My wife and I chose to come to Edinburgh for our 1st Wedding Anniversary. We chose the Apex as there was a good deal on with SecretEscapes.com.
From the moment of our arrival the staff were friendly and professional. We were very early as we were spending the day sightseeing in Edinburgh, so we couldn't check right away. Reception took our bags and said they would be waiting in our rooms when returned, which they were.
We also ate in the hotel restaurant that night, Elliots. They had a great pre-theatre offer of 3 courses for £16.50. When you consider that the main course alone is £15 this was a great deal. The food was fantastic! Very modern cuisine, beautifully presented and served promptly and with a smile.
The room was lovely, very modern and spacious, despite it being a standard room (deluxe rooms are also available). The remote for the very large TV was missing when we arrived but within a minute of calling reception, one arrived at our room with an apology. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in and the blackout curtains were a godsend for our Sunday morning lie in.
Breakfast was chosen from a wide menu and there is also a continental buffet. Served until 11am too which I thought was very good. Check out not until 12pm as well so they are very amenable. As on arrival, we were staying in Edinburgh for a few hours before our train home so they gladly looked after our bags for us until later that afternoon.
The hotel is quite pricey but the old adage of "you get what you pay for" was certainly true here. We did however get a great deal from secret escapes so keep an eye out for a bargain!
I noticed some have mentioned noise being an issue. Our room overlooked the night club in the alley and while we did hear a couple of noises, it really wasn't enough to keep you awake. This hotel's biggest advantage is it is so central, a walk away from everything of interest in Edinburgh. Guess what, cities have other people in too and can be noisy! Only the very lightest of sleepers would be concerned.
All in all a prefect 1st anniversary and we wouldn't hesitate in coming back!
PS We didn't use the leisure facilities so can't comment!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the city centre to the East of Princes Street, this historic building combines traditional features with contemporary style. This four star deluxe hotel has 186 stylish en-suite rooms with widescreen LCD TV, large desk, free Wi-Fi and local calls, ground coffee and selected teas, luxury toiletries, iron and ironing board. Other facilities include Elliot's Bar and Restaurant, Events space for up to 184, and a Spa. The spa's pool, sauna and gym are free to guests and a range of Elemis spa treatments can be booked in the single and couples treatment rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Apex Waterloo Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex Waterloo Place Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex Waterloo Place
- Apex Waterloo Place Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland