“Perfect... great service, great room, great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Apex Waterloo Place Hotel

You added Apex Waterloo Place Hotel to your Saves list
Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 - 27 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh EH1 3BH, Scotland (Broughton & Calton)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Perfect... great service, great room, great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I chose to come to Edinburgh for our 1st Wedding Anniversary. We chose the Apex as there was a good deal on with SecretEscapes.com.

From the moment of our arrival the staff were friendly and professional. We were very early as we were spending the day sightseeing in Edinburgh, so we couldn't check right away. Reception took our bags and said they would be waiting in our rooms when returned, which they were.

We also ate in the hotel restaurant that night, Elliots. They had a great pre-theatre offer of 3 courses for £16.50. When you consider that the main course alone is £15 this was a great deal. The food was fantastic! Very modern cuisine, beautifully presented and served promptly and with a smile.

The room was lovely, very modern and spacious, despite it being a standard room (deluxe rooms are also available). The remote for the very large TV was missing when we arrived but within a minute of calling reception, one arrived at our room with an apology. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in and the blackout curtains were a godsend for our Sunday morning lie in.

Breakfast was chosen from a wide menu and there is also a continental buffet. Served until 11am too which I thought was very good. Check out not until 12pm as well so they are very amenable. As on arrival, we were staying in Edinburgh for a few hours before our train home so they gladly looked after our bags for us until later that afternoon.

The hotel is quite pricey but the old adage of "you get what you pay for" was certainly true here. We did however get a great deal from secret escapes so keep an eye out for a bargain!

I noticed some have mentioned noise being an issue. Our room overlooked the night club in the alley and while we did hear a couple of noises, it really wasn't enough to keep you awake. This hotel's biggest advantage is it is so central, a walk away from everything of interest in Edinburgh. Guess what, cities have other people in too and can be noisy! Only the very lightest of sleepers would be concerned.

All in all a prefect 1st anniversary and we wouldn't hesitate in coming back!

PS We didn't use the leisure facilities so can't comment!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel In June for one night away from the children! On arrival it is beautifully presented and the room was wonderful - large, clean and again very well decorated. The down sides were - the park is a faff as you have to use the NCP round the corner which also costs £21 a night. We ordered a glass of wine in the bar which cast £9 and was like vinegar. At breakfast we had to wait 30 minutes for a table, which when we sat down had not been cleaned and had simply had clean cutlery put on top. We had to send one of our breakfasts back as it was stone cold. That could all have bee forgiven however, if it had not been for the noise during the night! Our room looked down onto a back alley and night club and from about 2 am we had no sleep due to the punters leaving, fighting and goodness knows what else! At 7 am that was followed by a laundry delivery, which appeared to be for the hotel, and came a driver who was obviously very unhappy that he was up and no one else was! Whilst I accept the noise is beyond the hotel's control we were no warned there might be an issue and when seeking help from the staff they really were not interested. I cannot believe we were the first to complain! If going take ear plugs and good luck!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Never write reviews on hotels but felt the need to on this occasion!

Myself and boyfriend stayed at the Apex Waterloo Hotel for 3 nights- found the hotel quite easily with a sat-nav and found it to be in a very good location- near enough to everything we needed. First impression's inside the hotel weren't the best as arrived early at 1.30pm and room wasn't ready- was advised by a very unfriendly member of staff that check in was 2.30pm so we could leave our bags and come back. Even though 2 other sets of couple's arrived the same time and checked in straight away?! We returned back 2.30pm to find room still not ready- we were then told they would allocate us another room so instead of 702 we would be put in 414- after a 4hour journey we just wanted to get to our room to relax so accepted this, even though I had asked as a special request at booking for a high floor.

The room- View was awful- view was of drain pipes and this made the room abit dark at times. Decor of room was lovely- very modern and most importantly very clean. Bathroom was fantastic- huge bath and separate walk in shower, and Elemis products. Another nice touch was complimentary sparkling water in mini-fridge! Bed was very comfy and was huge!!! One problem we had with the room was the fact that on 2 different occasions we returned to the room at around 3.15pm and 4.30pm, and on both occasions the room had not been made up- there were no fresh towels or bedding. I understand in a large hotel it will take time to make up all the rooms, but I felt at 4.30pm it was ridiculous it had not been done. Again for a 4* hotel I would expect this to be better

The pool/sauna/steam room was a nice touch. Did not use the gym but used the rest each evening. Yes the pool was small but was sufficient for a nice swim.

Also the WIFI was fantastic here!!

