anywhere in the world! Breakfast was superb as I would expect from this standard of hotel lots of choice to set you up for the day from fresh juices, cereals, pastries fruits and yoghurts along with a nice selection of cooked dishes.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
We had an issue with a meal we had booked one evening which meant we had to go elsewhere to eat and that didnt quite work as I would have expected given the situation but this has now been discussed with the manager who was very understanding.
Overall a good standard of hotel in a good area of Edinburgh, there is an option for Wine Tasting, Whisky Tasting and Cocktail masterclasses in this hotel but as we hadnt seen it advertised we hadnt booked it which we would have done, maybe they need to make sure it is better advertised for people who book?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Graham,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It is a pleasure to read you had an enjoyable stay and that you enjoyed breakfast on both mornings.

I do apologise about the issue with dinner one evening. Unfortunately the hotel experienced a power cut, which impacted up on the kitchen services and we were unable to do dinner.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Then hotel itself was lovely, set back in a peaceful courtyard. It's in a good position to most of the sites and fashionable streets and castle. Taxies are plentiful, drivers friendly and averagely priced.
The welcome from staff on front desk was friendly, warm and helpful.
The room was spacious.
Room service was very good and in a timely fashion.
I've stayed in a few HDV's but this is the worst experience I have had as the maid deliberately left the room dirty. Toothpaste stained dirty sink and shower, faeces around the toilet and the base, there was also traces on the handrail too.she picked up the dirty towels off the floor and refolded them and put them back on the towel rail, she did the same with the towelling robe that I had put on the shower floor to be washed as it had loads of makeup and foundation stains on it, She picked it up and hung it back on the bathroom door peg with the belt retied.
She did the same with the sheets on the bed, it was poorly made with the same dirty sheets from the previous night, makeup and hair product stains as well as hair was still on them.
The bathroom floor was littered with tissues cotton buds and wrappings from products. The bin was still full to the brim.
I have never stayed in a budget room that had such a poor standard of cleaning.
I think it was the deception that was most upsetting, the fact that she pick up dirty items for re-use.
I let the manager know and he was disgusted and very apologetic. He said he would be speaking to the cleaner!
He took a nights fee off of my bill, but the experience put a dampener on the weekend and left a bad taste in my month. I would think twice about staying at another HDV, as they are far from cheap and you expect a certain standard of which I didn't get, it was such a disappointment.

Room Tip: A clean one!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Belladonna,

Thank you for review of Hotel du Vin and once again please do accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience you encountered. It was a pleasure to meet you during the stay and that we could rectify the faults during your stay.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Edinburgh branch of this chain delivers pretty much the same 'cookie-cutter' approach as I've experienced at a couple of the other hotels; the styling is exactly the same albeit in a different location with several local references to provide a unique departure.
You approach through a little courtyard with a setting of 4 person tables which is very popular for meals and drinks through to Reception. The staff are very friendly and courteous.
I had booked the smallest type of room and it has to be said, it was the smallest du Vin room that I had stayed in however, it was very comfortable with all the usual amenities; Nespresso coffe machine, fridge (with fresh milk), safe and bathrobes. The desk was a little on the small side with little room left for much at all.
The hotel directory was being updated and a photocopied sheet explaining the fire safety procedures was left. This meant asking reception for any queries which could've been covered in the absent directory.
Although I'd mentioned the popularity of the courtyard space my room overlooked it and being on the first floor there was some noise from late night revellers.
Breakfasts are good with the option of 'country table' or for a few pounds more the cooked breakfast (but you still get use of the good selection of Dorset cereals, yoghurts, pastries, juices and fruit) with extra coffee/tea and toast offered if you run out!
Edinburgh has an abundance of hotels to offer but the Hotel du Vin, a little off the beaten track, would be worth a visit.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor looking into the Courtyard unless you're an exhibitionist and like noise...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear StevieB,

Thank you for taking the time to review our lovely hotel in Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you are a fan of the hotels throughout the country and that you took the opportunity to visit us.

We at Hotel du Vin do pride ourselves to ensure our guests have an excellent stay and do like to ensure our guests make the most of the available areas to enjoy. I am sorry to read you had some noise issues from guest and hope that this was a one off.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

An interesting conversion of an historic building that once served as an asylum, the hotel certainly has that character that you expect from a Hotel du Vin.
The hotel is well situated for access to the Royal Mile, but a bit of a climb fro Princess Street. That said, the city is quite compact so taxis aren't that expensive.
Our standard double was well fitted, but small.
Breakfast was excellent with a good choice.
Bar prices were expensive.
We paid £165/night, for B&B, which seemed a lot to us, but that may be Edinburgh prices.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AndyBernadette,

Thank you for your positive review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read to had a lovely stay and that you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh. Our rooms all vary in size and our best prices can be found on www.hotelduvin.com to ensure you get the best deal for future stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Location of HDV is 10 minutes walk from princes street for young and able. The route to the hotel is uphill but it's only £4.90 from Edinburgh Waverley in black cab.

The Hotel is excellent, the room we stayed in was a Spacious superior room with roll top bath and huge separate shower. They were very clean and had all the amenities you would expect.

The staff were friendly, courteous and polite. On arrival our room wasn't ready but left our luggage which was the placed in our room for us on our return. The hotel bar is relaxed, the atmosphere is nice and the staff are friendly.

We will use this hotel on our next return to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Try and get a room closer to the bar area. The hotel is large and getting to some of the rooms is tr...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is a little gem and I am glad you had the opportunity to utilise the hotel facilities.

Once again thank you and I look forward to having you return in the near future.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We spent quite a while looking for a really nice Edinburgh hotel for our 1st anniversary and eventually chose a studio suite at Hotel du Vin. I would highly recommend staying here. We stayed for just one night but I wish it had been more. We arrived a few hours before check-in in the hope the room might be ready a bit early. It wasn't but they took our bags and said to try a bit closer to check-in time (3pm) as it might still be ready early. We came back around 2.45 and it wasn't quite ready yet so we sat in the courtyard for a drink. Unfortunately service seemed really slow and before we got to order a drink, someone came to tell us our room was ready. We were shown to our room and told we'd been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite! Our bags were waiting in the room for us. I'm not sure exactly why we were given the upgrade (it was a Saturday night too) but it was a nice bonus and more than made up for the lack of service in the courtyard. The room was amazing. Literally one of the best I've stayed in. We had a private balcony looking on to the courtyard, monsoon shower, battleship bath, great smart TV, really comfortable bed and everything was of the best quality. It was well worth the money. As many others have said, the location is also ideal. Upon check-out, I asked if we could have a bit more time and they were more than happy to allow us an extra hour. Perhaps some of these perks won't happen every time but I'd still go back with or without them. Great service overall, lovely room and well worth the money. Great hotel.

Room Tip: Book a suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Zak,

Thank you very much for your review on Hotel du Vin. I am delighted to read such positive feedback and that we made your 1st Anniversary weekend so special. I do apologise for the lack of service in the courtyard and this is something we have since rectified.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to taking the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is comfortable, friendly and reasonably priced. The restaurant is very good and the bar is lively and interesting. Key Edinburgh sites are within pleasant walking distance. Parking is available, but it is off-site and several blocks away. All in all, a very good hotel choice. I would stay at Hotel du Vin again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Vaney,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It is very reassuring to receive feedback like yours and a pleasure to read.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon in the near future.

Michael

Been to Hotel du Vin & Bistro? Share your experiences!