“Central, modern, trendy hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great deal:Save up to 30
Ranked #14 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Central, modern, trendy hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

This is a central, modern, trendy hotel close to all of Edinburgh’s nightlife.

My room was bright and spacious and the bed was possibly the most comfortable I have ever slept in! I did not want to get up the next day.

This hotel has a gym, spa and pool, which although small never felt crowded.

I didn’t eat here but tried the bar which was OK.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here.

2,362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011 via mobile

The location of the hotel is brilliant. It is approx a 10 min walk away from the golden mile and endinburgh castle with plenty of things to see on the way. The only gripe about location would be the proximity from the car park. To be fair it's only about a 5 min walk however carrying bags and suitcases across roads and up streets filled with people was a little annoying. To be fair, there is a short stay parking lay-by outside the hotel which you could pull up at, one person quickly gets the bags out and then another person drives to the car park, but either way, as you can imagine, it was hassle all the same. The hotel reception did say there was a back door to the hotel to get to the carpark easier, however it didn't seem easier to us at all. The hotel offer a discount for the parking, however even with this discount the parking still came to £17 per 24 hrs (!!!) which to us seemed abit expensive - I dread to think what the full price was!

The hotel has a bar, restaurant and spa facilities with a pool which is free to use which I thought was very good. The restaurant seemed expensive however I'm sure the food would have been of a good standard. In my opinion, don't take the breakfast, as it is so expensive! There is a cafe literally down the road that will do breakfasts ranging from £3 - £5 which was for a full English. Much better than the prices at the hotel. They also have free wifi.

Service at the hotel was brilliant with the rooms cleaned daily and to a good standard. Reception staff was friendly and obliging, always at hand with maps if you need to know how to get somewhere.

The rooms were absolutely lovely with everything you would need. The rooms are spacious with a huge TV and a DVD player. The ONLY gripe was that the TV remote and iron was not working when we got into the room, however after a quick call to reception a maintenance man was in the room sorting it out for us. Bed was huge and comfy, and bathroom impressive in size and style, huge bath, separate shower (another little gripe - the water kept turning hot and then cold in the shower) and little extras such as shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. They even had a rubber duck which you can keep which I thought was a really nice touch. There is a good hairdryer so no need to pack that if you were thinking about it, and all rooms have full tea coffee and hot chocolate making facilities with cookies to go with it. Rooms also have an iron with ironing board and dressing gowns. The style and lay out of the room was brilliant and really well presented.

A great hotel in a great location, worthy of all my given 5*s. Well recommended x

• Stayed March 2011
West Yorkshire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

The hotel is extremely well situated about two minutes from Princes Street and a short distance from the main railway station. If you arrive by train exit the station by the "Calton Exit" (it is signposted), turn left after the stairs, go under a bridge and the entrance to a lift which will take you up to reception (level 5, I think) is a few yards on the right side of the road - Simples! Our start was not brilliant as we were assigned to a gloomy room at the bottom of what seemed to be a ventilation shaft. We asked if we could be moved and we were without fuss but, unless the hotel was full, we probably shouldn't have been allocated the initial room in the first place. (Management please note!). However, the rest of the stay was excellent. Our room was furnished in a modern style with a good workdesk, 2 chairs, low coffee table a large flat screen TV, generous wardrobes and an empty fridge - well done as a lot of hotels don't think about this! In addition there was a safe (refreshingly easy to operate!) and an ironing board. The bathroom was pleasant with a stand-alone shower and a good flow of hot water. There was air-conditioning on which I cannot comment. - is this ever necessary in Edinburgh? All in all good accommodation. Breakfast was included in our rate and we had a full Scottish breakfast which had been freshly cooked and was actually served on hot plates - well done! Coffee and toast were plentiful and the meal was excellent. There is a bar - quite small for the size of the hotel - just beyond reception. It was quite pleasant - especially if you can get a window seat and my late night liqueur was so sensibly priced that I had another - again well done. Overall we had an excellent stay and I can thoroughly recommend the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

There are some fine hotels in Edinburgh but the Apex Waterloo is well ahead of the pack. They say location is everything. Well, you cannot get a better location than Waterloo Place which is only a 2 minutes stroll from the shops of Princes Street and George Street (Jenners and Harvey Nick's!) and very close to many of Edinburgh's finest retaurants, bars and nightlife. When you enter the Apex you immediately see the unique style and classiness and you know you have made the right choice. The welcome at check-in confirms, again, "I'm going to enjoy it here". I was blown away with my room and the view from it. Again, you witness a style that you'd normally expect in a perhaps a W rather than an independent private hotel group. I have given everything 5 stars because I could not find fault or see room for improvement in anything during my stay. I regularly travel to Edinburgh and have stayed in The RF Balmoral, The Hilton Caledonian and The Intercontinental George - none of which have impressed me as has the Apex. My stay began with a warm smile and friendly welcome and ended with the most superb Scottish breakfast I have ever had laid before me. I cannot wait for my next visit and I suggest you get yourself to The Apex as soon as you can to experience luxury, style, comfort and incredible value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Varied
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here recently for a weekend. We booked through laterooms.com on a room only basis. The room and facilities were fine but we were very disappointed with the breakfast. Having paid an extra £10 each for the breakfast, we would have got better value by going elsewhere - the previous day we paid less for a wonderful spread at Jenners. The hotel staff simply couldn't cope with the numbers. We queued for 15 mins; during this time, staff rushed by but none stopped to apologise or say how long the wait would be. When we finally sat down, service was ok but a little rough around the edges. There were no plates by the fruit buffet and our cooked breakfast was lukewarm with undercooked sausages. All in all, a disappointing experience.

Overall, the hotel was clean, in a good location and served its purpose - just don't bother with the breakfast!

• Stayed February 2011
Northumberland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Four of us just stayed in two rooms for one Saturday night. We arrived very early but were immediately given our rooms which were definitely up to the Apex London standard that we had previously experienced. Reception service was excellent. The room was lovely and quiet and everything worked.
Just a couple of minor quibbles - some of the bar staff were less than welcoming and there were some little extras missing - nibbles with bottle of champagne etc. There were some mistakes with our supper in the bar, but the food was fine. The over head height cleaning was poor. These things did not spoil our enjoyment, but our stays at the Apex in London have always been perfect and I am sure that this Apex is capable of matching them with a little more effort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
East Ayrshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Just got back from the Waterloo Place Hotel and what a great time we had, we arrived on the 11th March to the 13th for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary and what a lovely time we had,when we arrived we had been upgraded first by our family then by the hotel we stayed in room 835 and what a suite it was "fantastic" also a nice touch of fresh fruit and a bottle of wine, thank you all at the Waterloo for a great week end

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Apex Waterloo Place Hotel? Share your experiences!