Did not have breakfast so cannot comment on food at all. We did on a number of occasions use the bar, we found again that certain members of staff were perfectly polite and helpful, yet others were completely rude and came across as arrogant and quite stuck-up. One barman in particular I found to be extremely rude. One our last evening we decided to have 1 last drink before we went to the room- my boyfriend who is 28years of age went to the bar to order and was refused and was asked for ID- my boyfriend explained that we were staying at the hotel( which he was aware of as he had served us drinks earlier that day!!!), and my boyfriend advised he did have ID in our room. He was told to walk to our room to get it. I do not have any problem with the fact we get asked fro ID- i understand fully that most establisments use the 25 rule. I felt that the barman was simply being arrogant and possibly had a bad attitude problem, and it was very unnesscacary and un-professional for a 4* hotel- i especially felt this to be true after the barman saw the ID his response was " wow, I didnt think you were that old" and the proceeded to laugh. I do intent to write to the hotel directly with my complaint, and whilst I understand this was our own bad experience I felt important to give all information about the hotel.

Apart from the bad experince the overall stay was lovely- I would not stay here again purely down to certain members of staff, but the hotel itself is in a fantastic location, beautifully decorated, modern, fantastic amenities, and was ideal for us- hopefully they will read this feedback and make the nesscacary changes in the hotel to make it worthy of the 4stars!!.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just returned from the fringe festival - stayed at this hotel, staff were really helpful, rooms really comfortable and clean, restaurant very good would have no hesitation in staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Haifa, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

When I studied hotel management, many years ago, I was taught that one of the basic rules of hotelier's ethics is to give every guest the best available room for the price paid.

I ordered and paid in full for a regular room at the Apex ("City" room type, 1st out of 5 levels). The Apex advertises itself as "luxury 4 star boutique hotel", and that is exactly what I expected to be reflected in the quality of the room. After a short check-in we were given the card key to room 113 and went through the dark corridor to the elevator (The Apex, it should be mentioned, has an affinity to the color black, which also dominates the colors in the room). Room 113 is at the end of a similarly dark corridor on the ground floor, i.e., four floors below the entrance level on Waterloo Place. Next to the room door there is a service door behind which came a very loud noise of bottles breaking, evidently this is the glass recycling room of the hotel. Still hoping for the best, we entered the room to be greeted by a severely stained carpet. As we opened the curtains we discovered a breathtaking view out of the window: a dark narrow alley with the asphalt pavement coming all the way up to the window sill, a large number of huge garbage dumpster in different lovely colors, and lots of refuse strewn around the street. This room definitely does not stand up to the standard of a luxury 4 star hotel room. We made a quick turn-around; returned to the reception and made our opinion clear about the room we were assigned. After some obligatory computer tinkering we were reassigned a room on the 9th floor, which had everything that you should expect in a hotel of this level: clean, nicely decorated (although I'm personally not into gothic black) and even has some nice view of the Balmoral Hotel's clock tower and the dome of HM register house. This room had only a shower, but the bath wasn't missed in any way.

At 5am I had a rude wake-up call with the distant sound of broken glass being poured from a dumpster. I could only imagine how that sounded in room 113.

A hotel should also be measured by its ethics. Trying to charge full price for a room that is not up to standard does reflect a highly on the ethics of this hotel's management. From reading previous reviews of this hotel I have learned that this is not the first time they are trying to pull this trick (See review titled “Very big let down....” of June 5, 2012). If a luxury hotel tries to better the bottom line by selling sub-standard rooms, it should be done with a fair warning to customers and a substantial reduction in room price.

I hope that the next time the Scottish tourist board reviewer comes to this hotel she will ask to stay in room 113 and grade the hotel accordingly. Until then, I would recommend looking for other good hotels in Edinburgh city center. In any case, stay away from room 113 in the Apex.

My rating reflects the original room and service I got at the Apex.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockton Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend and were pleasantly surprised as we had booked last minute. The rooms are modern and have obviously been recently refurbished to a high standard. The room was nicely decorated and had air con, the bed was very comfortable and although the bathroom had no bath it did have a double walk-in shower.

The bar was unbelievably quiet all weekend to say it was a bank holiday during the festival, but the cocktails were good and reasonably priced. There is no parking onsite however there is an NCP just behind the hotel (Greenside). If you do use this, there is an entrance to the hotel on the same level as the car park exit - it is just hidden down the side of the hotel - don't do what we did and walk all the way up the hill with your case!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The location is great, however, the hotel itself is just average. Some of front staff were not friendly. I expected more from a 4 star hotel. Overall it was just an ok stay. I don't think I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Apex Waterloo Place Hotel? Share your experiences!